Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '89 SI MT and the rear engine crossmember/support cradle is cracked and needs replacing. I know it has to match my tranny, manual vs auto, but is it the same for all 3rd gen Preludes or do I have to get only a '88 or '89?
Thanks. I just wanna make sure I find a picknpull with the right one.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this part. How did it get cracked and where on it? Just curious. Logical is an accident that pushed the wheel out of place but that doesn't always has to be the case.

Anyway I was unaware of it needing to be tranny specific. Maybe if you have a manual tranny and put in automatic if the auto is bigger in some area. I don't ever recall but could be mistaken of people needing to swap this out doing the auto to manual tranny conversion. I would think the only difference would be the separate bracket that the rear tranny/engine mount is located in. I am pretty sure but not positive people don't switch out the rear crossmember when switching to 4ws but could be wrong.

In cases like this you can go to http://hondapartsnow.com and open several windows of it and create each type of 3rd gen and check part numbers. But just because you might find a different part number doesn't necessarily mean the other part won't work.

Let me know what you figure out. I haven't but would like to get a couple of these as back up due to them being the weak link in the collision/accident scenario I mentioned. Been documented twice onhere over last 12 years. You could use this thread to document later on and report back how hard it was to remove. I have removed the front rack of 4ws lude but it 9 years or more and don't have the foggiest memory how much harder it would of been to remove the crossmember. Ofcourse there might be something on that in the online factory shop manual at http://1funryd.com or the factory reprint shop manual from http://helminc.com if you have one or want one or ebay.

EDIT: They all should bolt up at either end the same to the body/chassis and both would have the same ends for the front lower control arms. If there is any difference it is in the middle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cudaboy. Not sure where your name comes from but I also have a '68 Cuda Fastback.

I did some reading before posting and saw some posts saying manual and auto tranny supports were different. May be possible to adapt either but I'd rather not make it any more difficult to replace than it will be.
I bought the car back in 2002 and it had a salvage title from an accident that the owner did not want to keep it, so it went to the insurance company. Repairs were made and everything looked good. Many years later, I guess a tiny crack got bigger and now the front wheel will not align. Crack is now very obvious and is not repairable.
I'll do some more checking on part numbers but was hoping someone knew.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Nickname was given and spoken buy all my classmates in H.S. I was driving my dads 70 and restoring mine full tear down. That was almost 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Thanks cudaboy. Not sure where your name comes from but I also have a '68 Cuda Fastback.

I did some reading before posting and saw some posts saying manual and auto tranny supports were different. May be possible to adapt either but I'd rather not make it any more difficult to replace than it will be.
I bought the car back in 2002 and it had a salvage title from an accident that the owner did not want to keep it, so it went to the insurance company. Repairs were made and everything looked good. Many years later, I guess a tiny crack got bigger and now the front wheel will not align. Crack is now very obvious and is not repairable.
I'll do some more checking on part numbers but was hoping someone knew.

No difference all of them are the same so go pick to your hearts content.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The crossmember itself (the piece where the lower control arms, steering rack, etc. mount to) is identical for all 3rd gens. Some stuff that bolts to it might be different, like the 4-way vs 3-way T-fitting for the power steering on 4ws vs 2ws models, but that stuff can easily be swapped over.
When I had an accident(understeered and hit a curb) in my 91 4WS 5 spd, and had to replace that part, the one I got came from an 88 2ws auto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts