Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear springs in my base lude were cut by some idiot owner. I'd rather a stupid looking stock suspension than good looking, uneven, unpredictable, tire-eating-camber lowered suspension that's on there now.

I found a lude at a salvage yard that appears to have stock uncut springs, but with the car off the ground and no load on suspension, the springs were able to "move", almost jiggle, and I could spin them around the shock a few degrees.

Is this right?

For the record, I tried this later on in my own cut-spring car and they were solid as a rock...wouldn't budge.

I can't embed the video so fuck it.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. There is a discount weekend later this month so I won't be buying them until then. Should come out to ~$23 each.

·
Registered
117 Posts
oddly enough I had that exact issue with my car on the rear springs only when installing the ebach pro kit that lowers the car 1.3". you could move it back and forth and it was like there was no tension on them. drove the car like it for a week and got annoyed by the noises and banging and was about to take them off but ended up doing the rear shock collar update/fix and took them off fully and put back on and they were tight all of a sudden and its been all good and quiet since? So i'm honestly not sure if it was a install error the first time for if the new updated shock collar helped? We used all 4 new oem bump stops all around with about 1" cut off of each so the spring could fully sit/travel.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
No set of stock springs should have slop when they're at full droop- the set you see in the junkyard either isn't stock, or is stock and has been cut.

The factory coil springs are actually under a little bit of compression on the factory shocks by design from Honda. That's why you need a spring compressor when you change them. If they don't have any compression against the tophat or the strut, then said springs are junk.

Just buy a set of Tein S.Spec coil springs. For $200, they ride comparably to stock, and they do offer a very mild drop. The extra $100 you'll spend on brand new, unused springs is well worth the investment over used mystery springs that might be bent, sagging, or ready to break a coil.

As far as the springs "banging around" while driving, that's impossible. Short of your car catching air and taking all the weight off of the suspension, that isn't the sound you're hearing- it's likely the blown shocks/struts, bad sway bar links, or bad balljoints.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No set of stock springs should have slop when they're at full droop- the set you see in the junkyard either isn't stock, or is stock and has been cut.
The front struts were thrown in the trunk and they have compression. Im thinking maybe the rears are different by design, although that sounds odd.

I have looked very closely at the junkyard rear springs and they appear factory stock, the ends of the springs are painted, the tops are leveled, and there is a visible chamfer at the end of the coils, something that resembles proper machining.

But on the other hand the wheels that appear to have been on the car are 17"....nobody runs 17" rims on stock suspension, looks stupid.
(I really want to find some definite answers because on a discount day $23 bucks for a spring is pretty damn good, no shipping needed)

Trust me, I as much as you guys don't want me buying and installing junk on the car....junk already on my car right now!
But I don't like turning away from something out of ignorance. If I can prove these pieces are good, I can save myself some good cash.

....Now to find unloaded spring heights of stock rear springs.....hmmm:smilejap:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Now that my car off the stands today you are going to make me jack it back up and pull a wheel just to see arn't ya? If you need to know tonight i'm gonna need a boobie pic. With Preludepower written on your finger that is pointing at one so we know it's you. I'm half drunk and not wanting to do it but in the name of shenanigans I would.

I may pull one tomorrow anyway if you can wait a day. I blasted and painted a rotor so now that side looks funny with a rusted one. Mine has H&R on stock in the rear but should answer if they move or not.

I found this in my notes for a SH. Info was from the internet.
Springs SH:
Free length of the front springs - 39 cm = 15.3543 = 15 3/8"
Free length of the rear springs - 36 cm = 14.1732 = 14 3/16"

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naaa it's no biggie, don't go out of your way. Helms wasn't any help, and so far I havent found the base spec. I appreciate it anyways.

It's 5 o' clock somewhere.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just to chime in real quickly, I noticed you mentioned "tire eating" in your 1rst post... In my experience, even when your car is slammed and you have quite a bit of camber going on your tires should wear in pretty nicely even when compared to a regular height vehicle. Its when your toe is out of spec mainly that will cause your tires to wear prematurely. If you've been having tire wear issues might want to check your alignment.

Good luck with your suspension.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
old dude, man it's no prob. Like I said you're too nice.

G-wiz--Can you adjust that on a stock rear suspension? It eats the very inner edge where it turns into sidewall.

·
Registered
241 Posts
old dude, man it's no prob. Like I said you're too nice.

G-wiz--Can you adjust that on a stock rear suspension? It eats the very inner edge where it turns into sidewall.
Toe is definitely adjustable on the front and rear end suspension of the prelude.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
I know at a certain point, you may run out of adjustment in the rear to correct toe, especially if you're lowered quite a bit.

Source: I ran out of toe adjustment and had to buy Megan toe arms to get my car dialed in correctly.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess you gotta learn some things the hard way. So sure enough I went back to the junk yard and tore one of the struts off and inspected it in the light.

As you can see by the small sharp edge left behind, it has been cut.

MLM, I was wrong, you were right. :smilejap:

EDIT: I'll host the pictures later tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
I sometimes wonder what goes through some peoples heads that do stuff like this. Other times i'm glad i don't know. Has to be a scary place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts