Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as title says finally I'm rebuilding my tranny. I have ITR DC2 LSD to install. I have 3 trannies to choose parts from and all of them are already torn apart in the basement ;) Here is what I'm talking about:

I have 2 3gen trannies: D2L5 and D2M5 and one from Accord '91 H2C4

I'vee calculated the gear ratios of these trannies and some of them are different from what I've seen in the web. I'll post all the info I've found later because I've to go now. I hope this thread will be helpful so stay tuned.

·
no mo mod
13,010 Posts
I can't see the pics here at work, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :emthup: I have a 94-96 (I forget the model # for the trans) accord transmission sitting in my garage. When I can afford the rebuild kit and the ACT clutch, I'll be installing the accord 5th gear, rebuilding the transmission and installing the 9 lb flywheel I have :emthup: I'll add to your thread when I get around to my rebuild...keep all the info in one place ;)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture(s) aren't showing for me.
I don't know what's going on with these pictures. I guess I don't know how to work with picasaweb because I just registered there :) I will try again:

Later will add some info about the trannies.

·
UNNATURAL HEIGHTS
1,534 Posts
Ahh much better :)
I wish I had more knowledge with transmissions. I would love to build one. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So far I've calculated the gear ratios of D2M5(B20A9 3gen) and D2L5(B20A7 3gen) trannies:

D2M5
1st - 3.3077
2nd - 1.8095
3rd - 1.2308
4th - 0.9666
5th - 0.8125
Final - 4.0625

D2L5
1st - 3.3077
2nd - 1.7727
3rd - 1.2308
4th - 0.9666
5th - 0.8125
Final - 4.0625

So it looks like I had wrong info from this website: http://www.prelude3web.com/spec.html

I need to calculate Accord gear ratios too. I only know that final ratio is 4.2666 and 5th gear is 0.7576.
So I was wondering if Accord and 3G countershafts are replaceable it means that I could make my final ratio from 4.0625 to 4.2666.

My question is would it be good for street racing or track racing? FYI my car is B20A9 with T3/T4 turbo and around 250-300 ponnies.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
With that much power it's not a good idea to shorten the final drive.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With that much power it's not a good idea to shorten the final drive.
Do you mean that if I shorten the final drive I'll spin the tires more? So I should use stock D2L5 ratios except 5th gear from Accord?

Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Just replied to it.

Yes, shortening the FD will be the wrong thing to do with a turbot and that much power. It'll make the already short 1st gear almost pointless.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
sweet man ill be watchin this closely cuase ill be doin the samething some time in the future keep it up

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
What a great thread, I love the transmssion info. The only problem I run into with the accord 5th gear is that it is indeed taller than the prelude 5th gear, so with the b20's torque, you will need to stay in 4th gear untill around 42-44 mph. Where's before you would shift into 5th around 38-40mph with the prelude gearing. Other than that the 5th gear is sweet on the interstate. I would like to have a taller 1st gear, alot of other people have said this to through the years. The acura integra 95ish (LS) 5-speed gear box has a taller first gear and I would love to find one of these here in the yards, but there always missing from the cars when I find the right integra to pull one from. Great thread, alot of usefull info to learn from this.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
There is a fundamental problem with that idea though.
You cannot pull a first gear from a Teg(or any H box) box, first and second gears are integral parts of the mainshaft.

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
There is a fundamental problem with that idea though.
You cannot pull a first gear from a Teg(or any H box) box, first and second gears are integral parts of the mainshaft.
^^^ Yeah, so the 2ed gear hopefully will be the same or atleast close to the prelude's 2ed. I would perfer it to be the same.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
dude im wanting to take apart my tranny to im gonan watch this build thread i love people that take trannys apart i never done it but want to learn. also did u use a itr lsd i heard do u think aftermarkets will work

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ Yeah, so the 2ed gear hopefully will be the same or atleast close to the prelude's 2ed. I would perfer it to be the same.
That's a good idea. But do you think that the mainshafts are replaceable with teggy ones?

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
That's a good idea. But do you think that the mainshafts are replaceable with teggy ones?
I highly suspect so for a few reasons, The clutches are the same which mean at least one of the shafts might be the same, and 1st and 2ed gear are wider just as the 90-91 5-speed prelude's are. When rebuilding my tranny the first time I used this book as a reference (by motorbooks Workshop), How to rebuild and modify your manual transmission. The section is The honda b-series transaxle, well anyways, the featured tranny is just that a basic 95 integra 5-speed Ls tranny (S80). Internally it looks very much the same as ours, I can't wait to see someone try to swap the gear stacks. The first gear is 3.230 with second gear have a ratio of 1.900. Final drive is also the same as the prelude's at 4.266. What's the gear ratio's for your prelude tranny for 1st and 2ed?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I highly suspect so for a few reasons, The clutches are the same which mean at least one of the shafts might be the same, and 1st and 2ed gear are wider just as the 90-91 5-speed prelude's are. When rebuilding my tranny the first time I used this book as a reference (by motorbooks Workshop), How to rebuild and modify your manual transmission. The section is The honda b-series transaxle, well anyways, the featured tranny is just that a basic 95 integra 5-speed Ls tranny (S80). Internally it looks very much the same as ours, I can't wait to see someone try to swap the gear stacks. The first gear is 3.230 with second gear have a ratio of 1.900. Final drive is also the same as the prelude's at 4.266. What's the gear ratio's for your prelude tranny for 1st and 2ed?
The gear ratios of my 3G Prelude trannies are in post #6. One of them is from B20A7 and the other from B20A9. I'll be using the one from B20A7 because it has longer 2nd gear. I read on the web that it should have longer 3rd too but as I calculated the 3rd is the same. The only difference between the 2 trannies is 2nd gear.

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
I need to calculate Accord gear ratios too. I only know that final ratio is 4.2666 and 5th gear is 0.7576.
So I was wondering if Accord and 3G countershafts are replaceable it means that I could make my final ratio from 4.0625 to 4.2666.

^^^^^ The only accord that has a final drive of 4.266 is the 90-93 wagon. All other 90-93's have the 4.026 or somthing like that. Are you tring to use the shafts from a newer accord tranaxle?

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
The gear ratios of my 3G Prelude trannies are in post #6. One of them is from B20A7 and the other from B20A9. I'll be using the one from B20A7 because it has longer 2nd gear. I read on the web that it should have longer 3rd too but as I calculated the 3rd is the same. The only difference between the 2 trannies is 2nd gear.
I would say 1st gear could be most definitely be taller, 2ed is pretty good and could be taller for a turbo charged application only. I would keep it the shorter for N/A motor for torque reason's. I would not worry much about 3ed, just as long as there is a good transition from 2ed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts