Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there Okay so i was playing around with my sidemolding (on the rear 1/4 nearer to the door) trying to get them off, and broke a clip, so i was like, F' It i'm gonna take em off, fill em up and paint em, a step towards a clean lude...

so now i ask, how do i do this... :p, i figured i would just grind it down to metal all near it, and then fill with body filler (What kind? fiberglass filler, bondo??) and then primer and paint...

any tips/ideas, Isearched like mad, seems like bondo is not as liked... so what should i do, i dont know how to weld...

How do i fill the holes left by the clips?

-mike

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
bestbet is to cut and welt a plate in tehre htat sits flush or just below the line of hte car THEN smooth it out and then perfect it with filler.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
question -

with prelude metal so thin why weld on it ?

wont it deform the rest of the metal horribly ?

i wonder if its possible to just knock the seam out... the metal is very thin
(typical japanese car)

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
it's not that thin.
no different than the sheet metal of any other car.

and you can weld in patch panels without deforming the surrounding metal.

it's all about knowing how to do it RIGHT.

you can't really knock it out.

think about it.

it's 3 sides, going in. there's more metal than the actual "opening" that you'd be pushing the indented part out to fill.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Also, you'd have the molding left on the front and rear bumper covers, because that isn't a separate piece. You'd have to get new bumper covers as well.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
just body fill it, and use some fiberglass, not a lot. Unless you do know how to weld and have a sander for smotthing it out as well. take it to a body shop and see what they would do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
flylwsi said:
if you tried to type what it sounded like to talk with food in your mouth?
it'd look like your post... ;)
haha sorry i was typing with one hand cuz i was takin a drink and didnt look at it before i hit post

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
how about building the groove with fibre glass and smothing the finish, resin sticks like fook!

·
12,918 Posts
I say search.. this comes up every month.
You want it to last.. have it welded. It's the single non-ghetto way to do it.
Fiberglass won't last.. it's like putting a bandaid.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i am getting this done right now
First you have to grind to matal then you have to fill with a bondo ,fiberglass, kevlar(bullet proof shit) mix and then light bondo over top for the shape that way it is the strongest
2) you need to make a notch in the bondo where the grooves meet at the front genders because if you look on the moldings they have a weird shape there that is so you can open you door so you need to copy this in the bondo so your doors don't scrape when they open
3) our doors have a natural jagged curve so you can't make them completly smooth they have to take a angled affect. look at your lines and you should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
see you could use bondo but when your door pins decide that they are going to wear out. and the door clips the front fender and destroys all that hard work you'll be pissed. OR you could stop while your ahead and hand the car over to a professional that wil cut and weld in a strip of metal, gring the welds and use minimal bondo. And will be able to get the bondo flush so it doesnt look like someone kicked the shit outta the door.

or you could cheap out and be the brunt of all the jokes i make about cheap ass civic kids that bodo the skirt packages on to make them look like they ar molded. then drive around with primer for 6 months and by the time they saved all their coffee money up to go get it painted the shitty ass fly by night bondo job they did is cracked and looks like shit. then they have to pay for the body guy to redo it for them.
*end of rant*

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
K, thanks for replies, i did search for about 2.5 hrs, either my search skills are crap or the search engine is, some combination of the two...

im considering the metal welding, anyone had this done or done this, how much money, how pleased with the look? also has anyone used the paint touch ups.com thing to get spray paint, kuz im thinking of doing this i have a 90 SR red lude.. (though i should get rid of the SR, kuz its a B20A swap... with D2J5 tranny...) hrm...

maybe ill do the fibreglass thing for now, see how it works,and start saving for welding, get the rear quarters done too...

-mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
welding will warp the metal if you use the right steps then you will not have a problem with anything falling apart
you r going to have to PAY BIG BUCKS to get metal put in and finding someone that wants to do it that is another story i had a hard enough time trying to find someone who would replace the rust in my car let alone do all the shaving and other mod i wanted done so take your time it will come to you

·
12,918 Posts
Fool said:
K, thanks for replies, i did search for about 2.5 hrs, either my search skills are crap or the search engine is, some combination of the two...

im considering the metal welding, anyone had this done or done this, how much money, how pleased with the look? also has anyone used the paint touch ups.com thing to get spray paint, kuz im thinking of doing this i have a 90 SR red lude.. (though i should get rid of the SR, kuz its a B20A swap... with D2J5 tranny...) hrm...

maybe ill do the fibreglass thing for now, see how it works,and start saving for welding, get the rear quarters done too...

-mike
You should start saving for welding instead of working on it for nothing and have a mess of a job later on. I would probably leave the groove in.. and just weld over it. Or else it's gonna be pretty easy to punch in.. it'll definetly not be a saturn.

·
Registered
750 Posts
well. firstly a GOOD body guy wont warp the metal. and if he does thats why he has a dolly and hammer for. and secondly. doing it right the first time is so much easier then doing it over and over.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts