Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling out of a parking I got on it to cross traffic and I slowed down in the center lane and got a chance got on it shifted and something took a shot it started jumping a little so I putnit into neutral. When I got to a parking lot I couldnt see anything as far as I could see that appeared to be broke. Then I tried to crank it in gear and it started a little jumping motion. I towed it home and now it won't crank it all it tuned over ounce and made a weird niose then it started making a ticking noise and the electronics would shut off. I need some opinions on what it could be? I just replaced the tranny and clutch.
Posted via Mobile

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
To me it sounds like the clutch. That happened to me on an 88 Camero.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The batt didn't shift but it has done that before. The old clutch that I just replaced was completely destroyed 3 of the 4 springs fell out and the one I replaced it with was a clutch masters clutch kit that came with an exedy clutch. If it is the clutch what is a good brand that is durable and has a long life, I've read on here about a clutch everyone is buying off of eBay. When my cousin had the car a mechanic told him to put a Honda clutch in it which is what I replaced in the mid of november.
Posted via Mobile

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
itd be easier to read if you used punctuation.

but yeah, sounds like a dead battery, and an alternator that isnt charging the battery, hence why the battery died lol.

·
blubyu
390 Posts
I would first check battery and alternator. Because if u don't have power it won't run right sputtering ,things flashing ETC.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya there was only one way it could have went on right and my dad showed me and the paper I got with it showed me.
A faulty battary ground I could seriously believe
and the tranny should be fine still, if it was the alternator or battary wouldn't the battary light be on?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
The battery has a ground, but that is not the only ground that can cause problems. The engine itself needs multiple ground wires in various places, else the spark will have insufficient ground and the electronics might do strange things. Make sure to check, repair, clean, or upgrade the engine ground wires.

The battery might be going bad. Have you check the voltage (both running and not) with a voltage reader?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battary was recently replaced. What about it hopping when I try to crank it in gear?
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
My car did the same thing its the battery or altinator it wont send the juice right and it shorts shit my car would spit and sputter and then backfire and shut off

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The battary was recently replaced. What about it hopping when I try to crank it in gear?
Posted via Mobile
it could still be a bad battery, batteries can be bad even if theyre brand new..
take the battery back to where you got it and have them check it.
and have your alternator checked.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Posted via Mobile
You are NEVER EVER supposed to crank/start a car while it's in gear. It should only be started in neutral mang unless it's a auto trans then park is fine. Honestly, I'm shocked that you didn't know this.

Unless you have the clutch in, which is still not good practice. With the clutch in and the car in gear it should not hop. If it does hop like this, you need to check the clutch fluid level, or worse. It's possible the clutch is worn out or something was not right when it was put together. OR maybe you didn't follow proper clutch break-in procedure for the first 500 miles.

Here's some things you need to check for the hopping issue:
--> Check the clutch fluid reservoir. It is the smallest reservoir located on the firewall. It takes DOT3 brake fluid. You want the fluid level to be filled up to the FILL mark.

--> Check the clutch pedal has free-play at it's highest, up position. I think it's 1/2 to 1 inch of free motion before you have the 'pressure'.

--> Block the front wheels and make sure the area around the car is clear (safe). Put the car in NEUTRAL with the brake ON. Push the clutch in and try to start it.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The check batt light doest always come one when you have a charging issue or dieing batt. So dont be alarmed if it doesnt come on and when your having a problem with that particular part of car.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright I finally got a dry day to go and try to push it into my shop and I decided to try and get it to atleast crank first and I put it on the jumpstart mode and the lights came on and it did that weird thing were all of the electronics cut off well I started messing with the negative battary cable (I left the key on so I could hear the fuel pump purge) I was moving it side to side and it would start the purge and then I would try and crank of and it would just mess up again then it must be that connector that hooked the ground to the tranny so it must be that that's keeping me from cranking it.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 20 of 29 Posts