Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm super new I just picked up a super clean 3rd gen a few weeks ago. Currently working on doing a full tune up on it. I noticed about a week ago the car started to smell pretty bad so I assumed I had an exhaust leak. At this point I had already done an oil change and swapped out the spark plugs. I took it to a muffler shop and had them check for a leak but they found nothing and told me my car was running rich. I just recently bought everything I need to help it run better including a new idle air control valve. After work today my buddies and I were at our cars saying our goodbyes when I noticed my car was blowing white smoke. It had started doing that pretty recently so I just assumed it was running rich. Now I'm worried I might have a blown head gasket. The car runs perfectly fine and it's nowhere close to overheating. Only time will tell however I just need to install and fix everything that needs to be fixed. Does this sound like I'm running rich or I am I leaking coolant into my exhaust system some how. Any input is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Look for the exhaust spitting out coolant on a cold start. Monitor your coolant levels. I have a blown head gasket and my overflow bottle almost runs dry after 600-800 kilometers. Good news is I have been driving with a blown head gasket for 5 years. Bad news is the monthly top up routine is a pain and you need to keep a bottle of emergency coolant in your boot and a spanner for bleeding in case you run out unexpectedly, but this has never happened to me. I guess 600-800 K's is for my blown head gasket though and expect it would be different for different severities. If its the head gasket, replace it or always make sure you top up just before the overflow bottle runs dry, that way you don't have to bleed. A blown head gasket is not the end of the world, but expect 25% engine power performance loss.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Also, if the smoke drifts then its either oil or coolant burning. If it doesn't drift then thats just condensation.

So its either bad piston rings, a blown head gasket or condensation.

You are playing 1st 12 on roulette right now. I really hope its just condensation.

What's the climate like where you are atm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, if the smoke drifts then its either oil or coolant burning. If it doesn't drift then thats just condensation.

So its either bad piston rings, a blown head gasket or condensation.

You are playing 1st 12 on roulette right now. I really hope its just condensation.

What's the climate like where you are atm?
right now it's freaking hot. like 90+ F°. when I started up my car today after work it was blowing white smoke but you could barely see it. once I backed out there was a ton. I don't think there's any when I drive, only idle and when in reverse. I'm not worried about the issue I just want to figure out if it's coolant or if it's oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts