Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore out the threads associated with the front-most hole on the front cross frame (right below the radiator) used to mount the front engine mount to the frame (hole closest to the radiator). Does anyone know if there is enough meat around that hole to drill it out and go with a coil repair kit? I've had some bad experiences repairing threads on this car, considering Honda tends to be a bit stingy with the wall thickness of its wells in certain cases, and don't want to just take a drill to the frame before I know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,747 Posts
You need to cut that section out and reweld new sheet metal and weld in nuts beneath the plate.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to cut that section out and reweld new sheet metal and weld in nuts beneath the plate.
If there is a nut in there, then wouldn't I be able to drill it out and use a Helicoil? The diameter is only slightly larger than the original well. A standard size hex bolt should be able to take that.

·
Premium Member
16,747 Posts
If there is a nut in there, then wouldn't I be able to drill it out and use a Helicoil? The diameter is only slightly larger than the original well. A standard size hex bolt should be able to take that.
Trust me you do not want to do that, just do what I suggested.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it before you replied, considering I'd have to pull the frame anyway if it didn't work. I'm able to torque down the bolt to specification. It seems to have worked. I don't know, I was driving around on a broken front engine mount for a while before I fixed it, so I doubt anything catastrophic will happen if it fails (it still has two of the original bolts functioning).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts