Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just bought my 1986 prelude after losing my 1999 civic, doing the body work on it and fixing it up:Rock:, on the way home i stalled it, first time driving stick anyways so before that happened, the pgm light come on, dont know what that is
and the oil light came on i was just a couple blocks away so i kept on going
anyways so i stalled it and never turned back on the tow truck guy said i probly blew the head gasket, the radaitor fan also doesnt work, wasnt working from when i first bought it, i also noticed that there is muffler smoke coming out of on the hoses that connects to the engine :|, im not sure how the wiring is on the preludes but im pretty sure thats not right :jehon:, also the speedometer and turn signals do not light up,
could anyone give me any pointers on what could have gone wrong? also whats a nice color to paint my new prelude outside and interior? paid 2 hundred so im willing to invest:tongue2::Rock:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Check your oil and fuses. Replace fuses if they're blown and fill the oil if it's low. Then start the car and take out the garbage/ash tray thing in the rear drivers side panel and look down to see if you're throwing any codes. Then come on here and search for codes and see what it is.

Also, check you radiator fluid and hoses and make sure none are cracked.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ok, looks like your all happy got a new car for $200 great.
but on the way home you got a warning and ignored it, I prolly would have too. then oil pressure light came on and you ignored it. Now you have big problems, the engine is prolly toast.
So I'm guessing the alternator belt went away and driving w/o a water pump isn't good, and w/o oil pressure is really bad.
So get some buddies to help you find out what really happened.
look for foamy white crap in the oil, if there is blown headgasket or worse.
look for black stuff in the coolant, same as above
see if you still have a alternator belt intact
do this stuff before spending a penny on anything, this may have turned into a partscar and you may want to rethink/ restart with a fresh car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil was completly dry, it starts now, but it looks kinda greeny coffee color i looked around might just do an motor rebuild, whats the latest engine that i can put into it? anybody know

·
Registered
833 Posts
The newest direct swap with nothing needed would be an 87 engine haha. Sounds like you blew a head gasket. Just replace that if you don't hear any knocking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i dont like doing the dirty work on cars so im just gona take it in for that after im done painting it dont wanna invest too much into the engine if the car is gonna look like crap, now about the radaitor hoses anybody know excatly how there supposed to look or be hooked up???

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
its pricy to get a head gasket done, you could change it yourself and save like 1000 dollars

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
oil was completly dry, it starts now, but it looks kinda greeny coffee color i looked around might just do an motor rebuild, whats the latest engine that i can put into it? anybody know
tj you are wrong...the newest engine is from a 89 honda accord.

its pricy to get a head gasket done, you could change it yourself and save like 1000 dollars
yup....i got a gasket set from ebay for like 45 bucks and then it took me 3 hours just to get to the damn thing....my uncle put it together for me tho...he is a mechanic...saved me a crap load of money.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
well he could run the 89 accord engine, but it would use our intake mani or even but a b16 one on there and their exhaust, or rebuild the whole engine.

Messyhonda we all have A20A3 its all the same enigine, just different intake and exhaust

·
Registered
541 Posts
650??? holy fuckin shit.. how much are you paying an hour labor????thats 100 an hour at 6 hours.. and 50 for the part.. thats a hose job bro... take the enima hose out of your ass and buy the felpro gasket from autozone.. spend 5 hours fixing the damn thing.. 650$ is just way to much to pay for that repair.. you could rip out that engine and re-build it for less than 650... god!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
don't you think that was a little harsh hondaquualude. wtf do you know
650 is too low....alot of people sale cars cuz of blown heagaskets...they are not craigslist all the time. it makes me sad cuz the cars are in great shape but when a repair cost more than 3/4 of the cars value ppl sell them...

try the autozone guide it tells you how to do it....i was impressed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can have the head off the engine in 2 hours flat without beakin anything and thats in a junkyard with bad tools.If you know any one good mechanically ask them for help if your in mass I'll help you for god sakes.Why spend 650 on a 200 dollar car fix it yourself .You'll learn something too..................

1 - 20 of 33 Posts