Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a gen 4 si and the auto trans is slow + clunky to change gears, and gets worse as it warms up. There is what looks to be a exhaust light on all the time and a check engine light that only comes on when warm (related or no?). Also the screen with the temp and fuel gauge is very dim (I am thinking a backlight? If so is it replaceable or do I have to put a whole new screen in?) Thanks.
Automotive parking light Sky Tire Wheel Cloud

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
190 Posts
Hi.

Swap the transmission oil as that's probably the issue, the lude uses Hondas own blend of ATF, so make sure to stick with that.

The exhaust light is probably the CAT warning light, either the cats been removed or the sensor is bust, not a problem really and can be turned off by grounding the sensor cable under the car. It's an isolated system so the rest of the cars functions won't be affected.

Read the codes for the engine light by shorting the service connector and counting the flashes.

The dim display might be the physical dimmer switch is just set on low, worth looking round the cabin for the switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

Swap the transmission oil as that's probably the issue, the lude uses Hondas own blend of ATF, so make sure to stick with that.

The exhaust light is probably the CAT warning light, either the cats been removed or the sensor is bust, not a problem really and can be turned off by grounding the sensor cable under the car. It's an isolated system so the rest of the cars functions won't be affected.

Read the codes for the engine light by shorting the service connector and counting the flashes.

The dim display might be the physical dimmer switch is just set on low, worth looking round the cabin for the switch.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a good look around and can’t find a dimmer switch. Also all fuses seem intact. Any ideas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The fuel and temp gauges are not like any typical gauge on other cars.

They are a VFD (I think?) display which will need an electronics wizard to diagnose if if you've ruled out anything feeding into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuel and temp gauges are not like any typical gauge on other cars.

They are a VFD (I think?) display which will need an electronics wizard to diagnose if if you've ruled out anything feeding into it.

Oh well looks like I might have to pull the dash to bits haha.
I decided to read the obd1 code that was popping up when warm and it was the exhaust gas recirculation valve? Is this a known issue? Is it a fixable thing or replacement job?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The EGR is probably an easy fix. Check the wiring and vacuum hoses as a first step, if they are ok, remove it, give it a thorough clean with carb cleaner and make sure it moves freely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts