Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so i bought my first prelude about 3 months ago and I have no clue how the speakers work. I'm buying new speakers soon for the fronts but I am curious about the rear ones? They are there but do they not work?

Also what's the size for the front speakers? I heard 6.5" but u gotta cut something out? Sorry i'm new to all this

& Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm just curious of why.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
hey guys, so i bought my first prelude about 3 months ago and I have no clue how the speakers work. I'm buying new speakers soon for the fronts but I am curious about the rear ones? They are there but do they not work?

Also what's the size for the front speakers? I heard 6.5" but u gotta cut something out? Sorry i'm new to all this

& Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm just curious of why.
6.5" for the front as long as you don't buy Alpine speakers. Their 6.5" speakers are more like 6.75" speakers.

If your rear speakers aren't working, check the wiring behind the deck and the wiring connections on the speakers. If all that seems fine, they may just be blown. You can also take one of those front speakers that you know works and temporarily plug it in back there. If it works, then the rear speakers are shot. If it doesn't work, check all the wiring.

·
Registered
686 Posts
6.5s work great in the front, all you need to cut is the plastic on the door card since aftermarket speakers tend to be deeper than the factory ones, after that I would recommend taking the clips off the factory speakers and soldering them onto the aftermarket ones. this makes taking the door cards on and off a lot easier...

The rear is a little bit trickier, our cars have an acoustic feedback system that doesn't really work with aftermarket speakers so use this link to help with that. its easy as long as your not color blind.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325519

I have Polk audio 6.5s in front, 6x9s in back, two 10 inch subs, an alpine 1000 watt amp in the trunk, and a midrange JVC head unit. if you haven't bought anything, yet this setup has served me well for about 4 years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only thing I will say is that Alpine 6.5's and kenwood 6.5's both fit fine in my front doors and cause ZERO issues. maybe the old school ones do but a lot of newer speakers are slimmer and not near as deep. I had to cut most of the not the entire basket out though which is hard to avoid with any 6.5" speaker regardless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only thing I will say is that Alpine 6.5's and kenwood 6.5's both fit fine in my front doors and cause ZERO issues. maybe the old school ones do but a lot of newer speakers are slimmer and not near as deep. I had to cut most of the not the entire basket out though which is hard to avoid with any 6.5" speaker regardless.
Ya I went to a local vision store & the guy told me that the Kenwood 6.5" would just fit perfectly. But I've seen the Kenwood one and I noticed it had 4 holes for screws and I checked my OEM ones and it only had 3 :/ Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Ya I went to a local vision store & the guy told me that the Kenwood 6.5" would just fit perfectly. But I've seen the Kenwood one and I noticed it had 4 holes for screws and I checked my OEM ones and it only had 3 :/ Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
A lot of aftermarket speakers have multiple hole patterns, I've been lucky with both cheap Pioneer ones and also Polk ones. If you don't want to drive screws into "wrong" spots in the plastic basket (which would probably work fine), just go find speakers that don't require it. :)

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
The Alpline 6-1/2" measure 6-3/4" and Crutchfield lists them at the larger size as well. You have to do too much modifying to consider them to "fit fine". I installed them, but it'd recommend going with a smaller size if you're dead set on Alpine. All other brands should be true to size and would only require cutting the back of the basket if they're too deep.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm currently rocking Kenwood 6.5 4 way front's and kenwood 6x9 4 way rear's with the newest alpine 164bt head unit single din and plug and play alpine 445 power amp which fits right behind the cd unit and dosen't budge and is stealthy : ) Just need to change out my oem tweeters and It will be staying like that untill I eventually go New all around and run all new 16GA wire and do a proper amp and most likely a dual din with nav, still car will never see a sub anyways. Also for the 4 holes literally just when the door panel is off drill a extra hole a bit smaller then the self taping screw or bolt/nut you use haha simple : ). Thinking I may go to alpine type r's all around next. Still kind of stuck on a tweeter setup though for now hmmmm,

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I'm currently rocking Kenwood 6.5 4 way front's and kenwood 6x9 4 way rear's with the newest alpine 164bt head unit single din and plug and play alpine 445 power amp which fits right behind the cd unit and dosen't budge and is stealthy : ) Just need to change out my oem tweeters and It will be staying like that untill I eventually go New all around and run all new 16GA wire and do a proper amp and most likely a dual din with nav, still car will never see a sub anyways. Also for the 4 holes literally just when the door panel is off drill a extra hole a bit smaller then the self taping screw or bolt/nut you use haha simple : ). Thinking I may go to alpine type r's all around next. Still kind of stuck on a tweeter setup though for now hmmmm,
I feel like you ignore what I'm saying or something...If you want to go with Alpine 6.5" speakers up front, you're going to have to cut the shit out of your door panel. They say "6.5", but they're actually 6.75" and won't fit in the hole. It's not the depth of them, it's the diameter of the whole speaker. I cut the shit out of mine a while ago and I wish I would have just gone with another brand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts