Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my lude started acting funny a few week ago. Minutetapping at first only at and above 2k. now after a week or so its louad as hell and it does it at all times. then i was out driving around and it starting smoking like ive never seen. from the engine bay only. so i pulled over and popped the hood and i see that there is either gas or some other type of fluid ontop of my header. looked like it was coming frommy vavle cover. I have no idea what it could be and im hoping its not to severe. I have a B20A5 and i drive it all the time everywhere everyday. i put 60k miles on it in a month and a half. i change my oil reagulery and keep up with the maintance. I hope that my engine isnt dieing on my. but that what i fear is happening. i pulled the Vc and looked at my cam and above the #2 cylinder it had a scrath/grove on one of the lobes. i dont know weather its the exhaust or intake. any help on what could be going on with my beloved lude would be great. i changed the spare pulgs and that helped for a little while but now its way worse.:wzbigcry: this is my first honda and i dont ever want to give it up. its so fun to have an 88 4WS that i feel in love with this car. and spend more time with it than i do my friends. lol please help. ask me questions so i can further tell you whats going on with it because im sure im leaving something out.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I'm sorry, but it sounds like the block may have liberated a piston rod. When you hear a rod knock, usually the engine damaged is caused by insufficient, or inadequate lubrication. Also high rev driving can do it. If you have an oil leak or burn oil, the oil level may have dropped and you didn't even notice it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn

you had my at high rev driving. when i first got it it would cut out at 5500rpm then the check engine light would come on and even if i floored it after that it wouldnt go anywhere. so i had to turn it off then turn it back on and it would be fine but still do the same thing at 5500rpm. then one day it just stopped. so i was like cool. then it ran fine for a while now this. you think my engines dead then? what does having a liberated rod mean? im a noob at honda's :( and yes it does burn oil like crazy. and the person before me had driven it hard as well. and i put oil in it every two days just to make sure. when i took off my VC there was all kinds of nasty sludge in there. ugh

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
if you drive it much more there is going to be a fist sized hole in the engine block. The rod is bent/bending My guess is the #3 piston, that's the one that went in my lude

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn that suckes to hear. i hope thats the only thing it messed up. time for a rebuild sounds like. if its worth it. i have the 2.0l SI. so i guess ill put together a parts list and see what happens. i dont drive it ever since it got this bad. maybe once of twice. but i havent in about a month now and its killing me. i love this car. guess tomorrow ill start taking apart this engine. has 214,XXX on the odm. i wonder if its because i one point i took out my thermostat and ran it straight. for about a week or two then put one in. my friend told me it would be fine.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
look into buy a jdm b20a. it can almost be cheaper then rebuilding, depending on how much of the work you can do yourself rebuilding your old engine.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
55mph 24/7. Impressive

·
Registered
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Damn, 1333 mis. a day!!!!

But srysly, sorry to hear the news. Post a video or pics. We love that shit, and it may help us help you. G/L.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thats what happens when you abuse the fuck out of an engine....and I dont buy the 60,xxx in a month and a half. 1,333 miles in a day is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
heres how i drive my car. i dont care if you belive me or not. i love driving more than i like people. i go to work at 7am get off at around 5pm. then i get in my car go a fill p and drive around until the next morning at 5am. i never drive the speed limit. and im always racing around. could possibly be 50,xxx but my trip resets after it hits 9999. and its rolled over a few times. so yea. then on my days off i get up at 9am then go get some friends and we go cruising all day. i mean all day. then they go home and i drive around until 6am or so. i have sleeping problems so thats my way of couping. too much bad shit has happened to me in my life. and it helps that i love music. and have a nice sound system in my lude. so yea believe it or not. i dont care if you do lol. i dont see why anyone would lie about that? i dont want to be cool in your peopls eyes. we are on the internet. whoop dee. but ill get around to taking some pics and vids later on today and have them on probably over night. im going to start taking apart my block in about an hour. and i want to keep my B20A5 i dont much care for B20A but they are only $650-$850. so idk

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I will point out one thing...
I think you're full of shit.

Normally I'd not make comments like that about anyone but you're pushing the realms of reality so I may as well do something unusual as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i dont care if you believe me. who are you to me? im not here to impress you people just get help with my problem. and if you guys are just going to say im full of shit then whats the point. im 21. not a kid. i dont have to lie to be anyones idol or buddy. im me. thats the bottom line. i love my car and i drive anywhere and everywhere i can. period. call me a liar if you want hahaha just because you dont believe it possible. theres been alot of things people say are impossible. but we see people everyday doing the so called impossible. im not saying i do this for braggin rights. i love to drive and drive fast. so i do all the time when im not working. i dont need 8 hours of sleep to function 100%. thanks for add/adhd lmao. Anyone going to actually help and not talk down on me would be appreciated. thanks for those of you who have lent a help comment.

·
Registered
208 Posts
55mph 24/7. Impressive
:rofl: omg this is unbelievable!

how about this...assuming you get about 20 mpg, and you pay about 3.65 dollars per gallon, you'd have to pay nearly 11,000 dollars in a month and a half. I don't know what job you have at the age of 21, but that's a lot of money...

Seriously dude, how do you expect people to believe you?

·
Registered
748 Posts
i see we are bashing the noob ay. b20a is a good motor but if u have emissions stay with ur a5 and besides when u do rebuild it will be new again just dont pass 3500 rpm until u have about 3000 miles on it. use regular oil not synthetic when u rebuild it until about 3000 miles

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I don't care how many hours of sleep-driving you do, or how many mg's of adderall the doc prescribes. The thing that tics me off is the lack of care you do/don't provide for a 3rd gen Prelude. This engine loves oil changes, and that includes oil filter changes. There is a 88-89 lude in a museum for having over 700,000 miles on it's original engine. That's because the oil change has a religious schedule.

The oil + filter should be changed every 3,000 miles, or 3 months (which comes first). I have learned that even with 3+ spun bearings, the B20a variant can survive longer than 3 years with a religious schedule of every 2,000 - 3,000 mile changes.

What you have is a rod knock. Sounds like a rod bearing has turned into metal dust, sunk a trench, or rotated in it's journal. The only way you can have that is by neglecting oil schedule, or racing-type abuse. These things are not rocket science, and you can learn all you need from this website and several service manuals. And maybe some Google searches and YouTube videos.

I have a couple degrees in Information Technology, but I rebuild and repair everything on my two 88 ludes myself. Yes, I am the dude who rebuilt the PGM-CARB system twice, and never stepped foot in an automotive classroom.

What we need from you is to man up, or step forward, and admit to the BS you said earlier. Then, just tell us what happened to your Prelude. Do not be ashamed. I've done some really stupid things with my ludes too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
ive got 400000k on my stock a5 its been street raced by both prev owners but it still runs i change my oil every 1,500 miles and they changed it every month as long as u keep up on mantinance it can run forever

1 - 20 of 43 Posts