Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking.. what if I were to take an old pager and modify it so that it makes a relay go off when the phone number is dialed. In other words you could call the number and have it shut the car off and calling it again would have it turn the car on. Would this be a dumb idea? It could be used as a remote starter from pretty much anywhere... as long as other people don't find out the number.
And if it ever got stolen and you found out soon after it was just taken.. you could shut the car off.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
It's interesting. The main problems i see with it are:

1. You would need to keep it activiated, so you'd be paying a monthly fee.

2. You better make sure NO ONE knows that number or they could really mess with you...quite the hazzard. Try explaining that to an insurance company...

·
Registered
40 Posts
well the other problem being that a pager would not have a direct output the only thing that i see you could use as a switch would be to try to use the lcd inputs or the trigger of the vibrater, but here is the thing both of those are more then likely pulsed which would keep triggering your relay. so you would either need to find a single pulsed output off the pager or set up a series of relays to combat the pulsed out put

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Use a switched diode or something like that. It could be done, and would be pretty neat. Talk about remote start. Wow.

·
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJ_Mittens said:
Use a switched diode or something like that. It could be done, and would be pretty neat. Talk about remote start. Wow.
haha seriously.. let's say your in florida on vacation n someone needs to use you're car.. just phone it in :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
a switching diode?? you mean a diode isolated relay..still it would get and allow pullsed output. i mean i guess its possible but a lot of concern with it i mean the obvious is that if it is acidentally called and

·
Donates his big Member
1991 BA4 2.0i-16 4WS B20a7
2,238 Posts
No No No!!!!!!!!

I thought about tis before, just get an old car phone kit wire the radio mute upto a relay that way when you ring it, it will shut the car off!

Oh yeah and it will also stay forever charged!

(C) 2006 GA Ideas!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
audiovox has a kit like that I think, my friend at best buy was talkin about it. I like the home-made version better though. Fuckin cool.

·
Registered
943 Posts
you can use the vibe motor output to trigger a remote turn on generator to pulse a latching relay. I've done it. you still need a key and a way to do door locks. Not too practical. a good anti-jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.