Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I googled and BING’ed and searched and reminisced but cannot find a reliable answer. I a, rebuilding my 1988 Prelude 4WS suspension and found nearly all parts except for the lower control arm bushing in the back. The front ones to the shock absorber are easy to find but the rear ones seem to have parts numbers all over the place. It could also be that they are the same as the front. I just don’t know. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zero:
I was rebuilding the same section on my '91 4WS some time back because I have a pronounced "thunk" when I turn right and go over raised pavement. Have not completed the work as yet and my notes are 6 months old now, but here's some numbers that may/may not be correct for the part. #1552354-SF1-003: was told the replacement part was KYB-SM5209 but I haven't fitted it as my Honda tech couldn't locate the tool he needed to buy to remove the bushing from the bar. Hope this helps. Either way, let me know what you find, please.-Frank

·
Registered
30 Posts
Zero:
I was rebuilding the same section on my '91 4WS some time back because I have a pronounced "thunk" when I turn right and go over raised pavement. Have not completed the work as yet and my notes are 6 months old now, but here's some numbers that may/may not be correct for the part. #1552354-SF1-003: was told the replacement part was KYB-SM5209 but I haven't fitted it as my Honda tech couldn't locate the tool he needed to buy to remove the bushing from the bar. Hope this helps. Either way, let me know what you find, please.-Frank
Hi, sorry I don't mean to highjack the thread here but Frank's reply is very relevant to me. Did you happen to find front upper control arms or bushings? I can't find either one for my 91 4ws and I also have the big clunk. I've redone the rest of my suspension and steering. The UCAs are the only thing left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's the info I wrote down from my research. I'm sorry I can't remember what I bought. I think #6 was Honda #51810-SE0-003 and the part number from Rock Auto was KYB-SM5209 called, "rear strut to arm." I also have notes: Honda Right #52610-SF1-A16 as #6 in the illustration
Honda Left #52620-SF1-A16 as #9 in the illustration on the other side
Sorry, I can't be more specific but I'm in Auburn for the auction and can't put my hands on the parts.
Frank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, much appreciated it.

Regarding the front bushing for for @Wrenchwench, Frank is correct. Those are 003 and can be found on eBay or other places (random search link here, no guarantees if that seller is any good: For Honda Prelude Front Lower Suspension Control Arm Strut Mount 51810SE0003 | eBay)

Regarding the rear bushings, I appreciate your tip @Frank ODonnell. With that number, I can even find them at Napa or other places. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KYBSM5209. Will try them out. One stupid question: they are not the same as the front 003’s, right? The pictures look misleadingly similar.

Thanks much
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Frank ODonnell , another silly question: your mechanic needs a special tool? I was preparing myself for a standard “bushing removal and hammer the sucker back in there” job. Is that not the case?

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The inner lower control arm bushing can be replaced with polyurethane part from a 90-93 Acura integra poly kit.
This has been established for a long time, read up on the the bushing thread in the FAQ section at the top of the forum.

Here is my old thread - Upper Control Arm Bushings - Prothane Part# PTP 8-205 or...

Information on the lower inner bushing and outer lower bushing is at the bottom of the first post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts