Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there has already been a thread on this and people were arguning back and forth whether this was a good idea or not. i was sitting on the fence as to whether i was going to remove mine. well today i took the rubber gaurd off the rear wheel well just to check it out. i was absolutely amazed at the large amounts of build up in there. not just in the rubber guard itself but in the lip of the well. there was about an inch of sand, grime, and salt in there. for those of you that live in areas that get salted roads i would highly consider taking these off at least for a cleaning. i am very meticulous about getting all the salt off my car after a snow storm and had no idea how much crap there was up there. this without a doubt would have left me with the notorious rear fender honda rot. i can already see one spot where a small amount of rust is forming. just thought i would let people know. no one wants a rusty lude

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
i wouldnt take them out. You talking about the wheel well liner? Mine got ripped out under my tire and now i constantly have to clean that side of the car cuz dirt goes everywhere.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
No, he's talking about the narrow strip of rubber that protects the flat edge of the rear fenders, they run about 2/3 the way around.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
they are there for a reason you guys. honda didnt just decide to throw some plastic crap in there for the hell of it or so they can rot your car. take them off and clean it out by all means, but PUT IT BACK afterwards. you need them, nuff said

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flamencolude97 said:
they are there for a reason you guys. honda didnt just decide to throw some plastic crap in there for the hell of it or so they can rot your car. take them off and clean it out by all means, but PUT IT BACK afterwards. you need them, nuff said
i assume they are there for the for maybe shit that might get thrown up there and chip that small lip. the best route is to clean them and then put them back on, but they tend to fall off once they have been removed once. but there is gobs of shit in there that needs to be cleaned

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
what is this rubber fender gaurd you guys talking about? is it the little rubber is on the fender and its between the wheel and the rubber?????

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the uppper rear wheel well has like a rubber trim piece that goes on the outter part of the well

·
Test PipE MasTeR
1,488 Posts
i would leave it in cuz ive taken them out to try to reduce weight but the inside of the car gets dirty fast like ur ex-girlfriend

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
they are there for one reason. To protect the fender lip from getting chipped from stones thrown up by the tire...stone chips will rust! Now if you would rather take them off to keep grime and salt from getting stuck in them and causing rust then you will need to keep checking and touch up painting the unprotected fender lips.

- JL

·
Registered
137 Posts
2000BB6 said:
i would leave it in cuz ive taken them out to try to reduce weight but the inside of the car gets dirty fast like ur ex-girlfriend
couldnt care less about this topic... but great fucking quote!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would take them out, sand down any rust (mine had some) and spray some undercoating on the lip. Just make sure you tape off the actual fender.

I had to do this because my fenders needed to be rolled to make room for my wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts