Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i know i havent been on in awhile but im still alive. ive just been busy lately with college and a new girlfriend. anyway, to my question.

so i got a set of new speakers for both my cars for christmas and i went to replace the rear speakers in my yellow car today and noticed that the bolt patterns were different. the new speakers i got have 4 mounting holes and our cars only have 3 drilled. they are Sony Xplod 6 and 1/2 4 way speakersmodel number XS-R1643. anyone use these speakers or have a similar problem? sorry i didnt search i got 2 minutes to type this before i got to go to work. lol.

any positive input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
hey guys, i know i havent been on in awhile but im still alive. ive just been busy lately with college and a new girlfriend. anyway, to my question.

so i got a set of new speakers for both my cars for christmas and i went to replace the rear speakers in my yellow car today and noticed that the bolt patterns were different. the new speakers i got have 4 mounting holes and our cars only have 3 drilled. they are Sony Xplod 6 and 1/2 4 way speakersmodel number XS-R1643. anyone use these speakers or have a similar problem? sorry i didnt search i got 2 minutes to type this before i got to go to work. lol.

any positive input is greatly appreciated.

Yeah i had same problem with same speakers. i just bolted one for awhile , then used my dremel to drill new holes...if you can get one down tight should be fine for a temp fix

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
yeahh.. this shit pissed me off.
i was like, wtf?
all that made such a big problem for me.. but im not gonna go into detail.

im going to just make a wooden ring with 3 holes in it so i can bolt those to the 3 holes then ill just screw the speakers to the woooden ring.
i havent gotten around to it yet though.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks guys. for the time being i have one screw in just to keep them in place. MthaFuknGreen, that was what i was thinking of doing when i get time. actuallly i was thinking the exact same thing. lol. that will also help make it easier to put the fancy speaker cover on cause its tough with the carpeting on the back panel.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
its mainly just to make it look nice in my case..
cuz i like it looking flush.

my speakers just went out on my not too long ago, so i have some small floor speakers buckled in my backseat for the time being. haha

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no they didnt fccruzazul. all i did was take some spare particle board and cut out some 4 cirlces (2 for each car) and i drilled some new holes. wasnt hard. only problem is all i had was 3/4" particle board so they stick up quite a bit. so i wrapped the edges in electrical tape (easy, looks fine) and you dont really notice. heres some pics of the ones i just finished that will go in my other car when i get it out of storage:

some with the speakers sitting in it

and finally with the cover on.

i dont have any pics of the ones in my car right now. im tired and its really cold out. lol.

yes it is a ghetto fix and yes i could have done a better job, but you know what? ive never really been one thats too worried about looks, as long as it works and works well.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
lol
ghetto is my middle name.
look at the medicine balls i made a few years ago.

filled em with sand.
you shouldve painted em though..

but you did a pretty good job on those, work with wood often?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I used some risers on my rear 6_1/2's too. Although, I went through a lot of trouble putting the risers below the stock panel. Then attaching them and the speakers in that tight space.

It's annoying to do speakers on a 3rd gen. At least to do them right.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I used some risers on my rear 6_1/2's too. Although, I went through a lot of trouble putting the risers below the stock panel. Then attaching them and the speakers in that tight space.

It's annoying to do speakers on a 3rd gen. At least to do them right.
totally.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
thats wierd, my pioneer speakers fitted straight in with no hassles!
those pods you made look ok, hope it works out ok for you

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
but you did a pretty good job on those, work with wood often?[/QUOTE]\

im sorry but i lol'd at the....but seriously that does look good 1988hondaprelude

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
lol
it was a pun though, my father and i are cabinet builders.
his father too.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
lol
it was a pun though, my father and i are cabinet builders.
his father too.
That is very cool. You have a true crafted art then to pass on though your family. My family descendants on my fathers side were real carpenters (not the illegal immigrant type). Eventually things split and my uncle Jeff does cabinets now. The fist son of my grandfather, his name is Jack, built a house from the very trees he removed from his land. He lived in Maine with a wife and made a multimillion $$ bussiness but still... He cut his own trees and built his own house from the land. It is amazing but the builders craft stopped there. I'm the only man carrying on this name in the family now. I have built a boat dock and a deck addition, and maybe finishing some bedrooms. I couldn't build a house quite like my uncle did.

My dad is an engineer. He just creates plans and solutions for large facilities and factories. I almost took up this as a career since it's second nature to me. But alas, I'd rather build computer systems and sever solutions.

Man how the last few generations changed.

I'm way off topic.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
That is very cool. You have a true crafted art then to pass on though your family. My family descendants on my fathers side were real carpenters (not the illegal immigrant type). Eventually things split and my uncle Jeff does cabinets now. The fist son of my grandfather, his name is Jack, built a house from the very trees he removed from his land. He lived in Maine with a wife and made a multimillion $$ bussiness but still... He cut his own trees and built his own house from the land. It is amazing but the builders craft stopped there. I'm the only man carrying on this name in the family now. I have built a boat dock and a deck addition, and maybe finishing some bedrooms. I couldn't build a house quite like my uncle did.

My dad is an engineer. He just creates plans and solutions for large facilities and factories. I almost took up this as a career since it's second nature to me. But alas, I'd rather build computer systems and sever solutions.

Man how the last few generations changed.

I'm way off topic.
Way off topic...

But it was an interesting read, for sure -- especially since I am going into Mech Eng next year.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
triplelude, thanks for the interesting read. lol. my grandfather was a mechanic for most of his life and my father became an engineer while being his own mechanic for a hobby. i am following in my fathers footsteps as im majoring in engineering science at the moment planning on switching to mechanical engineering next year and i am keeping cars (preludes to be more specific :) ) as my hobby.

haha back on topic i actually dont do much work with wood in the topic realted element of the pun mthafukngreen attempted. lol. they work great though, hardly noticable. but they were a pain in the ass to get in properly. mostly the part of gettin the back 2 screws in cause of the damn window but otherwise they were easy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts