Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i cant decide which one to buy, i guess it's b/c i dont really know enough about tuning my car and i plan to have a professional to do it anyways after the turbo gets put in. can anyone help me out on this problem? i need to figure it out so i can order before the weekend comes.

also, do i really need a wideband o2 if im getting a hondata s200w/boost or a s300? could i still have it tuned really well and made reliable without the wideband? cuz i know neither of these two systems come with one, and i've never seen anyone mention having a wideband with their hondata system.

thanx

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i'd get a wideband setup no matter what is used to tune the car. if its turbo, my one requirement is to have a wideband for datalogging, monitoring, tuning, everything.
to me its a necessity, not just something to look at

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, alright, well could i still get all this tuning done right with one of the hondata systems without the wideband? is the wideband a necessity? cuz you'd think it'd come with the hondata system if it was.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yes, wideband is necessary when tuning with hondata. you dont have to provide it yourself, cuz the dyno/tuning shop has them. if you have a bung in your exhaust for the sensor, they just screw it in and thats that. if you dont have a bung, they have a special bracket that holds the sensor in the tailpipe. which works, but isnt 100% accurate.

i say that they are necessary to have because you will want one even after the car is tuned for true a/f ratio metering while driving. if you dont have one, if something goes wrong, you wont know to shut the car off immediately, and say goodbye to the motor.

IMO anytime a major mod is done (anything that significantly increases power, ie: turbo) a wideband is necessary for monitoring true a/f ratios, not just a typical a/f guage. they dont tell you crap for accuracy.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
there ya go, those are the exact ones i was going to recommend. i prefer the innovate one, even though its the more pricey one lol. just personal preference, but any of the other actual widebands will work fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
hey thats well worth the power and reliability you'll get. I've seen gains of up to 20 whp from tuning the a/f mixture. just get it. It'll make you smile.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i just bought a package deal off of ebay, saved myself $100. Got the Hondata s300 system new with an lc-1 wideband o2 new also. cost me $697 after shipping. im happy haha.

now i just need to get a PR4 ecu and get it chipped yes sir

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
You need the LC-1 CONTROLLER as well.. not just the sensor.

plxdevices.com - i like PLX.

·
Registered
317 Posts
do you still need it if the ecu reads wide bands? I thought the megasquirt read widebands. Maybe its just that the package deal included the controller cuz the instructions didn't say anything about a controller. I guess it could also just be assumed that you know to get it when it says to get a wide band.

·
Registered
317 Posts
but then you have to chip them and buy the software to run them and you still have to get a wide band to tune the a/f mixture really accurate. the mega squirt is 140 and it comes with software. So its pretty cheap and it can run everything you'll ever need it to run pretty much. I'd take that over a chiped ecu anyday. Plus since you build it you can diagnose any problems and fix them.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
All widebands need both sensor and controller, no ECU exists that i know of that can read the sensor directly. Not including the cars that have them from the factory, those ecu's obviously can.

Megasquirt is awesome, but substantially more complicated to get going then most forms of standalone, mainly because you have to build and wire it yourself, then learn a good amount of EFI theory to tune it well.

Very interesting stuff to me, so i love it.

EDIT:
Not that i have it installed right now though, it's waiting to go into the tr7, as saab/bosch mechanical injection and i don't like eachother, and it doesn't like blowers :p

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rudeludenotmeanthough said:
You need the LC-1 CONTROLLER as well.. not just the sensor.

plxdevices.com - i like PLX.
are you sure i need a controller? when i was reading the info on the website about the lc-1 wideband, it said it was a controller with a sensor built in i thought. plus i dont see anything that says "lc-1 wideband controller"...wouldnt the s300 system be able to work as a controller or something for the wideband. cuz it said it has lambda tracing or something for widebands...i dunno. haha. i dont know enough about it. but all the controllers i see on that plxdevices website haave wideband sensors built onto them. so yea, can anyone help me out on this?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The LC-1 is a full system, controller AND sensor.

Read my post above yours about ecu's and their lack of controller.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You will like the s300 now that hondata has all the little bugs worked out of it..its a real nice system i like mine alot... IM using the PLX m-250 with guage, great wide band works solid...Do u plan on tuning this yourself?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts