Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 10" slim fans on my prelude for about 6 months. They worked fine zip tied to my first radiator, but after that radiator rotted out, I installed a new one(took old rad. out, new one in, fans put back on) not really rocket science. But somehow, my brand freaking new $200 radiator is leaking. Its not from either of the hoses, it seems to be leaking from a zip tie. Im using the round pull through zip ties that came with my radiator.

I can get pics later today, because my mom is using my car and is having to put coolant in it.

Has anyone else had these issues?

·
Registered
411 Posts
you dont really need two fans anyway. Just chuck the one that dosn't work lol
(the second fan is for the A/c)
????

both his fans work... his radiator is leaking

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
you paid 200 for a new radiator?
is it atleast completely metal?
cuz my old one had plastic for where the hoses connect.

i bought my new one, all metal for 130.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the radiator is going through coolant pretty fast. It appears to be leaking around the upper-passenger side zip tie.

I have 2 12" Flex-a-lite fans with "through the core" zip ties for about 8 months now and have had no issues. My radiator is a CSF Brass/copper type. Is your new radiator aluminum ? Did you put too much force on the zip ties ?
I very well could have. It is Alluminum, or at least it appears to be. I have posted some pictures of what it looks like.

you paid 200 for a new radiator?
is it atleast completely metal?
cuz my old one had plastic for where the hoses connect.

i bought my new one, all metal for 130.
Regardless of how irrelevant that question is, yes i paid $194.00 at autozone for a new radiator. There was a cheaper one, but i wanted to make sure and pay extra for the better part.

Here are the pictures:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
are you sure its the fans fault?
maybe your zip tie is too tight and it cracked the radiator?

why did you use zip ties anyway?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
go to a shop and ask them to do a presure test on the radiiator. I dont think it costs to much if anything

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Yeah, the "through the core" zip ties are pretty much the universal system for mounting aftermarket fans. Don't confuse these with the regular zip ties. There isn't much a radiator shop can do with "aluminum core/crimped on plastic tank" radiators. At least the brass/copper ones can be soldered.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There isn't much a radiator shop can do with "aluminum core/crimped on plastic tank" radiators.
they can tell you were its leaking or if its leaking it could be a hose and when you drive it moves around If you cant see the fuild comeing out then its most likely not that bad and can be fixed or replaced if its just a bad raditor you got from the store:headbang:

·
blubyu
390 Posts
I know his radiator is leaking that's y i put LOL is was a joke. Anyway there are plenty of boosted and high compression motors all over the place running ONE SLIM FAN if you buy a fan that blows more cfm aka air then stock you wont have a problem. And almost any part you get from autozone and or advanced is going to be cheap crap trust me I used to work there. You would be better of going to honda or napa. I would say replace the cheap radiator.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
And almost any part you get from autozone and or advanced is going to be cheap crap trust me I used to work there. You would be better of going to honda or napa. I would say replace the cheap radiator.
200 isnt exactly cheap.. lol
i would say, when it comes to radiators, go to a store/shop that only sells radiators.
they price match, and they know their radiators, so theyre most likely gonna have a good one.

the plastic broke on my old one, all metal is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Well it had a limited lifetime warranty, im gonna call Autozone tomorrow and see if I can get my money back. So NAPA is a better place to buy from?
no, go to a RADIATOR SHOP.
shoot for one thats all metal.. and ask them if they price match and say that another place sells it for 131, but they have to order it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, go to a RADIATOR SHOP.
shoot for one thats all metal.. and ask them if they price match and say that another place sells it for 131, but they have to order it.
I dont know the need for the ALL CAPS, but thank you for the information that was between the lines.

Autozone should refund the money right? I have the receipt and it says limited lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
I dont know the need for the ALL CAPS, but thank you for the information that was between the lines.

Autozone should refund the money right? I have the receipt and it says limited lifetime warranty.
As long as they determine it was defective and not damaged upon installation. Once they see the broken fins, they might not honor it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as they determine it was defective and not damaged upon installation. Once they see the broken fins, they might not honor it.
I know a guy that works at the store i purchased it at, so maybe i will get lucky.
But since using zip ties like i did is a common method of attaching a fan, and the radiator didnt support that, then isnt it defective?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I know a guy that works at the store i purchased it at, so maybe i will get lucky.
But since using zip ties like i did is a common method of attaching a fan, and the radiator didnt support that, then isnt it defective?
a common method is different then the manufacturers method.
they might not take it back.
the radiator is not meant to hold anything up, ie: slim fan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts