Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
so now how the hell did he get it to rev so high? or is it some kind of calibration thing?

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its just like putting a gsr into a ex 95 civic. your rpms are a lot higher than what the stock D16 that comes in them so it goes crazy. YOu also have to remember that any tack can be plugged in aslong as it can be plugged in. you just need a tack.(RPM gauge). He has the stock sentra tack to it looks like he is trying to blow the engine lol. If that doesn't explain it let me know....

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
so basically what you are telling me is that 3.5L engine can reach higher revs then the sentra 1.8L engine?

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no.... no.... Infact they have the same 6500rpms redline but the gearing from the two transmissions are different. sentra has a five speed and vq has a six speed. because of the different gearing it appears its reving higher.

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
let put it like this.... if you took out the gauges out of the maxima and put plug in the sentra gauges the same thing will happen. If you've been inside of both cars and look at the dashes, the maxima's rpm gauge is bigger thus takes a little bit longer to get to redline. The smaller cluster gets there quicker because the circumfrence (sp.) is smaller than the bigger on. Thats keeping all things constant like speed, tire size, etc..

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah... you also gotta think about the speed sensors too. 4500rpms in the maxima is different from 4500rpms in the sentra. Perfect example of real life experience is my friend did a gsr swap in his 94 hatch and when he redlines third gear it says he is doing 1150mph. Which is not true even though he has a chipped ecu tuned with uberdata. So yes its calibration thing aswell as a speed sensor thing.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the Sentra's tach is designed for a 4-cylinder signal. VQ has 6 cylinders. That's why a lot of aftermarket tachs have a switch on the back for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. The sentra tach is reading 1.5x faster than the VQ is actually revving.

On a distributored ignition system, the coil fires 2 times per revolution on a 4-cylinder engine, but 3 times on a 6-cylinder car. If the tach is counting sparks, and dividing by 2, it's not gonna match up.
Those cars have distributorless coil pack setups, but the tach still works pretty much the same way. I did that by accident on my old truck... It was a V6 and I left the tach set to 8-cylinder. Confused the hell out of me.

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
so i guess thats why they tell you to get the 5spd gauge cluster when you do the 5spd swap for the prelude.. cuz a friend of mine said i didnt need to get it that the rpm gauge would automaticall read right. even though i told him the guages were totally different. ONE MORE POST!!!!

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
SquishyPanda said:
the Sentra's tach is designed for a 4-cylinder signal. VQ has 6 cylinders. That's why a lot of aftermarket tachs have a switch on the back for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. The sentra tach is reading 1.5x faster than the VQ is actually revving.

On a distributored ignition system, the coil fires 2 times per revolution on a 4-cylinder engine, but 3 times on a 6-cylinder car. If the tach is counting sparks, and dividing by 2, it's not gonna match up.
Those cars have distributorless coil pack setups, but the tach still works pretty much the same way. I did that by accident on my old truck... It was a V6 and I left the tach set to 8-cylinder. Confused the hell out of me.
sorry TEL but this is a much better explination. though with yours i still got it. thanks.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.