Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Good Stuff
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my windows tinted today. They messed them up so I have to take it back Monday anyway. I was wanting to get a strip across the top of the windshield but held off because I didn't know if the mirror comes off or not. So yeah, does it come off and go back on or would I have to break something to get it off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I got it done to mine when i had mine tinted, and i'm assuming they took it off and replaced it with new glue. i haven't had any problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
The rear-view mirror does come off, but not easily. I've vibrated mine off 3 times with my system, so yeah, it comes off. You just have to get a rear-view mirror glue kit and put it back on later, just be sure to put it back in the same spot. If you mount it too high, it gets in the way of the visors, and if it's too low then the view wont be worth crap.

An easier way to do it is to have them cut a notch out for the mirror and lay it like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
DarkFury said:
The rear-view mirror does come off, but not easily. I've vibrated mine off 3 times with my system, so yeah, it comes off. You just have to get a rear-view mirror glue kit and put it back on later, just be sure to put it back in the same spot. If you mount it too high, it gets in the way of the visors, and if it's too low then the view wont be worth crap.

An easier way to do it is to have them cut a notch out for the mirror and lay it like that.
getting my tints done today im thnking of telling them to do this too. have had people get there done and have it fall down while driving from bad tint work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
notnilc said:
I got it done to mine when i had mine tinted, and i'm assuming they took it off and replaced it with new glue. i haven't had any problems
I've seen a lot of windshields come to the shop with the rear-view button already there so all they had to do was put the windshield in and slide the mirror over the button.
 

·
The Good Stuff
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sexy94vtec said:
It should come off...what do you think they do when you get a new windsheild?
I guess I never thought about it... :dontgetit:
My dad had a Dakota and he tried like 4 different kits to get his mounted back on and it never stuck, and it was never tinted, it just fell off. :|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
they did it around my mirror or the base where it hooks up to the mirror! came out clean actually
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
lol, well i'm just an idiot guys. i thought about this today driving home and i realized that the rearview mirror in the 5th gen isn't even attached to the windsheild. it comes down between the sun visors :sigh:
 

·
The Good Stuff
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Edul59 said:
they did it around my mirror or the base where it hooks up to the mirror! came out clean actually
Well I'd be afraid to let these people do that. They refused to go darer than the legal limit of 35%. I wanted 30% but whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
When I got my windows tinted they broke my mirror off when putting on the front strip. They did not charge for the front strip because they told me to take it to the local glass company to get it put back on cause they did not have the tool to put it back on! I ended up getting it back on with a screwdriver. Hope it turns out better for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
ya my rearview mirror is kinda sketchy its like hangin on there by a thread i tried taking it off and there is some kind of screw in the back with a spring and some sort of clip underneath it .......but i cant seem to get it to fit back just right :/
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top