Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
David Mansfield said:
about 15 hp and 12 torq

Yeah, and that is if you put around 10k into it.

On a serious note, I wouldn't do it, buy a jdm b20a and swap it, it cost around $450-600, don't qoute me on this, but from what I've read on these boards I think that's what they go for. And that would be an upgrade from 112hp(?) to 145hp. And if you are not good at math that is 33hp

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That's what i'm about to do if this crazy old lady would quit trying to get $1500 for the rustbucket i want as a donor car. I gave up on the SOHC motor when it refused to start a couple of weeks ago. Smog-controlled carburetors are a bitch to work on. Especially sidedraft. None of the shops in my area will touch it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
igth but i know carb is not good as fi but why people always crying about carbs i bee living in u.s 4 years n all i listen is 2 people talking shit n crap from where am from we make carbs run hard too.am from puerto rico and ask any =body born n raise in puerto rico about it n he willtell u

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have a carb on my 81 rolla, PUNTO OCHO to you PR guys....I wish i could afford a webber carb for it but all my money is going to my lude. so yea, i dont carbs are a lost cause, just less advanatgeous then fuel injection, which can be fuel tuned a lot easier.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The #1 problem with the carbed prelude is that if you change much of anything on the engine, cam, compression, header, any of that, you have to junk the carbs, as it throws the mixture off.

Replacing the carbs is A) expensive, and B) complicated. You have to know how to tune carbs, or replace them with fuel injection.

Personally, i recommend swapping a FI head (twincam, too) onto it, along with the fuel injection.

That alone gains you 20hp, from 105 to 135, and it allows you to add headers and such without totally revamping the fuel system.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
team123luder said:
Honestly I think at least 200whp with webers, head prep, p n p, and a radical cam..... High comp pistons wont hurt wither....

It's easier to get hp out of a carbed lude then it is a FI lude.... just more expensive.
An engine with better airflow is "easier" to get power out of.
16 valves flows quite a bit nicer then 12 valves, and the exhaust ports on the 16v head are larger then the 12v head.

Neither engine can rev above 7200, so it becomes very much a perfection of flow game.

·
Registered
750 Posts
team123luder said:
Honestly I think at least 200whp with webers, head prep, p n p, and a radical cam..... High comp pistons wont hurt wither....

It's easier to get hp out of a carbed lude then it is a FI lude.... just more expensive.

personaly i think that 200whp is a bit too much dreaming. when you consider a turboed 16v, p n p, bored TB, DOHC, with Cam gears and other modification running 7psi really only makes 180 whp

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Thats rather low, 6psi non-intercooled can get 178whp with stock everything else, 9psi intercooled can get 200-220whp with stock everything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i like fi too but the thing is that i have a 87 rx7 down in pr but i whant too proof everybody that build a fast carb lude is not imposible it all about money but i am going too do it anyway rigth now i have am rebuilding my enginea list of some of the thing i have top line rebuild kit, stage 2 colt cam,head man headers,recon the head new valves mill the haed,piston rings and everithing and saving for the webber carbs.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Yup, there ya go, thats the way to get power out of pretty much any engine, throw cash at it.

Seriously!

The single cam head will cap out power wise before the twin cam, but you should be able to get a decent chunk of power out of the single cam head.

Be warned, if you rev your engine above 7k (7200 absolute) it WILL die. The #3 rod will go flying, and you'll gain a new inspection hole in the side of block.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
igth my goal is at least more then 150hp but people dont understand dont matter what car it is is all about money n am the type of guy that if i whant something i go 4 it.n is al about cash cars means moneyyyy. and what other mods cAN I DO to a my the car other then what am doing.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Well, engine wise, this is what i'd do. 150hp at the crank will be easy, 150whp should be possible, but cost more.

A header (gotta be custom, nobody makes one, that'll be expensive but very worth it.

2.25" high flow cat, and 2.25" full exhaust system, that will help a lot as well.

Weber carbs, and the (custom) intake manifold for them, again, pretty expensive, but a BIG difference.

Those alone should get you 150hp at the crank.

For 150 at the wheels, add a cam, and some pistons (the a3 bottem end has smaller wristpins then the a5 wristpins, accord size, though i have no clue whether accord pistons would fit or not), that should get you at least 130-140whp, in theory.

It bears remembering that nobody has ever really done much to a single cam head!

If your going to get a set of webers, and build the custom manifold for them, seriously consider buying a twin cam head, and building the weber manifold to fit that.

The twincam head alone is worth twenty horsepower, and with a well designed and tuned weber set up, it'll be more then that.

Twincam head+webers = 140hp at the crank, 115ish at the wheels, possible 5-10 more. Add a header (11whp), and your at 150 already. Add the exhaust and high flow cat, and you'll get another few hp, say 155crank, maybe 160.
Add some cams and cam gears to tune them, and should be able to dig another 10-15whp out.
All told, that gives you (very roughly mind you) 170-180hp at the crank, or 140-150 at the wheels.
Add some high compression pistons for an extra chunk of power.

Be warned, if your not proficient in tuning weber carbs, your going to have a hell of time with them, tuning carbs is a tricky business!

(final note, with the A5 twincam head on there, your upper power limits are pretty much exactly the same as the b20a5 motor, the only difference is that tuning is more difficult, and throttle response won't be quite as snappy)
(really final note, if you buy all that stuff, put it all together, tune it, and don't get the power outputs i was guessing, don't yell at me, i am guessing after all, but it should be close.)

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts