Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my rear rotor literally snapped on me last night as i pulled away from my driveway... like the whole disk part looks grinded down to sheet metal and has snapped from the inner part with the lug holes. That ring part is stuck to the pads/caliber and doesn't move... cars still drivable but prob shouldn't be. its been grinding awhile and never thought it actually be doing that to the rotor... and now i feel stupid for not checking it... lesson learned... I'll get you guys some pics when i get off work tomorrow and pull the wheel off. but...

I have a 93 vtec in the garage that i'm working on and was wondering whats the whole difference i keep seeing for brakes and vtec. does it go with the difference from H22 and H23... cause for this car id rather try those rotors but if gotta buy i will... but now i'm thinking of just getting some from autozone and waiting on brembo($54 importrp.com) for other car. Now can I take those rotors from the other car, which has been sitting for 3 years now, 2 and half being outside, if they are in good enough condition? and if can't take rotors what all do i have to take to use? Im also kinda scared my caliber may be messed up and have to replace to... Im really hoping not but if so... if someone could actually do or point me to someone to hook me up with a caliber thatd be great.

Thanks for any help guys

oh and also... it may be just the site after looking at the "list price" they put up... but why would the rears be $54 and fronts be $36??

·
Registered
258 Posts
The vtec brakes are a little bigger, so i dont think it would work. Your best bet is to get some new pads and rotors and be done with it, I have never had a rotor break, i've grounded down to the fins, but never broke.

·
Registered
786 Posts
the rear rotors b/w the VTEC and SI are the same. the fronts are where the difference is. the VTEC has bigger front rotors and front calipers.

·
Registered
786 Posts
oh, yea. inspect that caliper real good. the rear calipers are well known for locking up. ive had 3 preludes, 2 of them ive replaced rear calipers.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Ok even if the rear caliper still works but has some grinding marks in it, replace the thing. It will give you nothing but issues in the long run. Now as for the rear breaks on the VTEC prelude, as people have said before me the rear ones are the same size as the Si model prelude and should be fine (as long as they are in working order).

I agree the price being higher on the rear rotors kinda doesnt make sence but they are made stronger because of the use of the parking brake. So I guess thats why but like I said its a guess. Oh and before I forget, have the rotors turned(if they can) at a local auto parts store or just buy a new set of rotors.

Oh and one more thing, if you havent replace rear pads on your prelude before you need a tool to turn the piston on the caliper in. The auto parts store will have a genric one for under 15 bucks. Hope that helps man.

·
Registered
763 Posts
rear brakes are identical. the price difference is probably is scam, just cause the VTEC model is more expensive to begin with. swap the rotor and check out the caliper for damage.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
rear brakes are identical. the price difference is probably is scam, just cause the VTEC model is more expensive to begin with. swap the rotor and check out the caliper for damage.
Hes talking about the price difference between the front and rear rotors, fronts are always cheaper for some damn reason.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys... so I can pretty much pull the rear caliber and rotor from the 93 vtec model and put on my 94 si... just making sure lol. next thing would be what all would I need to do to do that? I'm sure its not as easy as disconnect and reconnect... and funny thing is... I'm pretty sure on that site the vtec rotors were same price as non... even for front. another reason why I was asking to. don't hold me to it though since I can't check right now to be sure lol.Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
37 Posts
With rear wheels removed, one side at a time, vise grip ruber brake line to keep fluid from escaping. Unbolt caliper from bracket and set aside. unbolt barcket and remove old rotor. Now remove hard brake line from old caliper and attach new one. Bolt everything back up. As for turning in the piston on the caliper. Just use a large screw driver or pry bar. Put it in X grooves and turn. Do the same for other side. Then bleed brake system to get the little bit of air out. Dont forget to pump the brake pedal befor driving.
Front calipers. You probably forced the piston too far out of the caliper. Try to fenagle the piston strait so that it fits back into place. Replace rotor and pads with honda stuff. I replaced mine over a year ago and they both look brand new still. It's woth the little extra money. Hope that hepls.

thanks for the help guys... so I can pretty much pull the rear caliber and rotor from the 93 vtec model and put on my 94 si... just making sure lol. next thing would be what all would I need to do to do that? I'm sure its not as easy as disconnect and reconnect... and funny thing is... I'm pretty sure on that site the vtec rotors were same price as non... even for front. another reason why I was asking to. don't hold me to it though since I can't check right now to be sure lol.Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
37 Posts
O yeah, get those rotors off your old car mesured and turned befro install. Put some fresh pads in there too. And remember, squeeking noises are bad!!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O yeah, get those rotors off your old car mesured and turned befro install. Put some fresh pads in there too. And remember, squeeking noises are bad!!

lol ya for sure... just didnt think this bad...

but i got the rotor off and got some pics which I'll have up in a minute... but one my friends said if i'm getting it turned i might as well just get a new one for how much itd cost to turn? ive only gotten one set of rotors turned on my moms car and a guy at big o next to my work did em for me for free so no clue what it actually would cost... ? and measured?? already planning on the new pads.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here they are...

The broken rotor...

Off the other car... pics just took outside...

Taken last night in garage with hanging light... seem to show the orange alot more.

Then just a random one one why shouldve been checked sooner... but didn't start to show til we started getting some consistant snow here so didn't really think to much of it... but stupid of me still...

I can't really tell what would be to much rust or bad condition... figured turn and could sand some the rust? i honestly don't know...??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Caliper is sticking. Or was. It's prob. toast now. Did the car drift to one side when you hit the brake? I wouldn't try to salvage it. Get new ones and be sure it doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
never noticed anything when braking... but ya I'm working on pulling the caliber from the 93 and putting it on my 94. hopefully tomorrow... just gonna be kinda hard cause I don't have acess to my manual so prob download it on roommtes computer.would be a certain point of rust that I shouldn't use the other rotor... it doesn't look horrible but I'm cautious and not sure myself.Posted via Mobile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts