Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor got pulled today and i started tearing it apart. I ended up rounding a bold that is under the cam shaft when i was trying to take off the head (i don't know how else to explain it). I don't have much experience at this, what should my next step be? any thoughts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
you can use a tool called a nut remover to get it out ... but if your in a tight spot you can always drill the head of the bolt untill it breaks away from the rest of the bolt and after removal of the head just turn the bolt out with a vice grip

just make sure you start drilling the center of the bolt with a 1/8 and keep steeping up untill it come off

good luck

P.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
to the OP:
your only real chance is an ez-out designed for the bigger bolts. it's going to suck, and there is a fair to middle chance it won't work, but really you have few other options.

if you have the room and a welder, you could weld a nut to the top of the bolt head. weld it from the inside (the threads of the nut) and really burn the fuck out of it. once it cools, the bolt will probably be more likely to let go of the block, and the new nut edges give a wrench something to bite.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you have the room and a welder, you could weld a nut to the top of the bolt head. weld it from the inside (the threads of the nut) and really burn the fuck out of it. once it cools, the bolt will probably be more likely to let go of the block, and the new nut edges give a wrench something to bite.

welding a nut to the head should be your last restort as it will harden the head of the bolt and you cant drill it

but hey whay do i know i just do this stuff for a living :huh2:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
welding a nut to the head should be your last restort as it will harden the head of the bolt and you cant drill it

but hey whay do i know i just do this stuff for a living :huh2:
bully for you!

i apologize for being unable to ascertain your obvious superiority over all others on this site in your previous seven posts.

i'll refrain from posting, so that all may gaze upon the wonderfulness that your experience will grace us with.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
To take some tension off it you could try torquing all the other head bolts to 55ft lbs following the factory tightening pattern but skipping that bolt. The head gasket has a little give and you may be able to crush it more that way.

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
i have a set of sockets... maybe you guys are talking about the same type of thing... but anyway i have some sockets i got from craftsman that have teeth inside and they are reverse threaded so you tighten it on by loosening against the bolt. they bite into the bolt head/nut really deep and have literally never failed me before. i honestly think they would even work on a perfectly round bolt head.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i have a set of sockets... maybe you guys are talking about the same type of thing... but anyway i have some sockets i got from craftsman that have teeth inside and they are reverse threaded so you tighten it on by loosening against the bolt. they bite into the bolt head/nut really deep and have literally never failed me before. i honestly think they would even work on a perfectly round bolt head.
are these what ur talking about hondamonster? if not im sure that these would do the job.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952062000P?vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&sName=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Dude sometimes bolt out kits dont even work.

I tried using one of chris's bolt out sockets on the downpipe bolt and I nearly stripped the Bolt out socket!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Could just grind the head of the bolt off so that the head can be removed. That will leave some bolt sticking out of the block so a good set of vice grips can grap it and remove it.

·
Boxxy Is Back
1,452 Posts
yah, love these things. i have a set and they havent failed me yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts