Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to tighten up the rear deck brake light? Mine seems to be very loose and rattles like shit from my bass. I haven't been able to check it out yet, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

`John

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
As I recall you have to get in the trunk and tighten the bolts that hold it from the inside.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
there are clips you can get to from underneath in the trunk. be sure those are all secured.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
97preludeN.O. said:
not to thread jack but is it illegal to not have a third brake light? cause i just want to ditch mine all together
if you have an oem spoiler you can get rid of the light in the back window. but yes, you're supposed to have a 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Boosted521 said:
if you have an oem spoiler you can get rid of the light in the back window. but yes, you're supposed to have a 3rd brake light.
I think if you recarpet it there's not a cop in the world that can prove you ever had one. I always thought it was only 2 brake lights required... something like that. I didn't use one in my old lude and I got pulled over for EVERYTHING except that, i'd just take it out if it bugs you that much, I know mr. w7's car probably bounces off the ground when that thing hits.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I checked it out, and there seems to be 2 clips that hold it down on the inside of the trunk...

However, there is no way to "secure" them any tighter. From inside the car, I can move the upper brake light all around; back/forth, side to side...How the hell can I secure this thing more?

Also, is dynamatting the rear deck something that most people do? I asked a couple of audio shops and they say for the rear deck it'll cost like $225 since it's a pain in the ass removing the seats/deck etc...

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
97preludeN.O. said:
not to thread jack but is it illegal to not have a third brake light? cause i just want to ditch mine all together
it's against DOT regulations yes....plus it's stupid not to have one...unless you relish getting rearended at traffic lights. :devil:

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
It's not hard to get the rear carpet out of the car. There is no nee dto remove the back seat to do this either. Simply pull down the rear seat back, remove the cover over the speakers ( U need to do that from the inside of the trunk), remove the c-pillar interior trim panels (theres like 7 clips on each one). You can go to the handa acc. site look up the rear window shade for this car check the instructions out and it tells you exactly how to remove those trim pieces. Then remove the back carpet. I replaced mine with an sh one.

Try some foam tape one the underside of the lamp to firm up the hold between the clips and the rear deck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet, thanks...I'll have to check that out

btw, what's the diff. from the sh deck and base?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
has anyone ever been pulled over for this? I didn't realize it was required...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
if you had a w7 you'd want to get rid of it too, and if you replace the carpet you can argue the your car didn't come with one. the rattle sound comes from the plastic inside hitting the plastic around it, or does it actually hit the window? you should be able to seal it up with silicone or something and stop the sounds. maybe...

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
After many questions over time I though I might as well break this down for everyone who has a base model with a lighted rear spoiler and wanted to get rid of the interior one by replacing it with the sh rear deck carpet.
These part numbers are for an sh type rear carpet.
97-99 sh part# 84500-S30-A20ZA
00 sh part# 84500-S30-A30ZA
01 sh part# 84500-S30-A22ZA
All have a list price of $83.63 I'll sell them for $61.00 plus the exact cost of shipping. No hidden handling fee or other charges. I do not have them in stock and would have to order it in before I could ship to you. I do not know the difference between the part numbers though. You would have to figure out which one you would want. I used a 99 sh carpet in my 99 base.
By the way if you find it cheaper let me know, I will try to beat anyones prices. PM me and I can drop you our 800 number, or drop me an email.

Mike
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts