Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my build. Pix upon request.

Any wyas, i did everything allready. Almost spent like 8 or 9k in parts and build. I got 2 problems. I havent installed my gauges due to lazyness and a fight i got into with my builder.:sneaky2: Second one is that its smoking. I called the tuner, we talked, grabbed a beer, a talked it out. So i wus gonna take him my car again, and i went to drive it to his shop. I turn her on, let her heat up. Back her out, and drive her down the street. Well she behaved good, becuase shifting like a little girl in 3k was the way i always treated her. I look in my rear view only 2 see 2 dudes racing on the street behind my house, so i down shift and floor it, and she started to bounce of rev limiter at 4k? im like ok wtf, pull into the grass, they pass me, whatever. So after that, she started to smoke. White smoke. ALlote. So i get to an autozone, turn her off, let her cool down, like 2 hours wait. Come back, turn her on, she turns on quick. So i start driving again. No smoke. I get to a street to pull into a little quick, and i give it gas, and she revs hard, spools up hard, and hit 4k and bounces again. PSSSH. I let off, she starts smoking again. So i once again, drive down the street, get home. Let her rest, then turn her off. I turn her on right again, and she dont smoke, and turns on fast.

I check spark plugs, no oil. not wet or anything.
Gas is 93.
CAr is good on compression.
Smoke after boost like my old rx-7 with a blown seal.
WTF!!!

I turn her on, no smoke. I drive her calm, no smoke. Im not beating on her, so no flames for that. I just needa make it to the tuner. 20 minutes from my house. Any input?

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
So it's already tuned? Maybe he put in a boost cut and since you have no gauges you aren't seeing that you're overboosting and therefore hitting the rev limiter way too early? Just a thought

BTW white smoke usually = coolant. Hopefully it's not a bad headgasket

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
white smoke usually means 1 of two things:
1) blown HG
2) oil leaking out of the turbo into the downpipe, which can be caused by many different things

that is the ecu you got from me right? is it the same basemap i made you still or did someone make any changes to it?
-it could be the launch control kicking in when it's not supposed to be, which is usually only caused by the ecu not seeing a vss signal or reading 0mph.
-or as said above, it may be over boosting and hitting the boost cut that i set (11psi iirc)
-or if you have certain trouble codes it could be in limp mode
-or you may have a problem with the fuel system, causing it to run out of fuel completely when getting into boost

i know through talking lately that its a fairly hacked up setup, so it could be something as simple as a vacuum line not connected correctly, or a wiring issue, or something internally wrong, there are ton of different things it could be. what i would say is stop driving it like you are cuz it can only make matters worse. if it drives fine when you're not boosting it, then just drive it to the tuner, and have him figure it out and fix it and tune it. hell, it could just be that it needs the tune

either way you look at it, you really need to stop boosting it until the problem is figured out and fixed.
i dont get why some people continue to romp their cars as if its 100% and fully tuned when: a) on a basemap, b) when something is wrong, c) both

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
white smoke usually means 1 of two things:
1) blown HG
2) oil leaking out of the turbo into the downpipe, which can be caused by many different things

that is the ecu you got from me right? is it the same basemap i made you still or did someone make any changes to it?
-it could be the launch control kicking in when it's not supposed to be, which is usually only caused by the ecu not seeing a vss signal or reading 0mph.
-or as said above, it may be over boosting and hitting the boost cut that i set (11psi iirc)
-or if you have certain trouble codes it could be in limp mode
-or you may have a problem with the fuel system, causing it to run out of fuel completely when getting into boost

i know through talking lately that its a fairly hacked up setup, so it could be something as simple as a vacuum line not connected correctly, or a wiring issue, or something internally wrong, there are ton of different things it could be. what i would say is stop driving it like you are cuz it can only make matters worse. if it drives fine when you're not boosting it, then just drive it to the tuner, and have him figure it out and fix it and tune it. hell, it could just be that it needs the tune

either way you look at it, you really need to stop boosting it until the problem is figured out and fixed.
i dont get why some people continue to romp their cars as if its 100% and fully tuned when: a) on a basemap, b) when something is wrong, c) both
So ur saying the turbo is gone? Maybe.
it does pass 4k every once in a while.
Wiring was hacked up, put only one wire per injector like u told me. That part is done kinda bad, but its done right. All injectors are throwing there ammount, because it is actually back firing at 4k too. Like actually poping and everything.

I have 2 options. Fixing it, and getting it tuned, because im currently jobless. I got enough to get this tuned, and fixed if its simple.

Or get a new car.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
word of advice, if you are jobless save your money and ignore your car and its problems for now. That money should not be spent trying to repair a car when you have no income. The most likely senario if you fix it with your left over money is that you sell it because you would then become broke.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
word of advice, if you are jobless save your money and ignore your car and its problems for now. That money should not be spent trying to repair a car when you have no income. The most likely senario if you fix it with your left over money is that you sell it because you would then become broke.
I can get a job... in one month.

Update~~~
I pulled spark plug number 4... car didnt change at all... Im guessing now, if its spark plug, or the Injector isnt working. I dont smell gas at all on it. And there is no carbon. So where do i look at>?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If the turbo is gone, smoke would blow like a train from under the hood, and you'd smell oil burning.

White smoke is coolant:
I'd check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. I pray that it's not that.

Blue smoke is oil:
If this is a high mileage car and you are using a synthetic oil it's possible that oil could be getting by something.

Black smoke car:
car has improper fuel or spark and should be retuned

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the turbo is gone, smoke would blow like a train from under the hood, and you'd smell oil burning.

White smoke is coolant:
I'd check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. I pray that it's not that.

Blue smoke is oil:
If this is a high mileage car and you are using a synthetic oil it's possible that oil could be getting by something.

Black smoke car:
Its white smoke... It smells kinda sweet 2...
Me neighbor is pointing at its oil. They are gonna check my car extremely good to make shure its not a few things. He guessing my head is kinda gone. Ima do a check in a few, to see if its just that that spark plug isnt working, causing the car to fail, and maybe causing it to smoke.
My injector could maybe be the problem... HOping its something that simple.

But if the injector aint working, its 2 things. The computer, or the injector itself... Gotta start from scratch. Ima first check the oil, THANK ATOM KANE!, Then ima pull the spark plug wire, and ground it, to see if its sparking... Then ima pull the spark plug and see if thats causing it to fail, and if its none of those, then ima see whats next in line for the lude.
Ima keep uall updated.
Carlos

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I'm just waiting for, "Im tired of this crap, I'm parting it out". :p. hahahaha jk. Naw but it is a high mileage motor, what can you expect. Didn't you say 148K or somethin around there. You said you haven't got it tuned yet, did you?Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... NO tune YET.

Im ready to get flamed for the problem.

Problem was that my...um... Injector wusnt connected... causing it to idle bad...

Smoking was oil... due to i over filled my oil... My turbo was getting over filled with oil... Its actually not oiling any more.
Lol....crap.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts

White smoke is coolant:

Blue smoke is oil:

Black smoke car:
um no, you're wrong, in several ways. apparently you dont have much experience with turbo stuff do you.

when a turbo leaks oil into the exhaust, it doesnt get burned in the engine, so it does not burn blue and it does not smell like burning oil, because its not burning. oil leaking from the turbo into the exhaust blows white smoke, in any amount from barely noticeable to can't even see through it, and anything in between. and it has a very strange smell that smells nothing like typical oil burning like an engine burning oil.

considering this car is turbo, it's just as likely that the turbo is shot as a HG being shot. and considering the setup of this specific car, its actually more likely that the turbo is blowing smoke. either from the turbo being shot and actually leaking, or if the feed is too big, or if the drain is too small, or if the drain isn't routed correctly, or if the drain connects to the oil pan in a bad location or too low.....

·
Registered
472 Posts

You wont regret it. What happend to the other one?

I had a change of heart, and synapse had a special on the manifolds, $550 shipped, oh also i got more cash than i was expecting for christmas.

but you have a civic half size radiator correcto?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a change of heart, and synapse had a special on the manifolds, $550 shipped, oh also i got more cash than i was expecting for christmas.

but you have a civic half size radiator correcto?
Yesh maam. Optionimports.com
GOood pricing. Fast response. Fast shipping.
And get an FAL Fan. Trust me. its good. well worth it.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Actually he got the rad and fan from me, but no im not doing anymore hook ups. Sorry

1 - 20 of 260 Posts