Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My apologies upfront if this is a redundant post but I cannot find anything similar hence the new post. I am currently rebuilding the suspension on my 1988 3rd Gen 4WS Japan import. I need to replace the rear tie rods due to torn boots but whatever I order doesn't fit. Honda Parts ID lists the matching part id as 53550-SF1-004 (Honda online store : 1988 prelude tie rod (front and rear) parts) which then brings me to several options including CARiD and RockAuto...

...but every part I order has a different (smaller) bolt radius. See picture...my original ones show 12MM (technically 12.5MM) while the ordered parts show 10MM (10.5MM). Even though every time I asked if the replacement with 53550-SF1-004, I I return the sets due to wrong bolt radius.

What am I missing? Is the Japanese version different? Do I have the wrong inner tie rods?

Any help would be highly appreciated...as I am about to lose it.

Picture: left new replacement part, right original part (much wider)

Thanks, Chris

Glasses Hand Tire Goggles Vision care

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my knowledge, the rear outer tie rods are very rare and hard to come by because its 4ws specific. Only our 3rd gen 4ws models use this specific tie rod. These sites like "carid" and "rockauto" get their compatibility wrong sometimes. What you can do is get the front outer tie rods and tap them to the proper size to fit the rear. Pitch is M14x1.5. good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Super helpful @davidpham1029, really appreciate it. What continues to be confuse me is that these sites claim that the part numbers are matching...drives me nuts. I will try to tap them...I have enough laying around to trial and error :)

Update: I am working with Rockauto to update their website and found a German merchant who claims that they have the proper ones. I have them measure and send picture before shipping...I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@davidpham1029, one more question if you don't mind (maybe to all). Would you tap the tie rod to a bigger a size or reduce the linkage to the new part (don't know the pitch of the front tie rod)? I have very limited experience in such metal work but it seems that reducing the steering linkage would be easier? Thanks so much

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I decided to go down the route of reducing the rear inner tie rod thread to M12x1.25, the size of the front spec. It seems easier and less destructive than drilling the outer tie rods. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome and whether me decision was utterly stupid. Which me luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much. I am somewhat confused because I went to my local NAPA store who ordered me the wrong ones as well. But I will try those. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update: after waiting two weeks for the nap parts to ship, I am sad to report they also don’t fit. I have no clue why anyone would pay $150 per tie rod for once that aren’t any special…but these have the same issue with the fitting.

Yes this has been know for decades now.
You have to purchase the correct ones which are much pricer than the normal tie rod ends.

Here is the rear outer from napaonline - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCD2693184?impressionRank=6

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
Quick update: after waiting two weeks for the nap parts to ship, I am sad to report they also don’t fit. I have no clue why anyone would pay $150 per tie rod for once that aren’t any special…but these have the same issue with the fitting.
They did not have the right part?
Wow!!! Well I guess we are in no mans land now.

Which means we need to have custom rear tie rods made specific for 4WS now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am really baffled by all of this. The packaging has the right order number. When opening, there is another part number which cannot be found anywhere and the tied rod in the packaging is a regular front tie rod with the smaller thread. Therefore, I went to my local NAPA store (because in the past they were helpful) but they were completely useless. I got the information that the tie rod "looks like the on the picture" (as tie rods have a custom shape, seriously). So, there are two running theories;

1) Someone changed the tie rods in the packages to front tie rods
2) Napa (Dorman) secretly changed the spec

My biggest problem right now? I am still dead in the water without tie rods...because I was an idiot and hammered them out thinking how easy it would be to replace those.
Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Space

Hand Peripheral Input device Light Space bar

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
Kevin - Cudaboy has verified that if you can find them, the 4th gen Prelude rear Tie Rod ends work for ours.
Here are the part numbers:

1. Honda Tie Rod End 53550-SS0-J61
2. Honda OEM Part 90363-SF1-000 - castle nut

Material property Staple food Font Composite material Plastic

Here is another option off ebay:
Automotive tire Musical instrument Sports equipment Automotive design Guitar

Automotive tire Table Gas Automotive wheel system Toy

Gas Plumbing Wood Door Metal

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
Also here is some other information that we have accumulated over the years:

Pete aka LudeAEM - Alright, good news for
:4WS:
rear tie rod people. I have hunted down thread specs because I was not about to pay $100+ for ONE tie rod.

Key Note - Due this at your own risk. I have had good luck so far but some minor modifications may need to occur for your car.

Specs:

Rod thread specifications - m14 x 1.5
Stud (where castle nut threads) - Factory is m10 x 1.25 However you CAN use m12 x whatever (1.0,1.25, etc) since it comes with its own nut. The mount on the spindle is large enough to fit M12.

Potential cars:

I used a tie rod from a 86-91 Celica. The length of the tie rod is about the same but I did use a washer as the Stud may have been a smidge longer? I should have measured.

95-98 Hyundai Sonata seems to be a good alternative. Shorter than OEM but should be a nice alternative.

If you need more length and would rather cut the tie rod to length than 91-95 Alfa Romeo 164

Highest quality is subjective but you can find yourself one with a grease fitting and you'll be set. Here is the link to the Moog site where you can find other possible solutions, https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/u ... d_ends.asp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sean, I really appreciate the help. I just immediately ordered the set from eBay based on your post below...fingers crossed and again, I so appreciate all the help. I want to drive my baby again! Chris

Kevin - Cudaboy has verified that if you can find them, the 4th gen Prelude rear Tie Rod ends work for ours.
Here are the part numbers:

1. Honda Tie Rod End 53550-SS0-J61
2. Honda OEM Part 90363-SF1-000 - castle nut

View attachment 29929

Here is another option off ebay:
View attachment 29930

View attachment 29931

View attachment 29932

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
74 Posts
Just for more options for others reading this later, on my 4th gen, I've also used:

Vauxhall Vectra B front tie rod end
Jaguar X-Type front tie rod ends

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See this? Seeeeeee this? This, my friends, are working rear tie rods!!!

Thank you, everyone, for helping. A special call out to @1funnydfor researching and guiding and really everyone.

Now we get an alignment and then…yes.
Hand Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive lighting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts