Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an Ad from a dealer selling a prelude. Ad stated that car was in excellent condition and was ALL STOCK. So I bought the vehicle at the KBB price. now a month later I found out that the car had the check engine light, atts light, and abs light removed. Both the check engine and atts were throwing codes. Took it to my buddy at honda. The car is NOT stock... The muffler was replaced by a resonator, the distributer is aftermarket (has internal coils or somthing) the ATTS unit is non exsistant (showed me where is was supposed to be bolted under the tranny), and the Transmission is from an h23 or somthing (not a fifth gen tranny). Not to mention I had to replace the front brakes, control arms, and tires...The thermostat... and it needs new front Struts and springs, all belts, and timing belt plus has oil leaks. I was basicly lied to straight up and I have the paper work to prove it.
does anyone know what my rights are in this situation?!?! I called the dealer and they won't take the car back... What should I do??

·
Test PipE MasTeR
1,488 Posts
sue the mofo's for false advertisement or sum shyt like thatbut i no u can sue for this!

·
Registered
793 Posts
it was probally sold "as is" so really there isnt to much they can do. it could been a trade in that passed the visual inspection and they could have never known about it

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Seriously, have solid proof in hand of the aftermarket modifications. Have the serial number for the transmission that SHOULD be on the car, and the number of the tranny that IS on the car.

Also, show that there is no ATTS unit. Worse case scenario you should be able to get the kbb difference in value between the base and sh model.

But yea...get a lawyer.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
115 Posts
I see a win win situation...if you get a lawyer involve fuck get'n the different in value...i would sue their pants off...for screwing people over...they're the dealer and they're a certified dealer for a reason.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i would talk to lawyer but chances are that in signing the paperwork you bought the car "as is" which means any problems with it are covered by the "pre-existing conditions" clause. I've dealt with that before its a horrible catch-all clause because what is a used car really other than one giant "pre-existing condition"?

·
Registered
351 Posts
First of all man, we need more details, did you buy it 'as is'? 2nd, make sure you save all receipts for all expenses you incur fixing the car! I'm assuming you bought it at a Honda dealer?

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
This is why Car Fax is around. Yeah, sometime nothing comes up, but it's at least good to see what your car has possibly been through. Damn, seriously sounds like you got screwed. I hope you didn't pay too much for this car

·
Registered
457 Posts
National Lemon Law man. DEFINATELY get a lawyer, you can own that bastards car lot when you are done. Dont quote me on this. But i believe that he will lose his used dealer license, tax Id and all of that when you win. They are supposed to run a carfax, wether they provide it to you or not, they should have ran all diagnostics and definately at least hooked up a scanner to see what, if any, codes it is throwing. When i went to buy my car, i had bought an OBD2 reader from walmart and did it right in front of him and made him fix the code it did throw.

Keep us updated man
Best of luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did sign an as is paper, but that only applies to repairs on the car, not what was advertised to have come with it. All as-is means is that I have no warranty. I have the AD in my hand that states "car in excellent condition, Car is STOCK". and yes, I am positive the car is type SH per the vin number. I've been calling around too lawyers, but i'm not really sure what kind of lawyer to get. any clues??

also, they took the bulbs out of the cluster... that's just pathetic.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
I'm not sure what type of lawyer you'll need, but I think you only have a certain amount of time to be able to file this claim. Don't hold me to it, but that's what I've heard, but every state is different.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prelude1897 said:
I'm not sure what type of lawyer you'll need, but I think you only have a certain amount of time to be able to file this claim. Don't hold me to it, but that's what I've heard, but every state is different.
Barely had it over a month

·
Registered
472 Posts
Different states vary & mileage plays a factor as well as age of car. I think if the car has over 100k you are limited on coverage; I saw it on the people's court. The warning bulb pulling is horseshit though; what a bunch of rotten douche bags.

Go see Judge Millian.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
carfax won't tell you shit unless the cops were called during an accident.

i don't think anyone called the cops when the transmission fucked up.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
^just because the cops were called doesn't mean shit that it'll show up on carfax.

basically, you should've looked over the car better before buying it. chances are that the ppl that traded the car in took the check engine/etc lights out. big deal if you don't have atts, it's heavier than a base and loses its abilities after major modifications anyways. did you run the codes and see what they came back as? the ecu might just need cleared. check the codes, clear the codes, and see if they come back again. it might just be something small like an o2 sensor. if the atts unit isn't on there, that's why the atts light is on, so go after the check engine light.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
KenzoLude said:
i would talk to lawyer but chances are that in signing the paperwork you bought the car "as is" which means any problems with it are covered by the "pre-existing conditions" clause. I've dealt with that before its a horrible catch-all clause because what is a used car really other than one giant "pre-existing condition"?
Call me crazy, but I don't consider a missing transmission component can be thrown in the 'as is' crap.

There was loads of deception used to get him to sign the damn paper.

And how can anyone know if someone has removed the atts unit anyways other than breaking open the tranny?

2qu1k4u said:
^just because the cops were called doesn't mean shit that it'll show up on carfax.

basically, you should've looked over the car better before buying it. chances are that the ppl that traded the car in took the check engine/etc lights out. big deal if you don't have atts, it's heavier than a base and loses its abilities after major modifications anyways. did you run the codes and see what they came back as? the ecu might just need cleared. check the codes, clear the codes, and see if they come back again. it might just be something small like an o2 sensor. if the atts unit isn't on there, that's why the atts light is on, so go after the check engine light.
All that's true, but he shouldn't have had to pay the extra $$ for the SH model if he didn't get one. :)

I still say try to get the kbb difference in value between SH and base models if nothing else.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yeah, that sucks dude.

This is why I am never, ever, under any circumstance buying a used car from a dealership. They lie for a living...

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
HondaPowa said:
Different states vary & mileage plays a factor as well as age of car. I think if the car has over 100k you are limited on coverage; I saw it on the people's court. The warning bulb pulling is horseshit though; what a bunch of rotten douche bags.

Go see Judge Millian.
Lol, that's exactly where I heard about it now that you mentioned it:tongue:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts