Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tell tale signs of when wheel bearings need replacing. How do I know when do replace?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it kind of sounds like humming but only at 20mph and around there. Above 20 it goes away. Below 20 it's there but not too noticeable.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Youll hear kind of a wailing humm. Kind of like if your humming loudly with your mouth closed. Try it. *laughs*

I had to get my rears done because I sounded like a plane landing whenever I slowed down.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The previous owner told me she had the rears done at 70,000. I don't think the fronts have been done yet. Other than the humming my car also gets bad vibration coming to a stop and out of a start but once I'm going it's hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
you will have the humming noise as stated above. when mine went i noticed when the wheel was turned more towards one side it would hum and if i turned it toward the opposite direction the humming would stop. i replaced my left rear last summer and just finished doing the right rear a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front wheels have bearings too right, not just the rears? I hear loud humming when I turn the wheel but It's a different humming def. from the tires because they're winter tires and taking hard turns with them makes them scream.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
yeah the fronts have bearing as well. hope that is the rears because the rears are much easier to replace then the fronts

·
Registered
441 Posts
well i had to replace my rear right side bearing cost me $160 for the bearing from honda but i got it for $100 with a shop discount.. anyways it was rumbling and the hole back of my car was jumping at anyspeed.. especially when im 60mph I sounded like a plane, especially on the highway.

They had somekind of aftermarket prelude bearing for $70 at autozone.. but I wouldnt trust anything else then OEM for a bearing.

P.S. when you change em.. make sure wherever you change em.. you tighten the big ass bolt with high pressure gun and such..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts