Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. n00b & not yet a lude owner, but hear me out! :) I'm disabled, meaning full-gimp, wheelchair & all, haha. I just checked out a 5th gen for the first time and one of my physical probs is that the door doesn't open wide enough/seat doesn't slide back quite far enough to make transferring from my chair to car, as "easy" as I'd like it to be. Would it be possible/hard to mount the stock frame rails a few inches rearward, for the drivers seat, and if done, would it cause any problems with function? If doable, and if I can wrap my head around the high possibility of a SS failures, I might be sold.. Oh, and as always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
881 Posts
The prelude is a unitbody, so you wont be able to just rebolt the seats farther back as the pan is reinforced where the seats mount. There is a horizontal member that the front bolts mount to. It is possible to fab up some brackets that will bolt into the factory holes and let you bolt the seat in on the other end of the bracket, although its probably not a good idea any more than a couple inches..you still want to be safe in case of an accident, especially since the seatbelt buckle anchors on the seat track. Like anything its possible, you just have to find someone to do some fab work!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe a dumb question.. does the passenger seat slide farther back than drivers? Reason I ask is when I got in the other side, it didn't seem to be an issue, so I'm wondering if one seat goes farther back, by design, or there's somthin goin on with this particular lude, be it in the seating or door.. (MX-3 drivers side seats slide farther back than passenger, by design, which would make more sense than the other way around, but had to ask.. lol)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not that ive noticed but you could be right by design maybe due to the height adjust on the drivers seat there may be more limited adjustment. Also the seats are "calibrated" for airbag deployment.

·
12,918 Posts
Since I'm guessing you're going to be modding the lude a bit for your function, I'm sure you could modify the door limiter thing (that stops the door from opening any further) and make it a bit longer. It's possible to open the door more without making it hit the fender.

You could also modify the inside door panel (remove it, etc.) so you'd have more room to get in.

You can't modify the seat much to make it go farther back. Maybe 2-3 inches max if you found a way.
The gas tank is right underneath the rear seats so you can't modify any of the flooring to make more room.

You might be able to somehow modify the steering wheel column so that it tilts higher up though.

Good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
What about a removable steering wheel?
Or is this not part of the issue, I could see this also affecting some of your potential driving utilities, even if it were.
Not sure, figured i'd bring it up just in case!

When you say "Getting into a prelude" I think "Slamming my knee on the steering column"

·
Registered
219 Posts
if your asking to move the seat back ... yes its posable

the shop i work at has done mods for other disabled custmers

some time we've even installed a Kirkey full race seat and 5 point to help support him in the car but check with local laws and mto before any mod

good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, lots of replies, thanks! Naa, the steering wheel isn't an issue, though thanks for the thought Hazmatt. If that were the prob, I'd have one heckuva prob in the Miata! That was an original thought with it though, removeable wheel, to aid with space when pulling my chair's frame across to the passenger seat. I can juust fit it through the door opening with everything stock, though I'm sure it's interesting to watch. :tongue:

Hmm, didn't know the drivers seat was height adjustable, that could be a good thing for me, as I'm a little on the short side/always sitting on a cushion for just that reason. Does anybody know what the range of adjustability is there? Modifying the door limiter to open farther sounds like a good plan, maybe better/easier than moving the seat back, (I'm not into losing the door panel, as it wouldn't be a track car), though what you said integra 2.2t is good to hear as well, and I wish your shop was cloeser! I really need no other mods, at least so far, other than my hand controls. If I'm doing any serious cornering I'd need a harness, though they're a pain on a daily basis, so I just use a simple chest strap. Does your shop happen to do any custom hand control type stuff?

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
The prelude seats aren't height adjustable unless you consider the dial on the side of the seat that adjusts the seat bottom slope.

I think I have an idea on how to safely mount your seat back further.
Take a 3/4" hardend steel plate cut in a rectangle and mount it to the stock seat mounts, then bolt your seat to that. I draw up a few pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Prelude seat mounting:

Custom steel mounting base to move the seat back furter:

In the picture is said bolt the plate down but it might be stronger if you weld it to the original seat mounts.

The seats in a prelude are only a few inches from the back seat alreadt so you can only go back maybe 3" more before your seat can't go back any further.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Open can of soda in the prelude? tsk tsk..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
...I think I have an idea on how to safely mount your seat back further...
Sweet man, thanks! Now that I know there's at least one way, if not a couple, around the getting in/out issue I ran into, I need to go look at the nearest lude again, to see if they're for me in general. (176 miles one way, lol) Then, if so, find one in black or red, haha. (the two stock colors I like best, though I might settle for any color, who knows) I'd really like to have leather too, (makes getting in & out easier), but that seems to be hard to find, plus I could always get the seats re-done later etc. Haha @ the open pop message too, LOL! (I buy bottles for the MX'ing :tounge:) Oh yeah, and as I put in a different thread - it's great to have found a forum with such helpful peeps. Not to dog on H, but I was a little leary of what I could be getting into, lol. (which I know is generalizing, but.. :redface:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Open can of soda in the prelude? tsk tsk..
Dont get too excited though.. its only the people on this forum that are good and helpful people.. On some other forums they'd be giving you so much crap.. Thats why i just look for stuff around here.. if its not already here.. ill just ask and wont really bother going anywhere else unless i need to buy something asap..Good luck in your search for a new car..:spinface:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont get too excited though.. its only the people on this forum that are good and helpful people...
Yeah, I've bumped into some of those other forums, lol - why I've stuck around here for my posts & to poke around, and thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Sweet man, thanks! Now that I know there's at least one way, if not a couple, around the getting in/out issue I ran into, I need to go look at the nearest lude again, to see if they're for me in general. (176 miles one way, lol) Then, if so, find one in black or red, haha. (the two stock colors I like best, though I might settle for any color, who knows) I'd really like to have leather too, (makes getting in & out easier), but that seems to be hard to find, plus I could always get the seats re-done later etc. Haha @ the open pop message too, LOL! (I buy bottles for the MX'ing :tounge:) Oh yeah, and as I put in a different thread - it's great to have found a forum with such helpful peeps. Not to dog on H, but I was a little leary of what I could be getting into, lol. (which I know is generalizing, but.. :redface:)
I just measured the clearance with the front seat all the way back, you can only make the seat go back about 1.5" more than normal and that will have the seat back touching the back seat area.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just measured the clearance with the front seat all the way back, you can only make the seat go back about 1.5" more than normal and that will have the seat back touching the back seat area.
Thanks man, I'm really starting to wonder if I didn't have the seat slid all the way back, or something incredibly dumb. :redface: (and wishing it wasn't such a long damn drive, just to look at one!)

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Thanks man, I'm really starting to wonder if I didn't have the seat slid all the way back, or something incredibly dumb. :redface: (and wishing it wasn't such a long damn drive, just to look at one!)
Maybe not back all the way, the doors don't open really wide though so that takes some room away. If you can get in and out of a dinky little MX3, you should be able to sport a lude.:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts