Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
how long did it run with the oil light on before it stalled? how far did you drive it? you said it was dry, did you change the oil b4 restarting it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i drove it about a nlock before it stalled and the light was on for a couple min before
yeah i changed it to see if it would change color
it did so i figured the head gasket is blown
havent gotten around to opening it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
wooo thats too much work to be done
tried opening it
just gonna tke it in
unless any one my area wants a couple hundred bucks to do the job

·
Registered
12 Posts
is'nt it great being capable of doing your own work on your car! Saves a ton of money! I can't immagine paying a shop to do something I can do. But there are those cases that an "experienced" tech should take the reigns and git'er dun!

·
Registered
541 Posts
don't you think that was a little harsh hondaquualude. wtf do you know
I obviously know more than you...you whored the thread with your worthless comment about me being harsh and had nothing educated to input into this conversation...so fuck you ass hole..that harsh enough for you?

back to the topic here... how far have you gotten taking the head off? start simple and work to the bigger things, get some plastic bags...label them corectly and stay organized...

1) empty the oil out of the oil pan
2) loosten the plastic drain plug for the radiator..loosten lower and uper rad hoses..remove and set aside
3)get some tape out (masking) and label all of the ruber hoses and start pulling them off and numbering them
4) remove all intake pipes, filter all that bull shit
5) remove all wiring harness wires that are connected from the main harness to the smaller one that is bolted onto the engine
6)loosten exhaust manifold at the flange (3 bolts?)
7) remove all exhaust manifold bolts, and pull the manifold from the head
8) remove the valve cover...(super easy)
9) dont forget about the couple of bolts under the intake that hold it to the block for support...
10) start removing the head theres 10 14mm bolts i think?...remove them in a cris cross fashion... if they feel like there not loosting dont force them you WILL break them off in the block and then youl be toast...
11) after you have done that the head should lift off with a little plying...its kinda heavy i stood right ontop of the car and squated over it and pulled it straight off...
12) remove the head gasket and scrape the surfaces on both sides completly clean
13) inspect valves for burn wholes, inspect pistons for burn wholes...(personaly i would replace the rod bearings,main bearings, piston rings while you had the motor this appart)
14) carfuly remove carbon from the inside of the combustion chamber...i used a solvent and a roud wire brush on a drill (being extremly carful)
15) place the head gasket on the block and GENTLY place the head back on it...if you drop or pinch the gasket you can destroy it so be carfull..you may want to again get over the whole engine and squat over it to place the head on straight..
16) go in reverse order putting all the little tid bits and shit back on that you took off. i may have missed a few things but you get the basic idea of how to do it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
bump for my awsome post...and kick ass how too =D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts