Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the yards last Sunday, and walked out with a spare distributor, and 2 more alternators and a potential full size spare, and just yesterday a friend of mine in Washington traded me a set of CIVIC side markers for a set of Prelude reds. I am selling the car to a new family that needs cheap transport for the time being. I will be investing a little more time and money in it and selling it to them. Currently I am still looking for a 5 speed for this, the same type of guage cluster that is for the manual tranny and the typical 5 speed parts.

Question, are the cv axles different between the manual and auto trannies? I mean I know that on the 90's accord there are slight differences, and I know that between the 84-87 civics there are none. I do know that none of this info is relevant to this 79-80 prelude.

·
Registered
276 Posts
bummer, sorry you have to get rid of it

I dont think there is a difference between manual and auto axles of the same year. Easy way to tell is call some parts stores and get part numbers for both axles and compare.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, its going to a decent friend who needs a car. So more than likely I will get it back once things turn around for them. Plus, they have no knowlege of cars. So I am the designated mechanic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
glad to hear it'll be kept alive and running then! :)

viva la 1st gen!

·
Registered
814 Posts
can't trust the part stores for our cv axles, remember, they don't even list the differences between hub sizes, so your best bet is to wait and see, either it's gonna fit and you don't have to worry, or it isn't and your gonna have to go find em, cross that bridge when you come to it

·
Registered
541 Posts
cv axles where a bitch for my second gen....i got ones that where verry similar and seated...and then i was driving down the road and i hear em POP OUT OF THE SEATTTTTTTTTTT AND I PULL OVER AND ALL THE TRANS FLUID IS ON THE GROUND.....needless to say..dont leave it to the parts store..they screw shit up all the time..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Due to the time that I am spending in sourcing parts (namely one person in particular). My friend has moved away from purchasing this beauty. SO, it still is mine. And will remain so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, I would've been around anyways. The more info I can get on this car helps me out. Besides, You never know when you are going to need to sell a drivers side mirror w/o mirror glass in it, as a passenger side complete assembly. I mean, you need people like me that can determine what is what. Ya know?

J<--------------Sadly, will make an attempt, in every topic, to make some reference to an ill-fated purchase, and an uncooperative seller. That reminds me, I gotta get a pic of what I recieved.

BTW: Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
276 Posts
badpenny said:
Nah, I would've been around anyways. The more info I can get on this car helps me out. Besides, You never know when you are going to need to sell a drivers side mirror w/o mirror glass in it, as a passenger side complete assembly. I mean, you need people like me that can determine what is what. Ya know?

J<--------------Sadly, will make an attempt, in every topic, to make some reference to an ill-fated purchase, and an uncooperative seller. That reminds me, I gotta get a pic of what I recieved.

BTW: Thanks for the kind words.

glad you'll still have the car!
wow - wrong side mirror and no glass? That's terrible. You'd really have to try to screw up that bad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm, in this thread? Or a new one?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think my PM history would hold a more "specific" log of the events as they took place.

Ok then, here it goes. It all starts at this link---> http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235411
More specifically, post #6 which asks, if the person has a passenger mirror. I was so excited.:turn:
Then our messages started. Here they are, in order.
with hopefully the time stamps.

03-30-2006 12:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM86lude
i take paypal and money order i have it off for u
35 bucks [email protected]

Is it the OEM one or an aftermarket? Is that price shipped? If not I can't use it. $35 is a fair price to me shipped.
03-30-2006 1:39pm
Quote:
yea its origal never been replaced and that is shipped everything let me know or if u know how to use paypal and ill send the cash out i aslo got that combo switchif ur intrested in that

For the steering column? or the mirror? ANd would you happen to have the EDM blinkers for the front bumper?

03-30-2006 8:19pm
Quote:
yea i got the miror u never said anyting about the steering column so yea if u want thAT TO i can get that [email protected] paypal me the cash or send money order and ill send out right away thnx

You said combo switch, I was making sure of what you were talking about. NO, I do not need anything other than the mirror and the remote item.

So I will take the mirror and the combo switch that you were talking about.

03-31-2006 12:21pm
I emailed you pics of what I was talking about. I am not fully sure what you mean by combo switch.

03-31-2006 12:31pm
Quote:
yes that whatim talking about go ahead and send the money and it wil be out asap thnx

paypalled
:cool:

03-31-2006 11:13pm
Quote:
yes that whatim talking about go ahead and send the money and it wil be out asap thnx

I also might as well ask if you have:
the clutch cable
3 pedal assembly
clutch (if its good)
shift knob/linkage

If it is over 35 total for these pieces I will have to wait till May.

I would ask for the 5 speed but shipping would kill me. Besides all i need to know about the tranny is where the code plate is found so I know what I am looking at.

4-10-2006 3:00pm
Quote:
HEY HAVE U GOT UR MIRROR YET

You just sent it off, what was that? Thursday, I will be lucky to get it by Wed. I will definatley leave you a feedback and let you know as soon as it does.

Thanks.
J

04-18-2006 8:43pm
Hmmm, where to start? I got it yesterday, 10 days is understandable, because of the holiday. Although, for the money I spent, I expected to get what I requested. I am wondering what went wrong with the phrase "passenger Mirror"

4-20-2006 3:41pm
Quote:
uh man im sorry for the inconvence but i have 2 1st gens and one is silver and one is red and they both did not ever come with a mirror so i got confused and was liek he must mean driver there are no holes and no brackets on it so im very extremly sorry i weas out of town and just got back last week so i know way to get ur stuff to u im sorry but ill take pix to prove to u that there were never mirrors on my 2 1st gens

I understand. Thats why I asked in the first place.

As of today(May 10th 2006) I have, as of yet, recieved any reparations for the snaffoo.(to put it lightly.) This guy "assured me" that I was to recieve a passengers side mirror. Not knowing where else to get one, I settled with him for $50 to recieve a drivers mirror, without any glass (HMM, MAYBE, I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC). This guy is quite the artiste. He has yet to respond to any of my requests to rectify this situation. And frankly, I am having a hard time justifying spending what I spent now. I mean, heck, he could have been a good guy and at least offered something for the mixup. I will even send him this part back to him, I just want some viable product for the monies that I have spent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Regarding Auto/manual swap. If you still intend to do one. I'm presently doing this on my car...
Driveshafts are shared between auto & manual cars. BUT the '79-80 were different outer spline pattern from '81- '82 (mine was registered Dec '80 with the later style). Honda also changed the Gearbox ratios, Gearshift linkage, ctr tunnel, ctr console, cluster, & flywheel bolt sizes into crankshaft while they were at it (then changed the engine & ditched the hydraulic clutch for '82). Later g/box interchangeable though, but not linkage. Earlier box & linkage was shared with '79-'80 Accord if that helps.
The Autos/manuals also seem to have had different distributors & carburettor vacuum line arrangements. & don't forget the 'bypass' loop connector in the wiring junction box of manual cars -to allow the engine to be started without the car in "park".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where do I find the build date?

·
Registered
814 Posts
door panel on a metal tab... i think it's metal... if not beak down your vin

google the honda vin breakdown, or search on pp

as for ditching hydraulic clutches.... my 82's got a hydraulic clutch...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found it, metal tag with a large blue area, and up in the top right it says 10/79 Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
my82lude said:
door panel on a metal tab... i think it's metal... if not beak down your vin

google the honda vin breakdown, or search on pp

as for ditching hydraulic clutches.... my 82's got a hydraulic clutch...
yup, my 82 has hydraulic clutch slave cylinder too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts