Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i'm here to ask you if you can help me. I' ve read a lot of posts but I'm still confused about what can replace the stock suspensions of my prelude.

I've found these:

http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/manufacturer-selection/honda/prelude/prelude-ba-86-92/coilovers/yellow-speed-racing-dynamic-pro-sport-coilovers-honda-prelude-ba.html

but it would be nice to have the chance to save some money. Is the 3rd gen compatible with some other coilovers' models for civic , delsol or others?

Best regards

Leo

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Leo, are you in the UK?
I ask as those suspenders are from a UK company.

Either way you need to do a search on here as this exact question has been asked every week for the last 10 years.

The answers are all out there and remain the same.
Sean will come along and tell you to buy some K-Sports. There are many other options as well.

repeat to fade...............................

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi guys,

i'm here to ask you if you can help me. I' ve read a lot of posts but I'm still confused about what can replace the stock suspensions of my prelude.

I've found these:

http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/ma...mic-pro-sport-coilovers-honda-prelude-ba.html

but it would be nice to have the chance to save some money. Is the 3rd gen compatible with some other coilovers' models for civic , delsol or others?

Best regards

Leo
I've read some good reports about Tokiko shocks; I have a vague recollection of 88SE Lude posting up some shock dyno results from a set of Tokiko shocks he'd had on his car for a few years and the results were still good. Not sure if Tokiko are still manufacturing for our car though, but a good value option if you can find some.

There's quite a lot of information in this thread; HotBits aren't listed in the thread, but they also make suspension for the 3G.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338438&highlight=form+function

Does anyone know anything about Yellow Speed Racing? It's not a company I've come across before.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Whereas I just show them the correct direction and give 'em a nudge :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ofr the replies.

88Se lude i'm from italy. I got this lude and from february to september of this year i brought her back to life. It's a 87 3rd gen lude ^^

I 'm searching something which is not soft, i recently sold my main car which was -12cm lowered, so I'm looking a solution to lower the lude at least -10cm. Yes i like low cars, and i think that the lude will result in a good look (also the standard height is nice)

I would buy the uk coilover set but if i can spare some money using civic, integra or delsol coilover, why not?

All the project involves also replacing the standard rims with at least an 8J if the 195/60/14 will handle it.

Unfortunately here in ita they not allow us to simply update our cars' doc with bigger rims so I will have to stretch on 14''. Although it's a pity that 2.2L can fit 17'' and 2.0L cannot.

best regards

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
Just get some ground control sleeves like this:

You can order them with custom spring rates and you should probably get higher than standard rates since you want to go so low.

Just use them with the stock dampers/shocks. You are going so low that the car isn't going to ride or handle good anyways so I don't see any point in going with a fancier setup.

·
Registered
954 Posts
...i'm from italy...
Where in Italy? I had a holiday there last month, 1 week in Venezia and 1 week in Malcesine (Lago di Garda). Beautiful places, beautiful weather, charming people.

MustardCat said:
Just get some ground control sleeves... You are going so low that the car isn't going to ride or handle good anyways so I don't see any point in going with a fancier setup.
I think MustardCat makes a good point; going really low might negate the benefit of expensive suspension. Unless you’re going to just chop a lump off your springs, the sleeves MustardCat suggests are probably the cheapest option; but I have no idea how low the sleeves will allow you to go.

I 'm searching something which is not soft, i recently sold my main car which was -12cm lowered, so I'm looking a solution to lower the lude at least -10cm. Yes i like low cars, and i think that the lude will result in a good look (also the standard height is nice)

I would buy the uk coilover set but if i can spare some money using civic, integra or delsol coilover, why not?
Some more information that might help you in your quest:

This thread talks about lowering
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334462&highlight=lowest+suspension

From what I can gather, Yellow Speed Racing is based in Taiwan, the same as K-Sport.
The K-Sport (model K-HN-44) is a little cheaper than Yellow Speed Racing; different K-Sport versions are priced here as:
US$ 890 Street
US$ 1,136 Circuit
US$ 1,136 Rally Asphalt
http://www.k-sportracing.com/type-shock-list.html#HONDA

I’m guessing there must be a K-Sport distributor in Italy. But if not, and if you’re interested in K-Sport, it might be worth talking to Sean (1FunRyd) and asking what price he would want to get a set to Italy.
http://www.1funryd.com/projects.html

I’m not sure K-Sport will get as low as you want though; maximum drop appears to be around 75mm.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430873&highlight=k+sport

To go lower you could always fit air suspension:
K-Sport do make kits specifically for the 3G Prelude:
US$ 2,900 Basic kit
US$ 3,500 Deluxe kit
US$ 4,300 Pro kit
US$ 4,600 Pro+ kit
http://ksportusa.com/products/air-suspension/

Universal fit air suspension. These are sleeves that fit over your original shock absorbers (US$1,650 or Euro 1,507)
http://www.partstrain.com/store/index.php?VN=4294967147+4294962818+4294962740+4294962737+4294967066&Ntt=Honda%20Prelude%20Suspension%20Kit&Nr=AND(universal:0)&N=0

Air bag thread
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190435&highlight=air+bags

All the project involves also replacing the standard rims with at least an 8J if the 195/60/14 will handle it.
195 tyre on 8” rim.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371641&highlight=stretch

Unfortunately here in italy they not allow us to simply update our cars' doc with bigger rims...
Sounds a bit of an extreme law.

EDIT:
Hot Bits have a distributor in Modena; might be worth talking to them.
Prices on the Hot bits website are in Malaysian Ringgit. From what I can figure out, for the 3G Prelude:
Euro 145 = Sport spring kit
Euro 630 = Coilover (adjustable height only)
Euro 970 = DT1 (adjustable height & damping)
Euro 1,150 = DT2 (adjustable height & damping)
http://hotbits.com.my/distributors.aspx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where in Italy? I had a holiday there last month, 1 week in Venezia and 1 week in Malcesine (Lago di Garda). Beautiful places, beautiful weather, charming people.
I live in Rezzato near the west coast of Garda Lake ^^ not so far from Malcesine ^^

At today , after reading the thread you suggested about rims, I decided to go for a 4 BBS replica 14x7J ET 15 which would let the tyre work without any problem and give a nice, but not extreme look, to the lude.

I m actually dealing with the italian reseller of hot bits to see if we can get a coilover kit for the lude.

News soon

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and for helping me to understand i was taking the wrong direction in replacing rims and suspensions ^^

Best regards

Leo

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I m actually dealing with the italian reseller of hot bits to see if we can get a coilover kit for the lude.
As a previous UK dealer for HotBits I can assure you that there are quite a few options available from HotBits for the 3G Lude.
From a simple spring/damper to fully adjustable remote reservoir coilovers.

But as Mustard said, if all you're interested in is getting it as low as possible then you're just wasting your money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately the italian seller of hot bits does not provide any coilover for Prelude :(

In terms of height i think , after your suggestion, that a -6/-8 could be the best solution avoiding any problem that going too much low could have brought :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok got a lot of problems with the Yellow Sport brand, so now going for:

D2-H121-1-RS

from

Official Suspension Thread

Can you please confirm I can use them also on my Prelude BA4 4WS? I would love to avoid any other problem like the one occured with Yellow sport who sent me a not compatible coilover kit :eek:mg:

Best regards

Leo

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Ok got a lot of problems with the Yellow Sport brand, so now going for:

D2-H121-1-RS

from

Official Suspension Thread

Can you please confirm I can use them also on my Prelude BA4 4WS? I would love to avoid any other problem like the one occured with Yellow sport who sent me a not compatible coilover kit :eek:mg:

Best regards

Leo
Just order the Kontrol Pros from me, and be done with it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just get some ground control sleeves like this:

You can order them with custom spring rates and you should probably get higher than standard rates since you want to go so low.

Just use them with the stock dampers/shocks. You are going so low that the car isn't going to ride or handle good anyways so I don't see any point in going with a fancier setup.
had em on mine, and loved em! even on stock struts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

after solving a few problems, here I am to share with you the result of the works I did on my lude.

At the end I replaced the original suspension system with a D2 solution, the original rim were replace with 2 Dezent 7.5 et 15 on the front and 2 dezent 8.25 et 21 on the rear.

No camber adjustment were needed because the new height made the suspension change his angle and now rims fits rather perfectly.

The ride confort and performaces were checked on Modena Circuit and I can say that they are really good.

Thanks to all for all the advices.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Good looking car. :emthup:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Dezent 7.5 et 15 on the front and 2 dezent 8.25 et 21 on the rear.

That turned out better than I imagined; when you said how much you wanted to lower the car I was expecting some belly scraping sillyness. But, that looks good.

Can you give more details of the wheels and tyres please? I had a quick search for pictures of Dezent wheels but couldn't find that design.

I like the ratio of wheel to tyre that you have, are the wheels 16 inch?
What size are the front tyres?
What size are the rear tyres?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
when you said how much you wanted to lower the car I was expecting some belly scraping sillyness. But, that looks good.
Yes, but consider that from the original height, now the car is 8.5 cm lower, so it's still a lot, but it's the minimun that can allow entering a circuit without breaking anything and avoiding rolling the fender on a 1988 paint ^^

Can you give more details of the wheels and tyres please? I had a quick search for pictures of Dezent wheels but couldn't find that design.
You can check for Dezent Z1, but they are discontinued. They do not produce them from long ago.

I like the ratio of wheel to tyre that you have, are the wheels 16 inch?
No, wheels are 14'', that matches the only size available

What size are the front tyres?
What size are the rear tyres?
All the four tyres, are the orginal size, 195/60 R14 which are obviously stretched on the rims.

Best regards

·
Registered
954 Posts
You can check for Dezent Z1, but they are discontinued. They do not produce them from long ago.
I'll have a look around, quite like that style.

No, wheels are 14'', that matches the only size available
All the four tyres, are the orginal size, 195/60 R14 which are obviously stretched on the rims.
I just re-read your whole thread and remember that in post #7 you mentioned that Italian law won't allow you to change your wheel diameter.
Maybe it's the camera angle or the wheel style, but to me they look bigger than 14 inch; good choice.

I have read some very mixed reviews on the Champiro GTX60 tyres, mainly saying good grip in the dry, not so good grip in the wet and a bit noisy. How are you finding them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts