Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 SH, I love it, I have been researching my ass off for months trying to learn everything I can about the ATTS, Type S engines, Suspension differences and so on. I have noticed however that information on this is very scattered, sometimes conflicting and sometimes not very specific with technical information.

If anybody knows where I can find ALL information on the SH that would be great. If not it seems that there is so much information out there about the SH that it should get it's own sticky or even forum.

Questions like:

Suspension - what are good specs for an aftermartket upgrade NOT brands, SPECS, I don't want any brand bias, just the numbers, that makes comparisons much easier.

Suspension components: Arms, tie rods, etc...are they different than base model? What is the difference? Why?

How to do a successful build and still keep the ATTS functional?
I mean a real build with some decent money, not just I/H/E

Don't forget to include different applications such as racing, bad ass daily driver, small upgrades.

I have found if you want to spend money a decent build can be done, it looks like this:
Type S engine, tranny swap,
Jackson supercharger - made for the SH, includes a management system that taps into both the ECU and the ATTS (check the downloadable instructions)

http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33374
part number 989-655

Let's not forget to include the basics for noobs/un-educated/too lazy to search:
What is ATTS?

How it works?

The fact the engine and tranny are different

Just trying to all the SH info in one place.

Thank you very much to all who help out

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I have a 1997 SH, I love it, I have been researching my ass off for months trying to learn everything I can about the ATTS, Type S engines, Suspension differences and so on. I have noticed however that information on this is very scattered, sometimes conflicting and sometimes not very specific with technical information.

If anybody knows where I can find ALL information on the SH that would be great. If not it seems that there is so much information out there about the SH that it should get it's own sticky or even forum.

Questions like:

Suspension - what are good specs for an aftermartket upgrade NOT brands, SPECS, I don't want any brand bias, just the numbers, that makes comparisons much easier.

Suspension components: Arms, tie rods, etc...are they different than base model? What is the difference? Why?

How to do a successful build and still keep the ATTS functional?
I mean a real build with some decent money, not just I/H/E

Don't forget to include different applications such as racing, bad ass daily driver, small upgrades.

I have found if you want to spend money a decent build can be done, it looks like this:
Type S engine, tranny swap,
Jackson supercharger - made for the SH, includes a management system that taps into both the ECU and the ATTS (check the downloadable instructions)

http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33374
part number 989-655

Let's not forget to include the basics for noobs/un-educated/too lazy to search:
What is ATTS?

How it works?

The fact the engine and tranny are different

Just trying to all the SH info in one place.

Thank you very much to all who help out
Ok here it goes.

As far as suspension goes, any aftermarket suspension works on the SH. They dont make SH shocks, so your stuck with a base model setup. It has to be base struts and base shocks. Now spring rates etc, it all depends on what the purpose of the car is for.

Theres a thread with spec of each suspension spring rate. Im sure it is linked above.

Yes everything on the front of the SH is different from the BASE. upper control arms, lower control arms, kunckles, tie rods, axles, radius rods, front sway bar. Even radiator is different than the BASE. Has 2 spots at the bottom for coolant hoses.

The tie rods mount differently on the crossmember. They bolt goes up and down which makes it a pain in the ass to get to. On the base the bolts are horizontal which you can get to pretty easy. Tie rods are more beefier on the SH than on the base. The SH was meant for handling which makes the whole suspension/geometry setup beefier than the base.

To do a successful build is going to cost money period. Any build does. You get what you pay for. Really your only option is a JRSC(Greddy turbo kit can work but you might eb cutting it close.) The only bad thing about it is you cant use a standalone(hondata, neptune, crome, ectune, etc) You have to stay OBD2 to keep the ATTS enabled.
You have to tune with a piggy back which kinda limits your range to tune.
The best IMO is the Greddy E Ultimate. If you went with a JRSC i would tune with that. Thats just me. Sh is an auto-x car, so JRSC would work perfect for it.

You can do your full basic bolt ons. The number people say that will most likely make the ATTS start acting up or disable is 250whp. Dont know if thats true or not. It mainly has to do with torque. Tomuch torque will make the ATTS unit act up/ not allowing it to work right. It cant keep up for some reason.

ATTS- Active Torque transfer system

Basically what it does is transfer more torque to the out side wheel which ever way your turning. Forced the outside front wheel to rotate up to 15 percent faster than the inside front wheel. The system could direct up to 80 percent of engine torque to a single wheel. Its purpose was to minimize understeer and thus mimic rear wheel drive cornering characteristics.

EXAMPLE: Say if you making a hard turn to the left. The system transfers more torque to the left side front wheel.

More info, SH came with painted stock lips wereas the base came with black. The doors have courtesy lights at the bottom. Has rear deck with no brake light. Came with a spoiler. Had 5 straight spoke wheels wereas the base has 5 spoke blades.

Engine itself isnt different from the base internally, just the position of the oil filter and the fact that it has a spot for mounting the ATTS unit. The transmission is different because of the ATTS unit also. Has a small shaft that mounts to the tranny and ATTS unit.

MRSP- 26,100

MPG 27/22

Weighs-3024

The base weighed 2954..

Please add if i have left anything out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

I have come across each of those threads during my searches and now that I have them all together I'm going to try and create a SH fact sheet with specs, facts, numbers, applications, different builds (toy, BA daily driver, auto x etc...) I'll even try and include price estimations and links to stores.

Any facts that you have that are not yet in this thread, please feel free and post them, I will create a separate fact sheet and include them on that. Hopefully it gets stickied somewhere or put on the FAQ

Happy Luding!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing....

Any of you that have tackled the SH / ATTS project please post as much information as you have and be specific as possible.

Examples

Suspension:
Goals
Brand
Spring rate
camber kit
Estimated cost
Like / Dislike / Why / Recommendations

Brakes:
Goals
Brand
Type
Estimated cost

Wheels / Tires:
Goals
Brand
Size
Estimated cost

Engine:
Goals
Modification
Part
Why Modification was performed / what did it have to do with the build
WHP
Torque
Dyno graphs
Estimated cost

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
this is a neat thread to toss in more SH info. as an SH owner i'd have to say i'm interested in this thread going further and setting a nice clean cut outline for us kinda limited SH owners.

my main curiosity would be the tuning. piggyback tuning is really what I RAELLY wanna know about. supposedly in one of these threads someone made AEM came out with a standalone that tunes on a lot more points than a piggyback and supports OBDII and ATTS... i gotta research that more...
but what piggyback tuners have you guys used and which is the actual BEST for the SH? in my current mindset i'm going with the Apexi AFC-NEO

·
Registered
7,106 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
need to find out if this quote is true: do you really need the 449cc injectors?

"9lb lb pulley. 440cc injectors. and a good tune should push you to your 240whp mark easily.

running safe will require a Water/meth injection"
- lvlrkmart

·
Registered
881 Posts
On Honda's website.

"
THE PRELUDE TYPE SH WITH ACTIVE TORQUE TRANSFER SYSTEM
Historically, the Prelude has served as a technology demonstrator for promising Honda automotive technologies (many of which, such as double wishbone suspension and 4-wheel steering, have been designed to enhance vehicle handling and stability). The Active Torque Transfer System on the Prelude Type SH is the latest example of this practice.
Much like the fly-by-wire control systems used in modern aircraft, Active Torque Transfer uses a microprocessor to process information from driver inputs (Honda calls this "Feed-Forward Control") as well as vehicle status data from various sensors (Feedback Control). It then uses this information to augment the driver's control of the vehicle, thereby optimizing vehicle control and stability when turning.
With Active Torque Transfer the Prelude Type SH exhibits a significant increase in handling control and steering response and practically no vehicle understeer and oversteer. This is especially noticeable if the driver alters the cornering dynamics of the Prelude Type SH by lifting off the throttle, braking or applying more power while cornering. The Prelude's cornering line will not change in response to lateral acceleration and speed, and its handling response will remain neutral and linear.
The Prelude Type SH Active Torque Transfer System is not like a traction-control system that limits torque to a tire already overworked by the demands of drive traction and lateral acceleration. Active Torque Transfer steers the Prelude Type SH and increases drive torque to the outside wheel in a turn. Normally, a steered-wheel vehicle, such as an automobile, must depend entirely upon the phenomenon of tire slip to generate the lateral acceleration that makes it yaw and turn. By rotating the outside wheel faster than it would normally rotate in a turn, Active Torque Transfer adds an additional steering assist to this yaw moment in much the same way a tracked-vehicle such as a tank or bulldozer turns.
The system consists of the actual drive-torque distribution unit called a Moment Control Unit (MCU), the microprocessor-based Engine Control Module (ECM) and various sensors located throughout the car. The sensors send vehicle attitude information to the ECM, including right- and left-wheel speed data, steering-angle information, gear ratio and engine torque data, yaw (turning) rate and lateral acceleration (G-sensor). The ECM then uses this data to determine how much torque should be applied and how much faster the outside wheel should rotate. It then commands several electrically controlled hydraulic-solenoid valves in the MCU to open and close. The solenoid valves send hydraulic oil to whichever clutch is controlling the outside wheel in a turn (the clutch for the inside wheel is disengaged). When this occurs, drive torque from the inside wheel is transmitted via the differential to the engaged clutch and then to a planetary gear set in the MCU that multiplies its rotational speed.
The additional rotation is then fed back through the differential to the outside wheel. This turns the outside wheel at a faster speed than it would normally turn in a corner, resulting in the creation of a yaw (turning moment). Depending on conditions, the MCU can raise the outside wheel speed by as much as 15% and distribute up to 80% of the drive force to the outer wheel and 20% to the inner wheel.
The MCU also contains a hydraulic pump, oil filter and hydraulic fluid. The system is fail-safe, in that if for some reason it should stop working, the Prelude Type SH will revert back to the handling characteristics of a normal Prelude. The system will also not engage until its hydraulic fluid has reached operating temperature. A warning light on the instrument panel alerts the driver when the system is not operating.
The system is very compact, and fits under the engine, between the differential and the left and right driveshafts, where it adds only around 40 pounds to the vehicle's weight. The only periodic maintenance it needs is replacement of the hydraulic fluid at about the same interval as an automatic transmission's-- around 100,000 miles.
Honda has designed and built both 2WD and 4WD Active Torque Control Systems and is the first company to present it as a completed system for mass production, regardless of drive system. Together, the two systems have generated 99 new patents.
PRELUDE TYPE SH FRONT SUSPENSION
In order to take advantage of the greater steering feel and linearity offered by Active Torque Transfer system, Honda engineers revised the Prelude Type SH's front suspension. In place of the normal single-axis compliance bushings located in the suspension leading link, Honda engineers added a ball-type bushing. This bushing reacts in a more linear fashion to drive-torque input."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
one of the most important questions of all:

How much torque can the Active Torque Transfer System handle until the clutches start slipping?

I mean if I'm auto crossing and I have a Type S, JRSC, greddy emanage ult. how much torque do think i'll be putting down and if i get on it coming around a corner and at what point will the clutches slip?

does anybody have this experience?

I don't want to hear about 250whp with out proof, experience or torque numbers....

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
one of the most important questions of all:

How much torque can the Active Torque Transfer System handle until the clutches start slipping?

I mean if I'm auto crossing and I have a Type S, JRSC, greddy emanage ult. how much torque do think i'll be putting down and if i get on it coming around a corner and at what point will the clutches slip?

does anybody have this experience?

I don't want to hear about 250whp with out proof, experience or torque numbers....
There is none. Its all he say, she say.

You should be the one to test it out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts