Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor car. We replaced the pulley in january, but obviously of no use. It still squeels, and now the engine light is on.

My dad/boyfriend recognize that maybe if they took off the bolt and put on a washer to snug the pulley in, that these problems might go away.

But neither of them want to.

I know I whine to you guys often (not lately though), but like, is their any way for a tiny little girl to get the big bolt off? (okay, im tall, but like, fragile). I don't think it will take back the engine damage, but maybe it will pro-long my preludes life?

F***ing boyfriend/dad. Their such shits.

(I was going to sell car and drive my dads 300ZX, but now i find out i CANT get insured on it... so no prelude=no car).

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Dang...sounds like your b/f and dad are very skiddish....I did the headgasket on my g/f's car...anything she tells me is wrong I fix with no hesitation.

I think you need new company. ;)

It's hard to tell with no sound to listen to, or being there....can you make a recording? How does the car run? Any other weird noises?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
you need to find someone on here that is near you!

It's not easy to get the pulley bolt off... I use a impact gun...

but if you dad/boyfriend can't fix the squeeling...

bring it to a real shop and they will tell you what is wrong right away, and should be able to fix it with minimal cost. They are more equipped with better tools...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Preluding said:
bring it to a real shop and they will tell you what is wrong right away, and should be able to fix it with minimal cost. They are more equipped with better tools...
That's not always true. They couldn't fix my idle surge once...then i noticed a vaccum line was unplugged. Plugged it back in they didn't charge me a dime...

And thre was on time they asked to use one of my tools....way back when i first got the lude....but now I consider myself well equipped to take on any domestic or honda...

·
www.Zohf.com
3,612 Posts
Luckily for me my fiance's mom's boyfriend (haha, I know) has more tools than I know how to use, plus a nice dual bay garage and a huge driveway, and I can use them whenever I want...only thing he doesn't have is a lift, but I can't have everything ;)

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
u will need a pulley tool. i have a moroso. from there its not to hard to get off. remove the fender trim under the car. the plastic it will make it easier to get to...or take it to a shop...i used a washer on my acura and it stopped squeeling. i havent had any probs yet w. my lude...thank God. since everything else seems to go wrong...where r u located? if your near NJ i can help u out...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... well I'm in Olympia, WA. But, either way, a shop is not going to do anything to this car cheaply. And I've checked.

I love this car but I just wish I could get rid of it. It's been nothing but a headache since day 1, honestly.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
apinkpony said:
... well I'm in Olympia, WA. But, either way, a shop is not going to do anything to this car cheaply. And I've checked.

I love this car but I just wish I could get rid of it. It's been nothing but a headache since day 1, honestly.
That's no way to talk about a 3rd gen!!

·
12,918 Posts
You're pony died because.. it wasn't.. pretty enough... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
http://deadpony.ytmnd.com/

You just gotta learn to do things yourself more and not count on others.. even if you weigh 100lbs. At some points I relied on other people for certain things.. now i just said fuck it and do it myself.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i dont see how a loose crank pulley would throw a CEL though. but ok.

anyway, a shop wont charge much to take off the crank pulley and put a washer in there. hell, at the shop i used to work at i would have done it for 10 bux. takes 5 minutes with an impact wrench. and you dont even need to take the pulley off. just remove the bolt, put a washer on the bolt, put the bolt back in. simple as that. easier said than done though if you dont have an impact wrench.

this is assuming you're talking about the crank pulley and not another pulley.
and no, you dont need a pulley tool. all you need is an impact wrench lol. and they are easier to find and use then buying a pulley tool.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My PONY (my mustang im not allowed to drive), is just fine.

My prelude on the other hand...

And everywhere I've checked around here wanted atleast 200 dollars to do the stupid thing.

And when we took off the old pulley-- we couldn't do it with a 1000 ft/lbs impact wrench (and yes, the air compresser was powerful enough to handle it). We had to use semi-truck tools from my boyfriends-dads old trucking company, and a huge extention off of it to get the bolt off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts