Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my buddy drive my car and he accidentally shifted from 4th to 2nd (I have not a clue how you do that on accident), the trans made a hella loud grinding noise and I think that he may have also not put the clutch in all the way. Now the shift boot is making a ringing noise when making turns and accelerating on uneven roads. It sounds like a tiny bell, obviously it’s not, but I don’t know what it is. How can I take off my the center part with the boot to look inside, and does anyone have an idea of what this may be or how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
You have to remove the center console to see if there is damage to the shifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did that and noticed that the left (driver side) rod was missing a washer so I took out one and shifted it to the other side of the eyelet and there’s less play and I haven’t heard the sound but now when I try to down shift into first it grinds is it because of the washer or do I need to adjust my throw out bearing and if so how would I go about that?

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
It sounds like it could be a either a bent shift linkage or some damage further up in the bell housing which will require that you drop the transmission. And that is where you DIY or pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how can I be sure since the shifting into first issue has just come up and I’d rather not have to fuck with the trans unless I have to. If it possible that I just need to adjust the throw out needing or is that not a possibility on our trans

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it because I put the washer on the other side of the eyelet and so now the rod closest to first is ever so slightly angled, would that make a difference

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
The only way to do anything with the throw out bearing is to drop the transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts