Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to pick up an SI TRANS for my 86 honda prelude i have the 2.0 block with 1.8 head dual keihins.!

was reading the parts interchange and got to the trans section and it said that all gear and final drives were the same except a shorter 3rd gear which is what im looking for, does anyone know the part number to this trans and where i could find this part number?!?!?!?!?!?

for the racecar because at the track i run at im only hitting 5500 at the end of the straightaway in 3rd gear and wont fit the delta 273 grind

as always any and all help is appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Gears

Other options is Integra gearbox which will have shorter ratios for 3-4-5th gears. My Prelude hits 8k rpm in 3rd at 100mph.

With 2.0 block and matching 1.8 head you'll have a lot more torque over the old 1.8 especially as your CR ratio will go through the roof make sure you use Felpro Headgasket and match the chambers to the new bore size any lip will create stress along the gasket sealing rings and cause detonation just smooth it over rather than taking chunks out keeping the CR ratio as high as possible, you can also use Nissan CA18DET pistons which have a flat top rather than dished crowns of the std pistons that way you can match the chambers and still increase CR ratio possible to get it as high as 12.5:1 depending on how much you keep inside the chambers and how big you machine the valve relief pockets on the pistons.

Make sure you use best quality bearings on the big ends ACL race series for B16/18 are the best, the mains not so important but still get a good quality make, the stock rods will take 7500rpm and around 180-200bhp but they most be prepped and stress relieved etc. they are incredibly light only Brian Crower lightweight sportsman rods are lighter and stronger.

Word of advice don't use the stock Honda pistons if you plan on pushing past 7000rpm constantly or running more than 170bhp the ring landings won't take it they break apart been there done it! Either use the Nissan pistons or you'll be looking at forged ones made to suit or for Nissan as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other options is Integra gearbox which will have shorter ratios for 3-4-5th gears. My Prelude hits 8k rpm in 3rd at 100mph.

With 2.0 block and matching 1.8 head you'll have a lot more torque over the old 1.8 especially as your CR ratio will go through the roof make sure you use Felpro Headgasket and match the chambers to the new bore size any lip will create stress along the gasket sealing rings and cause detonation just smooth it over rather than taking chunks out keeping the CR ratio as high as possible, you can also use Nissan CA18DET pistons which have a flat top rather than dished crowns of the std pistons that way you can match the chambers and still increase CR ratio possible to get it as high as 12.5:1 depending on how much you keep inside the chambers and how big you machine the valve relief pockets on the pistons.

Make sure you use best quality bearings on the big ends ACL race series for B16/18 are the best, the mains not so important but still get a good quality make, the stock rods will take 7500rpm and around 180-200bhp but they most be prepped and stress relieved etc. they are incredibly light only Brian Crower lightweight sportsman rods are lighter and stronger.

Word of advice don't use the stock Honda pistons if you plan on pushing past 7000rpm constantly or running more than 170bhp the ring landings won't take it they break apart been there done it! Either use the Nissan pistons or you'll be looking at forged ones made to suit or for Nissan as well.

yeah im looking for the 86 transmission out of the prelude, don't need to be doing 100 in 3rd gear because its a 1/3rd of a mile circle track and witht he base model trans in third im only pulling 5500 rpms at the end of the straight away and im not in the powerband of my camshaft but I know the si trans has a shorter gear hoping to pull around 7500 at the end of the straight away

1 - 3 of 3 Posts