Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the people who originally installed my headers had the first one misaligned and it blew off causing the rest of them to blow off. None the less my engine is fine and I got to drive to the shop sounding like a nascar contestant. It is still far from done but I am just getting started.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
That is a fail picture waiting to be photoshoped...

And wtf. Thats a brand new onEEE!!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Who and what shop put that thing on?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
you can't really misalign a header flange unless the flange was manufactured incorrectly (possible with a cheap header)

but those welds blew clean off, an engine can't break welds, the engine would just die, something else happened there, it doesn't even look like the pipes were welded as clean as they broke, closer pictures please

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
bwahahahaha holy crap that is hilarious, how the hell does that happen? There is no way to put a header on wrong, it only goes on one way. What kind of header was it? I wonder how it sounded with the exhaust ports open like that

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Yeah, there is no way your motor caused that to happen.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are mugen headers and exhaust. lol My mechanic took them and held them back up and saw that one of them was not completly aligned right. If you look at the picture you can see that the far right pipe is blacker at the connection. I originally bought the engine from JDM racing motors with the headers and exhaust.

bwahahahaha holy crap that is hilarious, how the hell does that happen? There is no way to put a header on wrong, it only goes on one way. What kind of header was it? I wonder how it sounded with the exhaust ports open like that

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
that tells me nothing...:p

if you could get a picture as close as you can while getting a very clear picture i might be able to tell something, turn the macro setting on your camera if you have it, and preferably in full daylight, what brand header is it?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i really can't figure it out, because obviously it was used, and has worked for a while, and it looked like it was wrapped, which may lead to cracking, but its so uniform...i really don't understand

did you bottom out and hit it or anything?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine didn't die or anything although when I heard it I thought the engine was knocking and cut it off. It ran fine after and during. I don't know what happened I just threw it into 3rd at 70 and they blew off. (I have shifted that low before with no problems) It puts me at about 6 grand.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
i wouldn't run it without a header on it, you risk ruining your exhaust valves. especially not for very long, because of the rapid heating and cooling from them being exposed to cool air then hot over and over again.

that is very odd tho, those "blew off" very cleanly.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i can't tell anything after its welded, how big is that first picture you posted, can it be zoomed in alot?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only ran it for about 15 min to get it to the shop then they tack welded it on. I am not running without headers. lol Not only is that illegal but I wouldn't last a second on my side of town with the cops.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
its not worth messing something up, not to mention it shoots fire out the exhaust ports constantly...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Could have been a shitty welding job done all around and then with the stress of the motor tourqing they all just popped off? I have no idea but that is one of the weirdest things i've seen today.

Edit: I also know that they flare fit pipes for plumbing, not sure if they tried that with a header, maybe thats why it popped off some clean.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts