Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my muffler shop modified a greddy header with a 2.5 inch collector mod w/ a high flo cat, but after i drove it i was very dissapointed with the sound. my car sounds like a ricer at the high revs almost sounds like a tiny exhaust leak. is this sound normal after installing a header? my mods before this was intake and apexi ws2 exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its like this rattling sound. It sounds normal before 2k but after it starts to rattle. im gonna check the heat shields

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah i have the same problem with my recently installed vibrant header, sounds like a leak and a whistle. especally when i drive through a tunnel

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
no one ever said a honda exhaust with little or no backpressure or resonance was gonna sound good.

my exhuast is basically just one great big exhuast leak.

RMF + 2.5" cat + N1 + StgII Cams= loud as fuck.

and yeah, it'll always sound like there's an exhaust leak. it plays tricks on your ears.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What you need to get is a resonator that should stop that noise... Thats what my friend did was added a high flow resonator and it sounds GREAT!!!! now has a nice low tone to it and its not raspy at all like it use too... give it a shot man

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah def get a resonator, I had i/h/e on my old third gen and it sounded so bad in the high rpms. Then I got a magnaflow resonator and it completely cured the raspy sound in the higher revs, made it so smooth. I plan on putting at least one resonator on my 5th gen when I do the rmf, carsound, and kteller this summer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
i have cai/dc ss header/rsr exmag and it doenst sound ricey at all. random tech cat is going on in 2 weeks. should maybe be a little louder then, right?

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
the header has alot to do with the sound. My N1 sounded good with stock cat and DC header. I put the RMF and high flow on and boy is it louder....

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys,

I was thinking of putting in a cat back :devil: sooner or later and I was wondering if it's better/necessary to instal an header before the cat back.... or it doesn't really matter

Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
The "highflow cat" is your problem. If you install a factory cat converter you'll lose that raspy sound. But it will cut down on flow of course.

·
Registered
761 Posts
seriously? i spent 225 dollars on the best high flow cat availible, and you are telling me it is going to make my car sound ricey? even with my exmag?

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
grego said:
seriously? i spent 225 dollars on the best high flow cat availible, and you are telling me it is going to make my car sound ricey? even with my exmag?
best doesnt = sound better. Especially when you are going NA.

·
Registered
849 Posts
grego said:
h22a4 + aem cai + dc sports ss + random tech cat + rs*r exmag = sound bad? paaalease...
I'm willing to bet you'll get a raspy sound at higher rpms and your exhaust note wont be as deep. But you might get off lucky since the rs*r exmag isn't a straight through exhaust but rather a chambered one.

M

·
0 Posts
get a dynamax bullet muffler and use it as a resonator. this helped quiet down my exhaust a bunch. nice thing is it's straight through so you won't experience any performance loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just took my car to the shop, nothing is really rattling but the sound is actually made by the exhuast gases. It sounds like a baby rattle at the higher rpms, or a high pitched popping noise. Anyone have this problem from a greddy header w/ 2.5 collector mod?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts