Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight fellas,

we're trying to find how to read the codes manually without dragging our asses to autozone. I've read in 420834028 threads that it can be done with a paper clip manually, while looking at the flashing lights.

anyone got a link? or can explain it, thoroughly??

edit: it's the stock Ecu for a 97 ss.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm
^seems to be a pretty good, true info link.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
you put the paperclip in, it shorts the connection. (blue, radio side/passanger side, behind carpet)
turn ignition to on be ready with pen and paper is what i do
then mark a | for long, and s for short, then count them up. i usually do it a couple times per code, to make sure i get the same # each time.
then look up that # on one of the various places, tpc being a very good one. or the helms has all the codes also.

Reactions: 2qu1k4u

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it the same as the p28 method?

there is a service connector on the under side of the passenger kick panel on the center console. Pull that off and it will expose the blue box with the connector in it. Unplug the connector from its housing and put a paper clip in each female end.

You will need to have the p28 installed and the CEL on with the car in the ON position.

fast blinks = 1 long blinks = 10 be sure to count them right. After it is done with the code, there will be a break and it will start blinking again.

NOTE:
If it does not blink and remains solid, there could be a few reasons for this. Just do what i said above and get back to me.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I know this is kinda besides the point, but dosen't walmart supercenter have scan tools for like 80 bucks?

Me and my buddy saw a couple just hangin out on the shelf over there, i remember we were like holy crap a scan tool for 80 bucks, every household should have one. I wonder if they work well.

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
LudeNLascivious said:
I know this is kinda besides the point, but dosen't walmart supercenter have scan tools for like 80 bucks?

Me and my buddy saw a couple just hangin out on the shelf over there, i remember we were like holy crap a scan tool for 80 bucks, every household should have one. I wonder if they work well.
i got mine off ebay from china looks ghetto but so are the walmart ones i guess and it's never craped out so i dont mind and hey it cost me 20$ and 20$ shipping :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
just remember to clear the codes after your sure you got them all or else next time you will be getting codes that are already fixed.

To clear the codes either pull the fuse titles Hazard or ECU or ECM for 15-30 seconds (on 4th gens its Hazard but not sure about others) then put it back. Or you can pull the neg. terminal on the battery for 15-30 seconds.
Then just check if its cleared which it should be.

·
Registered
638 Posts
i went to autozone today and they read it to double check.. it was two codes a P0700 and another transmission code. the guy cleared the codes and the light went off. still have to call the transmission place and tell the guy what the codes were, so if it needs to be fixed he will see that its done free of charge.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
its easy i thanks
lmao are you going to say the same thing in each thread?
your posting habits are putting you on a downward spiral of annoyance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.