Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! thanks to all tips & advise I managed to take out the starter motor of my 1988 prelude.
I had 0% experience with it, and just did what seemed logic. The original Honda manual just said: take off the 2 bolts. It took me hours at least to figure it out b/c of all the hoses and stuff.

Then I had my starter benchtested at autozone; totally broken. I bought a $139 new starter from them.

Ok now I have to put the starter back in. This seems quite tricky. Is there any good how-to / repair instructions on how to do this the 'smart' way?

I looked at autozone for a repair manual but could not find anything. Any help/tips from you guys?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Starters are fairly straight forward to replace, there isn't too much too them.

If I were you, I head back to AutoZone and pick up a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual for your car, best way for DIY. Usually comes with pictures to help you out.

As far as actually replacing the starter...

1.) Make sure the battery is disconnected (both positive and negative)
2.) Install the starter opposite to how you removed it, tighten the bolts to spec (32ft lbs I believe)
3.) reattach the starter solenoid
4.) Reconnect battery (positive first)
5.) Crank her up :)

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
why do you say to reattatch the solenoid? you shouldnt remove the solenoid...

is this an automatic or manual?
the automatic is a little more tricky, the starter sits a little further back...but really, as already stated, starter replacement is pretty straight forward. no special tricks to it really.
oh, and you dont need to remove both positive and negative cables from the battery. negative is sufficient (not that it takes any extra time...but why do unnecessary work :p)

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
I've never had to drain coolant...those hoses are flexible ya know

·
Registered
129 Posts
tsiah said:
I've never had to drain coolant...those hoses are flexible ya know
Generally if you replace a starter that's completely fucked, you'd replace the solenoid. Whenever I do work with solenoids, I replace them.

To each is own I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
barnsey said:
Generally if you replace a starter that's completely fucked, you'd replace the solenoid. Whenever I do work with solenoids, I replace them.

Thanks folks. My car is manual BTW. About the solenoid, wel I just bought a completely 'remanufactured' new starter from Autozone.
About the hoses: It seems trickty to take them off, since I cannot reach really inside to disconnect them in any easy way. There is really little space to it, but ok you guys said I could do it so I will! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
91PreludeJG said:
Yea, i knew i shouldnt have removed the hoses but i have monster hands, and things that get in my way piss me off lol.
Oh man I finally placed the starter back in, and it works! This is amazing, I am a total novice in car repairing! Thanks for all the help guys!

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
barnsey said:

you quoted the wrong post...
and I know you replace the solenoid with the starter. (unless its an old ford with the solenoid on the firewall)

as far as I know, you cant even BUY the starter separate from the solenoid, nor the solenoid separate from the starter. the only people that can do that are the people the rebuild them.

I just found it odd that you mentioned reattatching the solenoid when it should be put in the car with the starter motor all as one single unit...

·
Registered
129 Posts
tsiah said:
you quoted the wrong post...
and I know you replace the solenoid with the starter. (unless its an old ford with the solenoid on the firewall)

as far as I know, you cant even BUY the starter separate from the solenoid, nor the solenoid separate from the starter. the only people that can do that are the people the rebuild them.

I just found it odd that you mentioned reattatching the solenoid when it should be put in the car with the starter motor all as one single unit...
Who knows. I only mentioned it because that's how I replace everything. I take it completely apart, and reassemble it. I was just being cautious in case he had taken it out. :tongue:

Just habit for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts