Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda Prelude
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am nearly finished with getting my Prelude back to fixed. Air conditioning is my final project. The AC Clutch relay and the condenser fan relay need replacing, but they are 30 bucks each and have the rubber heat shield and metal piece for mounting(?). I noticed while troubleshooting that if I break off the back clip of the radiator fan switch relay it fits perfectly into the connectors and is only 10 dollars each. The auto parts websites say all three are 4 prong 20 amp relays, and the OEM parts diagram lists the 2 I'm trying to replace with the same part #... so I assume that if I get 2 of the 10 dollar relays I should be good to go. Right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check on rockauto and cross match the numbers if u want to be sure. I'm confident they're are interchangeable,

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
I had a 97 parts car some years ago, if you're talking about the (2) rubber booted relays behind the drivers headlight, I can take a look for them sometime this week.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Prelude
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Wing8806 I actually er'd on the side of caution and bought the 30 dollar ones. I am convinced that I need a new climate control unit. I've checked everything under the troubleshooting guide to get my A/C working again. Every fuse, that elusive diode, replaced relays and fuses... I've got no clue. Furthermore, I've taken it to a shop and hired a mobile mechanic (you should have seen his setup out of a MBZ Sprinter it was glorious) and they both said the same thing, "there is nothing obviously wrong with the A/C and it would expose us to liability to probe any further since the car is dated and no longer stock."

So, if you've got a climate control cluster, or perhaps even the wiring harness behind the dash, I'll gladly send you $$ for them (I haven't forgotten about the water pump you got me I'm not gonna take these parts for free so let me know a price if you've got them).

At this point I'd even jump the connectors in whatever fashion to get that air blowing again.

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have the climate control harness, just need to sort through my box of wires... Could also dig up a spare climate control unit from a friend next week out of a 99' parts car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts