Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a '99 Type SH, and I've run into a bit of a problem. My front caster is visibly negative on the passenger side, and the car pulls to the right at pretty much any speed. I plan on pulling the rods in a few days to compare and see if one arm is bent. Now I know how hard the SH radius rod arms are to come by, and that they are the only things that can control caster. My questions are:
1) If I manage to find a passenger rod arm that is the -2.5mm spec length, will my car be able to drive straight? Presuming I get an alignment afterwards
2) If I replace both with same-length arms, will my car drive straight?
3) Is there anybody in the nation selling their SH rod arms?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So I recently bought a '99 Type SH, and I've run into a bit of a problem. My front caster is visibly negative on the passenger side, and the car pulls to the right at pretty much any speed. I plan on pulling the rods in a few days to compare and see if one arm is bent. Now I know how hard the SH radius rod arms are to come by, and that they are the only things that can control caster. My questions are:
1) If I manage to find a passenger rod arm that is the -2.5mm spec length, will my car be able to drive straight? Presuming I get an alignment afterwards
2) If I replace both with same-length arms, will my car drive straight?
3) Is there anybody in the nation selling their SH rod arms?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It could possibly be the bushings for the radius arms if the arms don't appear to be physically bent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mechanic did mention that the rods were moving around quite a bit, so I got some EnergySuspension bushings to replace. The wheel is a good inch closer to the door than it is the front bumper, could a bad bushing throw off the caster this much??

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
Yes, a bad bushing can easily cause the caster to be up to an inch off in either direction.

Check the balljoint for the radius rod as well. SH models have a puck style bushing in the front subframe and a balljoint on the lower control arm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a bad bushing can easily cause the caster to be up to an inch off in either direction.

Check the balljoint for the radius rod as well. SH models have a puck style bushing in the front subframe and a balljoint on the lower control arm.
I will do that, thanks for the advice! I'm currently scrambling to find bolts for the radius rod as they've been discontinued but I will try that as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something else to consider if this doesn't fix all your alignment problems, I had this exact same issue on my 99 SH and the issue was from the frame being bent from a previous owner and i had to get mine stretched on an alignment rack to get everything back straight. Then finally the car drove straight and i stopped chopping up tires prematurely because it could never be properly aligned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something else to consider if this doesn't fix all your alignment problems, I had this exact same issue on my 99 SH and the issue was from the frame being bent from a previous owner and i had to get mine stretched on an alignment rack to get everything back straight. Then finally the car drove straight and i stopped chopping up tires prematurely because it could never be properly aligned.
Yikes...I'm definitely hoping that's not the case. The carfax for my car is clean, but of course that doesn't mean much. How much did you end up paying to straighten up the frame?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts