Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard mittens talk about these a while back, and I'm starting to think I want some. My 4 channel amp is only powering my front speakers and I've got 2x75 just sitting there asking for something to do... so I was wondering if anyone had any experience making these, do I need to run them with like a class D amp or could I use low pass bass or my crossover on the hu. anyone have a good link or some pics? At this point i'm just thinking about it but it sounds like a fun project. I don't want tons of bass but I want some nice midbass since most of my music doesnt hit deep enough for me to hear my crap ass sub. WHat speakers would you recommend using? just 6.5 or 7" midbass drivers from any reputable company?

my other option is toss that idea and put 150 watts to my front speakers and put in a better sub instead. you guys think 150 rms is too much for the mb quart premiums? I love how they sound right now (most of the time, tweeters still hurt my ears a bit at super high volumes) and I dont want to over power them or blow anything.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yep, I do :)

First, most midbass drivers are designed for IB, not sealed. eD makes the Eu-700 which is a high-excursion midbass driver made to be used as, well, a small sub. I used a pair and they work phenomenally.

So, get a pair of those, and 75w would be enough to make them move. It wouldn't be stupidly loud, but they'll go low and clean.

The MB's like power. That's what I feed mine, just be careful to over-drive them. They do sound PHENOMENAL when pushed though, stupidly stupidly loud and clean. Nothing beats "Carry On My Wayward Son" at 140+dB

The size advantage means they can occupy small nooks without compromising the size or weight of your car, and don't need kw of power.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sooo.... how bout this idea then... put all 150 watts to the mb's and use my other amp (mtx something or other) forget about a big trunk sub and put 120ish to each sonotube behind either seat?

are the tweeters at risk pumping that much power? I really don't wanna kill these things...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That works. The tweeters can handle like 50wrms. It's the midbass drivers you should be more worried about. 120wrms per bass driver would be fine, too.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, should I be amping the tweeters and mids seperately? I just have all the power to the crossover and split from there... I don't really wanna buy another amp, does the crossover filter some power to the tweeters?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah, that's what you're supposed to do. That's fine. A crossover just splits the signal between the tweeters and the woofer while attenuating each channel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.