Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few days before x-mas there was an ice storm where i live in indianapolis. I had dropped my lude off @ a dealership in the ghetto part of town to get my idle pully fixed(pully separated from bearing)$150. Well the dealership people wanted to leave early because of the bad weather so i told them to leave my car unlocked and to place the key under the mat in the trunk because i had left my spare up @ school. I would have left my car there if it were locked, but they wouldnt be open for 4 days, i needed transportation and i wasnt gonna leave an unlocked honda in the ghetto w/ a key in it. So i went and picked her up. On the way home, while driving about 15-20 in a 45mph zone i slid into a 6 foot deep ditch and turned the car off immediatly to avoid oil starvation/ fluid leak of somekind. Using my dads truck we tried to pull it out but we couldnt so i let it sit for 12 hours until morning. It took the towing company 50 minutes to get it out. they had to use 2 wenches. Luckly the tow guy cut me a deal of $90 (was quoted @ ($150-175).

ever since i got the vehicle back on solid ground there are a few things that i have noticed different about the car.

1. it seams to smoke more, but is not consuming oil nor coolant

2. my gas guage seams to read @ the "E" level after about 250 miles, but when i go to fill up it only puts in like 10-11 gallons.

3. my pass seatbelt light refuses to go off even though the blet is plugged in.

I have checked all the fluid levels(except trans) and done a complete tune up since the accident, took it to an alignment shop to see if anything was bent and all is ok.(except the bumper, bumper beam, fender, combo light)

is there anything else i should do/be worried about? i know cars are made to sit parallel w/ the ground. and letting one sit @ a 45* angle for 12 hours isnt good for it

here is a cellfone pic about 35 minutes into the recovery. my car was completely in the ditch to start, with the front pass side being the side that took the impact.(no those arent my skid marks)

Basically i ended up w/ a paint scraped and slightly bent fender(which i bent back), a broken combo light(replaced), a scraped and paint chipped bumper, and a broken bumper beam which i have come to find out is very rusty and basicly fell off

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch! at least the damage wasn't too bad...
edit- maybe you should change the oil and have the coolant flushed just in case they mixed somehow. you could be burning off coolant that got into the oil or something.
i have not changed the oil, but plan on doing that sometime this week.
as for the coolant: everything in the overflow is green/yellow u think that it would be blackish if there was some kind of prob on either end?

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
i have not changed the oil, but plan on doing that sometime this week.
as for the coolant: everything in the overflow is green/yellow u think that it would be blackish if there was some kind of prob on either end?
if anything mixed it probably wouldn't show up in the overflow unless you drove around after the wreck and got the engine hot enough to pump coolant into it and even then, it already had green coolant so any mixed fluid's color would be very diluted and hard to notice. if it mixed it probably wasn't much. it would take more than 45 degrees to get oil to come out i'd think. it was just the first posibility to come to mind when you said it was smoking more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if anything mixed it probably wouldn't show up in the overflow unless you drove around after the wreck and got the engine hot enough to pump coolant into it and even then, it already had green coolant so any mixed fluid's color would be very diluted and hard to notice. if it mixed it probably wasn't much. it would take more than 45 degrees to get oil to come out i'd think. it was just the first posibility to come to mind when you said it was smoking more.
yea i've driven it, hell she started right up and i drove her 2 miles back to my house! @ first start after the accident it smoked like crazy and died during idle, but i have put nearly a 1000 miles on it since the accident and it seems to drive just fine and the coolant is still normal in color. ill change to oil later today and see if how it looks.
Thanks for your input by the way it is greatly appreciated.:emthup:

EDIT-now that you mention it i think i was low on coolant after the accident, but i didnt think anything of it because i didnt remember ever checking the coolant level before the accident. lol

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Wow, you got lucky if that was all that was damaged. I would have been sick to my stomach if I put my car in a ditch. Pics of the damage?

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
there are a bunch of coolant passages moving around in the intake manifold. maybe (and i stress maybe, because the oil passages and coolant passages are supposed to be isolated from one another) some coolant spilled into the intake and thus into the engine and burned off.

and no problem! thats what the site is for ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
ouch! at least the damage wasn't too bad...
edit- maybe you should change the oil and have the coolant flushed just in case they mixed somehow. you could be burning off coolant that got into the oil or something.
x2 ^^^^^ change your oil ASAP.....don't forget the filter...I know I didn't need to say that but you just never know. some times the filter is over looked.

From the looks of it, is that a S model. If so, you might have gotten a ton of oil in the vacuum lines and it's just being sucked into the carb. If I'm wrong then just omit what I've said.

Good luck

Pics of damage please!

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I think it's a 91 2.0 Si, not an S. At least according to his Gallery description.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's a 91 2.0 Si, not an S. At least according to his Gallery description.
correct.
in my orig post i said it wasnt burning oil, but what i meant was it isn't burning any MORE oil than it was before.

i cant find my camera for the right after pics but the bumper was hanging off that side, the fender was bent against the headlight keeping it from opening properly, and there used to be red paint where there is now bare metal

here is a pic i just took on my cell. this is after 10 minutes with a rubber mallet, hammer and a $4 trip to the junk yard

just got back from getting my oil changed(normally id do it myself but i dont have a garage here @ school) guy said it looked normal so i must have burned most of it off. car seams to not smoke much at all now so that must have been the issue. i had them check out my coolant. it was of decent condition he said. and it was still yellow w/ no milky residue or foam near the cap. so i think all is well.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My bad. They only reason why I asked is by looking at his mirrors, they look to be manual. I would still check your vacuum lines, because you could have had some oil leak down into the intake and it's sucking oil and gass at the same time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad. They only reason why I asked is by looking at his mirrors, they look to be manual. I would still check your vacuum lines, because you could have had some oil leak down into the intake and it's sucking oil and gass at the same time.
they are manual. i have the base model si as cheap as it could have come from the factory

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Most of the 90 and 91 2.0si (b20a5) ludes that I've seen in junkyards have had manual mirrors.

I would suspect that when your car was sitting at a severe angle like that, the oil would have settled to that end of the engine. The oil may have seeped past the rings on #4 piston and filled the combustion chamber with oil. If a valve was open then that oil would go directly into your intake or exhaust manifolds. If this happened, it would take a little while before all that oil residue burned off.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Most of the 90 and 91 2.0si (b20a5) ludes that I've seen in junkyards have had manual mirrors.
interesting factoids....

there was not a 91 S car, 90 was the last year for a carb'd honda car in the states

the 90-91 2.0Si got the left over manual crap (and lack of fog lamps) from the 88-90 S cars.

the 90-91 2.1Si (2.1Si ALB, and 2.1Si4WS) continued to get the power stuff from the 88-89 Si with the 4WS car keeping the power locks.

i never did understand why Honda put power windows on Si (and 2.1Si), but reserved power locks for the 4ws cars....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts