Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to my car yesterday and the car wouldn't start. When I turned the key at sounded like something was sparking loud. So I jumped it off and went to auto zone and bought a new battery and it started fine. Then today I went out to start it and it doesnt make a sound at all when I turn the key. I have AEM pulley kit on the car but I know its not that because the old battery had it on there for like a month. The last thing I did to the car was installed jdm fog lights. Please help me this is pissing me off.

Is it my alternator? If it was fried could that drain a new battery that fast? My car is GA kept so its not the temp.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
check you main power cable. It goes from the battery - straight to the starter. Make sure it is not frayed or touching any other metal. Next I would check your main ground wire and make sure that is not frayed. If both those lines are good I would start checking that your radio, interior lights, rear exterior lights, or any other accessories are turned off when th key is full out of the ignition.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol I just found out what it was. The dumb ass at auto zone didn't tighten the positive! Yea Auto Zone FTW haha. Owell Im happy its not something really bad. I missed seeing my foggies on.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
lol I just found out what it was. The dumb ass at auto zone didn't tighten the positive! Yea Auto Zone FTW haha. Owell Im happy its not something really bad. I missed seeing my foggies on.
Good Job. Its always great to find out it was a minor thing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think that if you have a bad alternator and you start your car, it will run straight from the battery. Careful where you test it, some places are not accurate.So get your alternator tested first.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that if you have a bad alternator and you start your car, it will run straight from the battery. Careful where you test it, some places are not accurate.So get your alternator tested first.
I just said that I found out what it was but thank you.

·
_
2,494 Posts
haha! good job.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
You mention that you have AEM pullies, the problem is the Alternator pulley. I had the same exact problem with my car awhile back. I had both the PS and Alt. AEM pullies, and after about a month or so, my car had a hard time starting, so I took the Alternator pulley off, and haven't had a problem since. I do still have the PS pulley on

·
Registered
380 Posts
You mention that you have AEM pullies, the problem is the Alternator pulley. I had the same exact problem with my car awhile back. I had both the PS and Alt. AEM pullies, and after about a month or so, my car had a hard time starting, so I took the Alternator pulley off, and haven't had a problem since. I do still have the PS pulley on
Sorry to revive this old thread, but my car has pullies on it too. And my car has a hard time turning over now. I have a brand new battery like 3 months old. Is the alt. pulley not allowing the alt to charge enough to the electrical system? I have a full system in my car as well. The other thing to note is that I changed my spark plugs about 2 weeks ago. Only the past few days has it started acting funny when trying cold/hot starts.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
take your Alt. pulley off, cause that's what's killing your battery, especially since you have a system hooked up

·
Registered
380 Posts
take your Alt. pulley off, cause that's what's killing your battery, especially since you have a system hooked up
I just had my battery tested today and it was putting out 500+ cold cranking amps and said the battery is fine and so is your altenator. The guy from Advanced auto said it might be my starter.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Try hooking up jumper cables to test and see if the car starts right up just fine. If it does, then it's definitely not the starter. I'm just posting my experience with having the AEM Alt. pulley on my car and having a system hooked up.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
+1..... The aem pullies underdrive the accessories to free up power robbed by the accessories, if you have a system it is a bad idea to run the alt pully with a system. IIRC, AEM pullies or some other underdrive pullies state that it is a bad idea to use them with a system.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
+1..... The aem pullies underdrive the accessories to free up power robbed by the accessories, if you have a system it is a bad idea to run the alt pully with a system. IIRC, AEM pullies or some other underdrive pullies state that it is a bad idea to use them with a system.
Aye, only safe underdrive pulley is the lightened aluminum stock size pullies, dont know how hard those are to get for the h22 now but I got mine 2 years back; in a way I guess was more for looks than underdriving as any bonus is from the stupidly light weight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
check you main power cable. It goes from the battery - straight to the starter. Make sure it is not frayed or touching any other metal. Next I would check your main ground wire and make sure that is not frayed. If both those lines are good I would start checking that your radio, interior lights, rear exterior lights, or any other accessories are turned off when th key is full out of the ignition.

all good answers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts