Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the starter cranks slower and slower in recent few weeks, so this morning I checked and cleaned the battery connections. Then I started the car (with very slow crank) and let it run for about 10 minutes to charge the battery. When I tried to start the engine again the starter cranked for only several times and it went silent.

I called my friend jump starting the engine but it's still the same (cranks a little bit at very low rpm for the first try and then goes silent for next few try) Just worried if I need a new starter or just a bad battery? Btw the engine runs well and I can confirm its not an engine issue for sure.

I checked the battery voltage and its 12.64V at my first failed try. And after few attempts it went 12.25V for now. I don't have any tool to do the load test on my battery.

·
Administrator
6,548 Posts
Have the battery properly tested, sounds like it no longer has the needed cca to get that starter rolling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd start by checking the entire length of the black ground wire starting from the alternator and ending at the negative connection at the fuse box. Corrosion can run deep into wires and the fact is that over 50% of voltage is lost when it travels through corroded wires. If that is okay, I'd be looking at ALL my grounds. Remember, there are commonly overlooked and often dirty as heck grounds on the left side on the frame next to the air filter, right side on the frame behind the windshield washer fluid, to the left of the starter, and (I've had this happen) under the carpet to the right of your leg when you're driving. I am saying all this because of you needed to clean your terminals, then you've got an electric issue. Terminals don't corroded for no reason at all. And lastly, if you've smacked your starter anywhere but the solenoid the you broke the magnets inside of it and the starter will need to be replaced.

Oh second last thing is check the ignition switch wire leading to the starter, it's the little bitty one. While you're there make sure the ground and positive bolt nuts are TIGHT against the starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts