Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an old 3rd gen pass me on a fun road today. Got nostalgic. Looking at craigslist, there's one nearby on craigslist. Pictures show great exterior condition and a cheap price because of rod knock.

Sadly it doesn't have 4ws:wzbigcry:. But oh well.

It's been a loooong time since I worried or thought about car stuff and I'm sure I've forgotten a ton. Bear with me.

So. Rod knock. Is just changing the crankshaft bearings enough? Or is that a makeshift, ghetto fix that can't be relied on?

Swaps: Who even sells b20a's anymore? Didn't see any on ebay or hmotorsonline, where my friends and I bought motors back when.

Rebuilding: Car is a 91, so b21a1, right? FRM sleeves that are a pain and eat piston rings, leading to burning oil? Sleeving is recommended if I rebuild the engine, yes? If sleeving isn't necessary, what do I need to tell the machine shop? I'm relatively rural, couple hours from a major city and only one machine shop in town. Which probably does more business serving the logging and shipbuilding industries than automotive.

Other swaps: What's viable? Is the answer still 'nothing'? Last time I had a 'lude h22 swaps were under production by some company in Arizona and there was tons of drama. Somebody else was trying to step in. Some guy in Washington wanted to get more done, but took forever. Some guy in...Maine? took people's money and ran with it?

So if an h/f swap is possible: From who? What's the total outlay for the mounts, any shifting details, cv shafts, modifying wiring harness, etc-what's the total outlay minus the engine/transmission/mechanical labor?

Same question for a B series-did that ever actually happen?

I'm not really interested in 'it'll be ready in a month!!!'-only to still be waiting 18 months later. I'm trying to figure out my options here, not exchange daydreams while staring longingly at prototypes that won't ever be produced or available.

Thanks y'all!

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
I am the guy who made it all happen, and I am still around.

Done more that the H/F mounts and now got the B series motors and trannys to fit.

AZ no longer exits so I took over the H22 kits, and the traction bar.
www.1funryd.com

Thats my site and you can see I have been busy still.

This is not the old PP.com there have been changes, most of old timers are still kicking around but no one is saying much because most of what can be done to this chassis within reason, is done.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So. Rod knock. Is just changing the crankshaft bearings enough? Or is that a makeshift, ghetto fix that can't be relied on?

Swaps: Who even sells b20a's anymore? Didn't see any on ebay or hmotorsonline, where my friends and I bought motors back when.

Rebuilding: Car is a 91, so b21a1, right? FRM sleeves that are a pain and eat piston rings, leading to burning oil? Sleeving is recommended if I rebuild the engine, yes? If sleeving isn't necessary, what do I need to tell the machine shop? I'm relatively rural, couple hours from a major city and only one machine shop in town. Which probably does more business serving the logging and shipbuilding industries than automotive.

Other swaps: What's viable? Is the answer still 'nothing'? Last time I had a 'lude h22 swaps were under production by some company in Arizona and there was tons of drama. Somebody else was trying to step in. Some guy in Washington wanted to get more done, but took forever. Some guy in...Maine? took people's money and ran with it?

So if an h/f swap is possible: From who? What's the total outlay for the mounts, any shifting details, cv shafts, modifying wiring harness, etc-what's the total outlay minus the engine/transmission/mechanical labor?

Same question for a B series-did that ever actually happen?

I'm not really interested in 'it'll be ready in a month!!!'-only to still be waiting 18 months later. I'm trying to figure out my options here, not exchange daydreams while staring longingly at prototypes that won't ever be produced or available.

Thanks y'all!
You're going to need to rebuild the motor - to change the bearings you need to inspect and measure the crankshaft and if its damaged enough, you'll need another one.

If you're gonna buy this car, check it over for rust and body damage, if it doesn't have much in the way of those problems its probably worth buying.

I say either rebuild the motor or replace it. There's little reason to swap an H/F series motor into this chassis over a 4th or 5th gen because they're more suited to those motors. Same with a B-series. You're going to sink thousands into a swap that will never be worth what you put back into it.

You can find B20As here: http://www.jdmenginezone.com/engine-details/honda/prelude-accord-b20a-88-91.html

If you decide to rebuild, tell the machine shop you need the motor resleeved with iron sleeves, and have them do everything from top to bottom.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
You said it's a 91 but you didn't say which model. If it's a 2.0 Si it will have a b20a5 not a b21a1.

If it has a rod knock it's likely that the crank is damaged. So a rebuild will be necessary.

H22/23 swaps are a lot more common now, as Sean has already posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts