Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced all speakers in my 1991. Si 4WS .... I just wanted simple swap, nothing special. When I searched the forum, looking to find what is actual stock size speakers, information was kind of mixt up .... So If you are looking for basic exchange this might help (at list will if you have '91. SI). Actual stock size, for my model is 6.5 all around.

I found this
Polk DB652 UltraMarine Dynamic Balance Coaxial Speakers, 6.5"
to be exactly the same size as original Honda speakers

For the back it's a simple drop in, if you want to use factory cover, you need to cut this speaker "ears". Front is almost the same, I need to trim a little bit bottom part of the speaker basket, to clear up for speaker connectors. Speaker fit inside the basket as good as original.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 1990 mine are 6.5 all around. I went with Kenwood for the rears but door speakers haven't worked since I got the car...will be figuring that out soon as I finally just parked my car for it's refurbish session. Refurbish thread coming soon as I start this coming weekend.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, still using stock radio, difference is like a day and night. Original speakers was all mist
up. Huge improvement. Just a heads up, there is a difference in speaker size between '88.-'91. or different trims ...

·
Registered
73 Posts
With respect to the tweeter in your new Polks, was there ample clearance to clear the OEM speaker grille? I have been comparing to other 6.5" 2-way speakers, and some have the tweeters farther out than your Polks.

As for install, is the access to the back speakers from inside the cabin? I apologize for being too lazy at this point to look at my own car.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With respect to the tweeter in your new Polks, was there ample clearance to clear the OEM speaker grille? I have been comparing to other 6.5" 2-way speakers, and some have the tweeters farther out than your Polks.

As for install, is the access to the back speakers from inside the cabin? I apologize for being too lazy at this point to look at my own car.
For the back speakers, remove the grill first (be patient to avoid the damage), you will see three screws holding the speaker in place (yes from inside the vehicle). There is no problem to clear the grill what so ever. Like I said size of this speakers is same as stock OEM speakers (both, diameter and depth).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the back speakers, remove the grill first (be patient to avoid the damage), you will see three screws holding the speaker in place (yes from inside the vehicle). There is no problem to clear the grill what so ever. Like I said size of this speakers is same as stock OEM speakers (both, diameter and depth).
Let me add something which I forget to mention, when you ask me to compare sound, before and after, I forget to mention, that I did put little bit of sound deadening material .... That can also be a reason plus for a better sound .

·
Registered
253 Posts
When you take a look at they specifications, looks like they are good choice for a basic set up. But I picked them up mainly because its size.

I used to sell Mobile Polk Audio back in my Car Stereo days, and am running twin LSi-15's 4 my home system. Polks are extremely underrated and will hold their own with speakers near double the price, imho.

and I was wondering my 89 would only take 5 1/4" so Im jealous... and look into an mechless deck to replace your stock unit. They work great... Alpine UTE-73BT

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to sell Mobile Polk Audio back in my Car Stereo days, and am running twin LSi-15's 4 my home system. Polks are extremely underrated and will hold their own with speakers near double the price, imho.

and I was wondering my 89 would only take 5 1/4" so Im jealous... and look into an mechless deck to replace your stock unit. They work great... Alpine UTE-73BT

View attachment 27706
I was looking at that option (replacing the radio) also, but that stock radio look so good there .... I can not do it at the moment ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
As tempting as it was to splurge on the Polk, I couldn't justify $155 for the set of four (eBay had a couple of postings for quantity x4). Ultimately I just bought some Kenwood 1666s as simple replacement units. Thank you for the suggestions though.

I have used Alpine as my go-to aftermarket head units in the past, and they have always been great and reliable. But echoing Gorstak, there's this "perk" to keep the interior as stock-looking as possible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
But echoing Gorstak, there's this "perk" to keep the interior as stock-looking as possible.
I totally get that.... Im going thru that with my 1964 Dodge Dart GT....... Now THAT is a Car that will have "perks" keeping it as near stock as possible. I dare not to cut holes in the door panels, the rear package tray is 55 year old bone stock material, wanna cut that up? You cant buy it original ANYWHERE! EVER! Even my 4x6"s in the kick panels looks like its coming to a sorry end as well... Hello AM radio with ONE mono speaker..... sigh

An 89 Prelude? It takes 30-60 mins to reinstall the OEM deck and hook it back up when u want to sell your "stocker". Meanwhile, u have Hands free mobile, FLAC, MP3 playback, USB, AND Bluetooth, all for $99 to $199 lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed my Kenwoods, the rears took a little bit of massaging in order for the OEM grills to fit over the speaker frames. The fronts were straightfoward., and I managed to fix some of the door panel clips so that the panel could better secure to the door. The old speakers were just crusted.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed my Kenwoods, the rears took a little bit of massaging in order for the OEM grills to fit over the speaker frames. The fronts were straightfoward., and I managed to fix some of the door panel clips so that the panel could better secure to the door. The old speakers were just crusted.
How does it sound ?!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The sound is definitely a lot more rich and well-rounded. The pricepoint andi'e speaker diameter definitely results in some low-end bass limitations, but overall it's very good.

Question on radio electronics: when reception gets weaker, does the head unit resort to MONO output to help make up for lack of clarity? I noticed that my tape deck was still outputting stereo sounds whereas my radio station outputs were all in mono (i live a little bit away from the urban areas).

·
Registered
253 Posts
The sound is definitely a lot more rich and well-rounded. The pricepoint andi'e speaker diameter definitely results in some low-end bass limitations, but overall it's very good.

Question on radio electronics: when reception gets weaker, does the head unit resort to MONO output to help make up for lack of clarity? I noticed that my tape deck was still outputting stereo sounds whereas my radio station outputs were all in mono (i live a little bit away from the urban areas).

Yes, Im nor 100% sure but I think its the DX vs local function, where if the radio cannot hold a decent stereo signal, u can hit the DX button and it will shift to to become more sensitive, but will automatically switch to mono if a stereo signal cannot be maintained.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts