Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've finally got a rear bumper so now I can rid of my cracked bumper and install the new one. Just 2 questions:

-The best way to repaint prelude bumper with spray paint, the new one is green, car is gray. I need a step to step guide because I've never paint parts car.

-The new bumper is from a 90-91, my car is 88-89. Are there any trouble with it? I've searched in FAQS and past thread and sems it could be some problems....I hope not :huh:

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
The bumper cover you are trying to use won't fit. Your 88/89 tail lights are taller than the 90/91, and won't allow you to fit the bumper onto the car. The alternative would be to swap out the tails and trunk lid, but that's a whole other can of worms.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man u just give me a really bad news. :frown: It's about 2 years I'm looking for a rear bumper, now I've got it and won't fit? If the difference is only for taillights (so the mount is ok I guess) maybe it's possible force it to fit or any modification....if I convert tail light to 90-91 I need to change even rear panel and I don't wanna going to more trouble.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
trust me... dont even consider trying to change the taillights and all that jazz.

if you have that hard a time finding a bumper theres no way your gonna be able to do the rear end swap. You will need the following parts if you try: rear bumper support, new rear pan ( sheet metal behind tails) , the 90-91 taillights, and a 90-91 trunk lid and trunk support bars... not to mention all the rewiring you'll have to do for the new tails cuz the bulbs and lighting setups are different.

It'll take some time to find the right one, but look for the right bumper for your car.

You could prolly make it work, but it's gonna look like crap. I dont even think the bumper will mount to the rear bumper support properly. The mounting spots are different cuz the 88-89's have a lip that comes up on the top of the bumper under the taillights. the 90-91's taillights sit lower so there is close to no lip there.

if you need me to, i can take a picture & show you the difference.

I have a yellow 88-89 bumper in my shed & the 90-91 that is on my car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What a shame...I'm going to commit a suicide...and if I mind all trouble I've past to get this bumper from Germany.

In any case I think maybe I'll give it a try, because actually my rear fashion is very crap. My bumper is cracked, damaged and not even alligned properly due to a stupid man went on it with own car at my car parked...it's past 3 years.

In worst case I think I'm going to repair my bumper. I'll post u a picture next days.

This is a very beatiful car and it's a waste leave it like that :(

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
you cant order one online?

fix it yourself, drill holes, zip tie it together, use fiberglass and cover the cracks, holes and zip ties completely, sand it down, if you have a strong enough sander it should go through the zip ties too so no worries there.. then paint it.

i just thought of that so if anyone thinks it wont work, please chime in before he fucks his bumper up more..

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts

If you look you can see the portion of the bumper that comes up and meets the bottom of the tail lights on the 90-91 bumper is taller than the 88-89 bumper. You would need to trim this down at least, it will probably take even more work than that though when mounting it.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
you cant order one online?

fix it yourself, drill holes, zip tie it together, use fiberglass and cover the cracks, holes and zip ties completely, sand it down, if you have a strong enough sander it should go through the zip ties too so no worries there.. then paint it.

i just thought of that so if anyone thinks it wont work, please chime in before he fucks his bumper up more..
having gone to school for autobody and collision...and working with fiberglass from time to time... i can honestly say thats a horrible idea.

getting fiberglass to stick to abs plastic is hard enough.

He might as well buy the tools for doing plastic welding, it envolves grooving out the cracks filling with a plastic rod or squeeze tube, sanding down once set, priming and painting.

fiberglass may stick for now but as soon as it gets rocked again it will chip off.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
having gone to school for autobody and collision...and working with fiberglass from time to time... i can honestly say thats a horrible idea.

getting fiberglass to stick to abs plastic is hard enough.

He might as well buy the tools for doing plastic welding, it envolves grooving out the cracks filling with a plastic rod or squeeze tube, sanding down once set, priming and painting.

fiberglass may stick for now but as soon as it gets rocked again it will chip off.
well ive never worked with fiberglass.. it was just something that came off the top of my head.
lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here some picure about my "rear situation". As it's show is pretty shitty. I need to do something for fitting the new rear bumper. Ny tips for the work to do is good news :) Tell me if u need pictures at higher definition. The hit was from a bmw going about 80-100Km/h at my car parked. Obviously this man escaped....it's about 2000-3000 euro of damage. I was able to make up best possible in this way. Anyway this is a demo how is solid car a Prelude. And yes the rear panel behind rear bumper is messy on the rear left side (where car was hitting, just left to license plate) but I just know I can fit a rear bumper properly alligned putting some dummy stuff to padding the extra empty space on the rear left side beetwen rear bumper and rear panel.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
You won't get a 90 spec rear bumper to line up with 88 tail lights, they are totally different. Looking at the pics it looks like you need to rebuild the whole of the rear end, its all out of shape, might be a good excuse to convert the whole rear end to a 90 spec!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, but rebuild whole rear end take me much money about 1000euro (trunk, tail light, rear panel welding, repaint parts, ecc.). With 1000euro I can take another whole Prelude :) Last year there was a '91 with 3K (basically a brand new) for only 3500euro. :D

I would make up only rear bumper and the fashion should be ok.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I would suggest that you keep looking for an 88/89 rear bumper. Eventually you'll find one. Trying to get a 90/91 bumper to fit will look like hell unless you do the tail light swap.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Yes, but rebuild whole rear end take me much money about 1000euro (trunk, tail light, rear panel welding, repaint parts, ecc.). With 1000euro I can take another whole Prelude :) Last year there was a '91 with 3K (basically a brand new) for only 3500euro. :D

I would make up only rear bumper and the fashion should be ok.
No no no, it doesn't have to cost the earth, Strip down the rear end and beat the rear panel out with a hammer. Replace the your tail lights beacuse they all look damaged Source an 88 - 90 rear bumper, probably from the same car you new tail lights are going to come from and... Bob's your uncle! 150euro's max, if you hold out long enough you could nget a grey rear bumper!:)

If someone hit your car between 80-100kmh it would look like this...

And their car would look like this! lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well is not so easy found out rear parts in my place. U know I took 2 years for founding out a rear bumper. Anyway what u say was my my project in my mind.

For hitting 80-100-Km/h was police forecast. It's not a joke but the picture u've posted is pretty similar what's real happened and involving 3 cars as well but the 3 cars was parked next each other by side. It's not easy to explain, the scene was look like movies :) That man fall to hit my car firstly then the other 2. Even if my car was the first car hitted so receiving more speed impact, in real the hit was absorbed very well comparing what's happened to other 2 cars: rear completely finished on the 2nd car pretty similar at the picture u've posted. Probably my car was first but hitting angle help my car. Adding hit was from rear left but my car shift to next car parked and all rear left side (just in front of rear left tire next to gas cap, in my picture not shows but I've fixed up 2 years ago as rear bumper as possible) was completely damaged as minced meat. Luck to not damage rear left tire otherwise car was ready for wrecker. So when I discovery the crash I found my car almost on top of the car parked next....damaged on my car was not too much comparing what's happened at the other cars and due to forecast crash explain by police.

A little funny is now when sometime I go to tire-dealer and he notice car had receive an hit on the rear left side and see tire not alligned due to 4WS and he thinks the wholw rear train is not alligned. At this point I start the car and turn steering and u should see how impression of 4 wheel steering :D These people is funny.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
A little funny is now when sometime I go to tire-dealer and he notice car had receive an hit on the rear left side and see tire not alligned due to 4WS and he thinks the wholw rear train is not alligned. At this point I start the car and turn steering and u should see how impression of 4 wheel steering :D These people is funny.
I think one bodyshop guy I went to see about rear arch rust was ready to hand his humanity back to god when he thought my rear wheel was fooked and I showed him the ways of 4WS he didn't look that pleased with himself lol.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You won't get a 90 spec rear bumper to line up with 88 tail lights, they are totally different. Looking at the pics it looks like you need to rebuild the whole of the rear end, its all out of shape, might be a good excuse to convert the whole rear end to a 90 spec!

+1.

you need all three taillight sections and a bumper anyway.....

just add a trunk lid and you are done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
+1.

you need all three taillight sections and a bumper anyway.....

just add a trunk lid and you are done.
and a new rear panel....telling the truth if a new rear panel was not necessary for fitting 90 taillight I was going in this way but I think I'll go for 88-89 rear bumper, no other choice.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
WTF! Is that a prelude? Kinda a rhetorical question. I know it is kinda off topic, but damn I hope that wasn't your car.

If someone hit your car between 80-100kmh it would look like this...

And to the tailights, You don't have to use the 90-91 rear panel for the lights. Members on here have cut and hacked them to fit and you can't tell from the outside. And I'm sure you can find the whole back end for an 88 prelude over there for way cheaper than buying a whole new car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts