Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHOW is done, time for GO......h22 questions...

ok i know theres a million h22 threads floating around but i couldnt find anything when i just typed in "h22" in the search field......ima noob to the honda motor scene so i jus got some basic questions that i was just looking to get answered....

1. h22 swaps directly into a 4th gen, correct?

2. can i use the stock 5spd tranny or do i need to upgrade, or SHOULD i upgrade...if so, which is recommended?

3. what else will i need? i see a bunch on ebay sellin for about 1k.....most say they include everything like "COMPLETE ENGINE,AUTO TRANSMISSION, DOWN PIPE, MOUNT, ALTERNATOR, A/C COMPRESSOR, POWER STEERING PUMP, INTAKE MANIFOLD, THROTTLE BODY, INJECTORS, SPARK PLUGS, DISTRIBUTOR"....what other costs am i going to need to factor in besides the motor/components that are included + cost of labor swap?

im sure im going to have a lot more questions down the road...but these are the basics that i wanna start with so i know how much im gunna be spendin....

·
Registered
70 Posts
H22 swaps directly in
if you buy it off of these sites im giving to you, they come with the tranny and much more, everything you need

Passwordjdm.com
sunrisejdmmotors.com

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
shit man if i had fresh new paint like you i would hate to have to do all this stuff to my motor now i think u went the opposite direction lol.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah, personally im doin all the "GO" upgrades first, the "SHOW" part comes later, if at all.

Ace

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have a shtty f22 in there right now...it IS stick so im not gunna use the auto tranny that comes with it (if i get one with it)...ill prob just sell it or something.......i was thinkin of maybe goin with an h22 or h23 manual tranny if i could get it for a decent price since itll probably have shorter gears......

as for doing the go now after the "show"...wuts the different though? lol im hopin no harm is done to the body during the swap..there shouldnt be...but is there something im overlooking?

and in regards to boostin..i was plannin on boostin the h22 later down the road as well...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
it will suck for the person working on it cuz they are going to have to be so carfull. i put tools all over on my fenders leaned shit on the fenders. dropped tools/bolts/screws/ rubbed my body up and down the car shit in my pockets would hit the side of the car ect......... no matter how carefull u are somthign is going to happen lol.

but i did a h22 swap in my car like 2 months ago. if u decide on an h22. pm me questions im pretty sure i can answer most of them for ya.

·
Registered
94 Posts
well i have a shtty f22 in there right now...it IS stick so im not gunna use the auto tranny that comes with it (if i get one with it)...ill prob just sell it or something.......i was thinkin of maybe goin with an h22 or h23 manual tranny if i could get it for a decent price since itll probably have shorter gears......

as for doing the go now after the "show"...wuts the different though? lol im hopin no harm is done to the body during the swap..there shouldnt be...but is there something im overlooking?

and in regards to boostin..i was plannin on boostin the h22 later down the road as well...

I might be the only one that says this, but personally I liked my F22 tranny better than the H22. Never had an H23 but I like to cruise on the highway and with the H22 it's hard. At 5th gear doin' 80 i'm at almost 4K. As opposed to my F22 I was at about 2.5K. A lot quieter and easier to deal with. However, where the F22 tranny lacked acceleration past the top of 3rd, the H22 will take you all the way to the end of 5th and continue to pull.

·
Registered
763 Posts
if you get an H22, make sure to get an H22 tranny.
it's a direct swap, but make sure all the accessories such as PS, AC and respective brackets are included in the swap.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Well. Depending on your funds. you might want to build the motor first before you drop it in there.

I dont think you will have a problem with that, since a pic of your car a few weeks ago was a heap. (no offense)
And now its bangin. Looking fresh.

If you plan on going boost. You got to have an idea of what kind of power you want at the end.

250-300whp I think stock boost would do. With a tune. (ofcourse)
350whp+ I think a proper build would be required. (most beneficial)

Low compression pistons, stronger connecting rod's, Stronger cylinder sleeves, Valve assembly, cams maybe. Lots and lots more.

These will be alot easier to install when the motor is out.

So you could build the motor and then swap it in.
Or.
Put the H22 in, then pull it back out when you want to build it/turbo it.

all comes down to how funding.

I suggest reading all the stickies in the Forced Induction Section.

Sticky: Turbo Setups, Prices and Numbers

Sticky: step by step to correctly build and boost (
1 2)

Sticky: Turbo Setup STICKY (
1 2)

Sticky: turbo write-up/junkyard site

Oh yea. 1 more thing. With going boost there is a high probability that you will loose P/S & A/C due to Engine bay space (and the Front Mount InterCooler)

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
why dont you put the h22 head on the f22 block then you will have iron sleeves which means more boost. or go with the h23 head. i have a progress thread on here you should check it out if you decide to do this. personally i would do the h23 head on f22 block if you wanna go boost. then get an h23 tranny.

im pretty sure this is your BEST bet if you wanna go boost on a stock motor. matter of fact i know its the best bet if you wanna go boost on a stock motor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the replies guys...im def gunna hafta do a pretty good amount of research before i get into this...

why dont you put the h22 head on the f22 block then you will have iron sleeves which means more boost. or go with the h23 head. i have a progress thread on here you should check it out if you decide to do this. personally i would do the h23 head on f22 block if you wanna go boost. then get an h23 tranny.

im pretty sure this is your BEST bet if you wanna go boost on a stock motor. matter of fact i know its the best bet if you wanna go boost on a stock motor.
im not gunna boost the stock motor....i was plannin on buildin the h22 and then boostin it? is the h23 tranny better for boost than the h22 tranny?

·
3,589 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys...im def gunna hafta do a pretty good amount of research before i get into this...

im not gunna boost the stock motor....i was plannin on buildin the h22 and then boostin it? is the h23 tranny better for boost than the h22 tranny?
dude h22 is good for all motor. if you wanna go boost im tellin you f22 block with h23 head is best. im sure everyone will agree.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
dude h22 is good for all motor. if you wanna go boost im tellin you f22 block with h23 head is best. im sure everyone will agree.
No they won't.

The H22 and H23 transmissions are largely similar. The H22 is preferential since it has a decently better 2nd gear.

·
3,589 Posts
No they won't.

The H22 and H23 transmissions are largely similar. The H22 is preferential since it has a decently better 2nd gear.
i wasnt talking about transmissions. i was talking about motors dip.

·
3,589 Posts
So was I.
??? if h22 is better for boost then prove it. there is a member on here that has an f22 with an h23 head and is boosting 10 pounds and making 320whp STOCK! do that with an h22 and i will admit that im wrong but until then, h23 head on f22 block is the way to.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
??? if h22 is better for boost then prove it. there is a member on here that has an f22 with an h23 head and is boosting 10 pounds and making 320whp STOCK! do that with an h22 and i will admit that im wrong but until then, h23 head on f22 block is the way to.
I don't think I'd claim a certain motor is "best for boost" based on those criteria (especially when differentiating from "best for NA", as if those are different things), but people with H22-Ts certainly have done things that fit that criteria.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts