Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was just wondering, what are the signs of having bad rings in your motor? My motor runs okay, but I know it can run better. Any input is appreciated

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
irolllow said:
The main sign is low compression... is it burning a lot of oil?
Last time I did a compression test, I was pushing some low number. I don't remember how low, but they were alot lower than normal

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
~ 180 and up is what you're looking for, but most of all you want the numbers to be consistant. look at blake's numbers.. you don't want that.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I did my compression, I believe my numbers were lower than Blakes :wzbigcry: I think I'm just going to go ahead and get another motor and do the swap. My GF's dad has a couple of H22's, so I'm just going to get one of those cause I don't have money for a Type S motor. Plus it'll save time and money, so I'll probably be posting my motor up for sale pretty soon

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
With the amount of oil my car eats I'm not sure if I *want* to test my compression. I'd probably cry.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
prelude1897 said:
Hello everyone, I was just wondering, what are the signs of having bad rings in your motor? My motor runs okay, but I know it can run better. Any input is appreciated
Lack of power.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
prelude1897 said:
When I did my compression, I believe my numbers were lower than Blakes :wzbigcry: I think I'm just going to go ahead and get another motor and do the swap. My GF's dad has a couple of H22's, so I'm just going to get one of those cause I don't have money for a Type S motor. Plus it'll save time and money, so I'll probably be posting my motor up for sale pretty soon
Do you have a Type-SH?

·
Registered
378 Posts
what would happen to the engine if driving with 2 cylinders with low compression ...lets say....135psi on cyl#2...and..........60psi on cyl#4!!!???:eek:mg: :jehon: :oops:

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what would happen to the engine if driving with 2 cylinders with low compression ...lets say....135psi on cyl#2...and..........60psi on cyl#4!!!???:eek:mg: :jehon: :oops:

means you either have some burnt out valves or bad rings....Either way, you'll need to have the internals of your motor fixed....Come to find out, my motor had burnt out valves in the head, and in cyclinder 2, one of the valves was cracked. I just ended up buying a new motor and selling off my old one

·
Registered
682 Posts
bad rings=low oil pressure n you wont be able to open your car up all the way right?? i've got 135k on my lude n i havent ran a compression test on my car but i have no prob red linin it (pused it up to 8k). but is this an accurate way of tellin if the rings n the engine its self are still in good cond.??

·
OILCOUNTRYMODERATOR
1,750 Posts
my car burns oil like a bitch but my compression is still dead on....

how is this possiable...low compression shows leaks where they shouldn't be and most of the time leads directly to oil...

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
dam i geuss i'm lucky as hell i have just over 150,000 miles and have ran about 30lb's of n20 through it and now i just installed my turbo. compression, alittle high but pretty much perfect!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts